HTC Increbile an Exchange

dstrbd488

Reaction score
Thinking Of Goinig With One OF The Droid Phones

I am thinking of getting either the Moto Droid or the HTC Incredible this week. I am currently carrying 2 phones one of which is the original ENV for personal use and a Motorola Q for work. This phone would hopfrully replace both of them. I guess my main concern is syncing with our exchcange server for work use. I have read various things concerning syncing and I have gone into the verizon corperate store and talked to the folks there and of course I got the oh yeah it works perfectly all the time no problems answer. I am a construction inspector and being able to get emails in the field is crucial for me. if these phones are not up to par for this at this time I will probaly hold off on my purchase until a later date and maintain my current phone set up as there is really nothing wrong with either phone I just want somethng new with bells and whistles. Please lets try not to turn this thread into a my phone is better than yours type thing because that seems to be the norm. I just need to know about syncing email, my outlook contacts, and calender from my exchange server

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
either of those phone will be far and above what you are accustomed to at this point.. the biggest factor will be whether or not you NEED a physical keyboard. android 2.2 (froyo) is readily available for both phones, and my understanding is that exchange works well on 2.2... you'll have to double check this, and that will be the real issue for you. getting email from most places is no problem (especially with the new software), and i'm pretty sure exchange works.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Many people have experienced problems with the Droid in relation to Exchange server support. The best advice seems to be to download (and pay for) the Touchdown app if you're going to get a Droid. It is specifically designed to work with Exchange and (with some exceptions) seems to do the job.

My impression (based solely on claims from sales literature) is that the Incredible has better support for Exchange. You might try asking about it on the Incredible board here to see if that impression is correct.

And as noted in another post above, 2.2 is supposed to have improved Exchange support, as well. But you won't be able to test that claim until you have a phone with the 2.2 update installed. And unless you're very adventurous I would NOT recommend that you get a phone and immediately attempt to install the 2.2 update that has emerged from the dark recesses of developer land.

In any event, Exchange is not a simple email system. Much depends upon how your specific Exchange server is configured and how well the Exchange server administrator understands its intricacies.

Once you've decided on a phone be sure to let the salesperson know that your purchase is conditional upon making it work with Exchange and make that a first priority before your 30 days is up.

OP
D

dstrbd488

Reaction score
I am thinking of HTC Incredible this week. I am currently carrying 2 phones one of which is the original ENV for personal use and a Motorola Q for work. This phone would hopfrully replace both of them. I guess my main concern is syncing with our exchcange server for work use. I have read various things concerning syncing and I have gone into the verizon corperate store and talked to the folks there and of course I got the oh yeah it works perfectly all the time no problems answer. I am a construction inspector and being able to get emails in the field is crucial for me. if these phones are not up to par for this at this time I will probaly hold off on my purchase until a later date and maintain my current phone set up as there is really nothing wrong with either phone I just want somethng new with bells and whistles. Please lets try not to turn this thread into a my phone is better than yours type thing because that seems to be the norm. I just need to know about syncing email, my outlook contacts, and calender from my exchange server

chartle

Reaction score
Setting up the droid to get to your exchange email is easy.

Setting up Exchange to transfer the email is a whole other issue. I called our Network support company and they tried a tried a bunch of stuff to get an iphone and a droid connected(they use the same server settings). You have to adjust some security settings on the server to make it work.

I think there is a FAQ on the FAQ's that explains the setting for the server.

Note this is not something simple. You could adjust the security to loose and open up your system too much.

Good Luck