1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

HTC: Locked Bootloader Forever!!!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by WenWM, Aug 4, 2011.

1. WenWM

WenWM Premium Member Premium Member

[​IMG]
    The old HTC once loved their strong development community; the new one seems to care a lot less. The latest news coming from HTC regarding their bootloader policy is not too surprising. Like with any company that gets popular with the carriers, they are making decisions that will keep their new best friends happy.

HTC recently went back on their policy again about “unlocking all future phones’ bootloader.”They announced that their entire line of future phones WILL still be shipped with the locked bootloaders we have grown to hate. Unlike a few months back, they will have their new web-unlock tool available for those that still want to hack their phones. This new method will, of course, eliminate your warranty, and sadly, not all phones currently available will be able to use it.

What do you guys think?

Via: GSMArena
  2. WoZzY

WoZzY The GRD Dev Team Premium Member Developer

They have to do what they have to do to make profits .....as long as they have the web tool for us to use then its no Big deal
  3. riguy156

riguy156 New Member

that some it up for me moto better follow the crowd
  4. WenWM

WenWM Premium Member Premium Member

Think about it this way... If they switch it up this quick because it makes the carriers unhappy.. then what's going to happen in the future. Let's say Vodafone doesn't like this tool, then they'll introduce exceptions and it'll all go down hill then.
    Just saying, not a good sign.
  5. tcayton49

tcayton49 New Member

Isn't this the way it should be? People who really want to root their phone will be able to and they will know that it will void their warranty. People who could care less about rooting...well, they wont care.
  6. Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0 New Member

first let me say i am all for this community. i will always root my phone and mod it...but i dont understand why people are crazy mad about this HTC situation...bottom line is that HTC is a company. A company who needs to generate profit. And if they are willing to have a web unlock tool that unlocks the bootloader...run with it. We can all understand why rooting voids your warranty right? HTC is giving us what we want while at the same time getting what they want. It's win-win.
  7. Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0 New Member

exactly! Didnt see ur post prior to writing mine btw lol
  8. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

I knew people would not like this decision. But this is probably the best we going to get. This is probably the only thing they could get the carriers to buy into. It is just not about us. If they put out an unlocked phone that vzw did not approve then vzw will prevent it from working on their network. If you want a fully unlocked device out of the box then get a nexus. I applaud htc for doing something. And if moto unlocks their device expect them to do this as well.
  9. WoZzY

WoZzY The GRD Dev Team Premium Member Developer

well we will have to cross that road when we come to it but i would rather have a company trying to let us have a unlocked bootloader instead of having a company like motto just locking down the bootloader so tight with out the option of it being opened
  10. sb1831

sb1831 New Member

I never thought they would ship phones with unlocked bootloaders to begin with. I was always under the assumption that the bootloaders would simply be UNLOCKABLE. Who honestly is delusional enough to think that insurance companies and carriers would have went for phones shipping with unlocked bootloaders?
  11. Ambushbug

Ambushbug New Member

I agree. I mean they are giving us a method to do it with the web tools, but they have to put some kind of liability on the consumer/user. Yes a lot of people will root their phones successfully with no issues and will know what they are doing, but the plain truth is a lot of people are going to screw up their phones. Their has to be some sort of warranty voiding element to it for this reason.
  12. bp328i

bp328i Theme Developer Theme Developer

I think what everyone is forgetting is there is a huge difference between locked and encrypted. HTC locks and Motorola encrypts. Haven't most of HTC's phone been locked?
  13. FrellingFrakker

FrellingFrakker New Member

I think this is the only viable move by HTC. There is always a risk with an unlocked phone of screwing it up. By putting that decision on the shoulders of the phone owner, HTC is transferring that liability.
  14. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

only thing that would make sense, really...were people really thinking verizon would allow fully unlocked phones on their network with no way to track who's doing what to them?
  15. Detonation

Detonation New Member

Umm, talk about an incorrect, misleading title. Having a tool that lets you unlock the device does not mean they are "locked forever".
  16. MattHenson20

MattHenson20 New Member

Drama ploy, lol :)
  17. jengas kahn

jengas kahn New Member

i think this is a step in the right direction. probably as far as the developer community is going to get. i agree with having some kind of warranty voiding process when rooting a phone. it's a person's own decision to root and they must take responsibility for anything they do that may result in the phone's failure. carriers or oems can't be dishing out 500$ phones for free.

the thing i worry about though is what will happen if a person roots a phone, rom's, etc. and then has a problem with the hardware that has nothing to do with whatever they did to the software. like if i return to the store with my phone completely back to stock and running perfectly normal but my volume rocker is broken and verizon writes me off by saying "you agreed to void your warranty..." i'm going to be angry.
  18. sb1831

sb1831 New Member

My guess is the phone will more of less have a 1 year warranty against manufacturer's defects on hardware of some sort. This is why people need to read things before plunging in headfirst. Of course regardless of the situation there will be those that claim they didn't know or were confused.
  19. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

Their phones were already going to come with locked bootloaders and unlockable via the web tool. This isn't anything new.

And frankly, why wouldn't carriers like this? They will know how is unlocking their phones, the warranties will be void so they wont' have to replace a phone that they know is being hacked with.
  20. havens1515

havens1515 New Member

I agree with both of these statements. On the one hand, it's AWESOME that they are giving the choice to the consumer. It is not necessary to have ALL phones unlocked, but it is nice to have the option. As we've seen in the past, they don't need to even give us that option, and are likely only doing so to shut up people like us.

On the other hand, since it IS a web tool, they COULD potentially remove it at any time without any notice. Also, being that it's a web tool, they could (and likely will) mark your account or somehow note that you no longer have a warranty, or that at least part of your warranty is voided. And who knows what else they will do once they know you're unlocked... carriers could charge you more based on that fact, or they could use it as a reason to later cancel your service, who knows.

It would be nice if the phones came with software (either on a disk, or on the phone, or whatever) that allowed you to unlock the bootloader. At the same time though, some noob would probably do it without realizing what they are really doing.

Bottom line: They are at least giving the user a choice to unlock it, and that's definitely a step in the right direction. But at the same time, users may want to make sure they read the fine print.
Search tags for this page
htc inspire bootloader locked
htc one from relocked bootloader to unlocked cell phones
incredible 2 locked bootloader
lock bootloader dinc2
locked bootloader htc incredible 2
relock bootloader htc inspire
relock bootloader htc thunderbolt

relock htc bootloader

relock htc thunderbolt bootloader