"HTC Incredible" Start-up Loop Problem

thehagbag

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post, and I'm somewhat of a noob to this, but here goes: I rooted my phone with unrevoked last week, and installed ROM Manager and Cyanogen Mod (latest stable). Everything was working smoothly until yesterday, when I realized that it's been stuck in a non-stop restart loop (continually restarting, showing the "HTC Incredible" logo). I've tried hard booting (POWER + down volume), but every option within that menu starts the loop again. "Recovery" shows the recovery menu, but disappears after ~3 seconds to start the loop again.

I've tried downloading/flashing the clockwork recovery image (downloading the file for HTC Incredible + renaming to PB31IMG.img + placing on the root of my SD card, which is fat32); this apparently did nothing. I'd be happy to do a factory reset at this point, but this selection doesn't work. Any thoughts/assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hagbag

.ohms.

Reaction score
which recovery did you use? and you need to rename it PB31IMG not PB31IMG.img. I hope this helps.

OP
T

thehagbag

Reaction score
No, same issue (removed the "img" extension....when I selected recovery, it flash to the green lettered recovery screen for 2 seconds, and then rebooted). I'd like to know if it's possible to somehow re-install the boot software, because it seems corrupted to me. Any thoughts? Thanks!

.ohms.

Reaction score
go here Inc. Recoveries | doug piston and grab the 2.5.1.2 version and follow the instructions at the top. Rename it PB31IMG, and flash through hboot. it should automatically recognize it and do its thing. but if it still doesn't work then I would highly suggest you drop Doug Piston a pm here at this site, he is the master!

OP
T

thehagbag

Reaction score
I downloaded the suggested file from Doug's site, and renamed to PB31IMG (no .zip), and placed on the root of my sdcard. I hold power + down_volume, and select the first highlighted option (which is HBOOT, with FASTBOOT highlighted). Here's what it says:

SD Checking...
Loading...[PB31DIAG.zip]
No Image!
Loading...[PB31DIAG.nbh]
No image or wrong image!
Loading...[PB31DIAG.zip]
No Image!
Loading...[PB31DIAG.zip]
No image or wrong image!

Seems like it wants the .zip extention. Weird. Why would that be? Thanks for your help on this. If all else fails, I'll try to ping Doug.

throwaway

Reaction score
Your original problem (the reboot loop, prior to your image flashing hell) sounds a lot like an issue I had with my Incredible overheating during reboot. Leaving the back open and sitting on a fan for a few minutes got me able to boot, do a factory reset, etc.

When I was flashing, I always left the images with a .zip extension and they loaded, have you given that a try?

OP
T

thehagbag

Reaction score
Yeah, I've tried booting them with/without the .zip. Still can't figure it out, but I'll keep trying.