HTC Incredible Camera Issues

manticore

Reaction score
As in - it sucks! Indoors, anyway. Pictures are almost always blurry. As a semi-professional photographer I understand camera shake. This thing suffers from horribly slow shutter speeds indoors, and the 'flash' isn't really a flash but just an LED light that washes out the pictures more often than not. OK, so the camera is probably on the bottom of the list of reasons I bought the phone, but I was hoping I could leave my point-and-shoot at home (I always have at least that camera with me). Sadly, because the quality of the built-in camera is so poor I still need to carry it.

Anyone else experiencing this? Maybe my standards are set too high?

brochaos

Reaction score
have you ever used a motorola droid (OG, d2 or dx)? they are a bagillion times worse. if that makes you feel any better. i would trade anything to have the camera from my gf's dinc in my phone.

one thing i found odd is that on my d1, even with the flash on, the shutter still locks at 1/10, as if the metering wasn't taking into account that the flash was on. so yes, now because of the slow shutter speed you get blurry pictures that are overexposed. anytime you use a flash, the shutter should lock at 1/60...

paynomind

Reaction score
Yeah, the camera has issues.

I can get amazing pictures in daylight, or with pretty good lighting.
(see first attachment)

But the flash? Ugh, its horrible. It washes out EVERY time. (See second attachment)

I turn the flash off always and try to brace myself against a wall or table to keep the shake to a minimum in low-light situations. It works sometimes, not others.

I've yet to try a trick that I thought of a few days ago: Have my wife turn on her Inc flashlight, while I take a pic with mine without the flash. Maybe that would allow the shutter to compensate correctly.

brochaos

Reaction score
can you post the exif for that overexposed one?

Yeah, the camera has issues.

I can get amazing pictures in daylight, or with pretty good lighting.
(see first attachment)

But the flash? Ugh, its horrible. It washes out EVERY time. (See second attachment)

I turn the flash off always and try to brace myself against a wall or table to keep the shake to a minimum in low-light situations. It works sometimes, not others.

I've yet to try a trick that I thought of a few days ago: Have my wife turn on her Inc flashlight, while I take a pic with mine without the flash. Maybe that would allow the shutter to compensate correctly.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
lol, yes the cameras on these devices aren't the best, and they're not supposed to be. In fact, people should be happy these phones are coming with cameras up to 8MP, i know I am, and it performs beyond my expectations.

Yes they're grainy, and hard to take a nice still picture, but hey it's a phone. I never owned a camera myself, not a picture kind of guy, but I just snapped a pic while driving today (which i honestly do not recommend but it was a nice car) and it turned out great, imo.

paynomind

Reaction score
can you post the exif for that overexposed one?

But the flash? Ugh, its horrible. It washes out EVERY time. (See second attachment).

Exif info as follows:

Camera HTC Droid Incredible
Focal Length 4.9 mm
ISO Speed 724
X-Resolution 72 dpi
Y-Resolution 72 dpi
YCbCr Positioning Centered
Date and Time (Original) 2010:12:11 23:29:37
Date and Time (Digitized) 2010:12:11 23:29:37
Color Space sRGB
Compression JPEG (old-style)
Data Length 264
Preview Image Width 816
Preview Image Height 488
Preview Quality 85

I imagine there are some settings I can adjust, but I can't imagine changing for every photo.