HTC First 'Facebook' Phone Such an Enormous Flop Its Release was Pulled from UK

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-first-slide-03.png

The launch of the HTC First, (aka the Facebook Home phone), in the UK has been cancelled. We've recently heard rumblings that the phone was a colossal failure for HTC, and this seems to confirm that. Apparently, due to poor feedback from US customers, they decided to pull the launch in the UK. Here's the quote,

“Following customer feedback, Facebook has decided to focus on adding new customisation features to Facebook Home over the coming months. While they are working to make a better Facebook Home experience, they have recommended holding off launching the HTC First in the UK, and so we will shortly be contacting those who registered their interest with us to let them know of this decision.

Rest assured, we remain committed to bringing our customers the latest mobile experiences, and we will continue to build on our strong relationship with Facebook so as to offer customers new opportunities in the future.” ~ Online Retailer EE

It looks like the cost to launch the device was going to be greater than the expected numbers on sell through.

Source: SlashGear

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
HTC took a huge step forward with the release of the HTC One. However, I think they took 3 steps back with this release...

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
HTC took a huge step forward with the release of the HTC One. However, I think they took 3 steps back with this release...
FB really believed that the world doesn't want to live their lives without them. I don't know of one of my friends that are so in love with FB that they want it to totally take over their smartphone and lives. Most people check in, check a few things out, comment every now and then and move on. HTC bought into FB's fantasy and lost big. Live and learn....

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Is anyone really amazed? I like FB but a phone built around it?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Is anyone really amazed? I like FB but a phone built around it?
nope..when I watched the announcement I said it was going to be a flop...1+2 will always equal 3 :) HTC First was one of the dumbest concepts I have ever seen. I was embarrassed watching that announcement. I was thinking here are some of the highest paid people in the world and they have no clue :)

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Hated the idea from the start.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Another BIG mistake by HTC in the line of many, no wonder they are going down the tubes, the ONE will not save them, you need more than one successful product in today's market to survive, and did you read about their latest excuse for not having a micro SD card slot in the US and UK versions of the ONE, it was do to them having larger radios than the Chinese market ONE, LOL.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Facebook is quickly falling to the wayside....with the way they're censoring peoples pages...

Twitter and instagram are taking off..but we'll see...and doesn't Facebook own instagram too?

Either way...a Facebook phone....they missed their chance with that one IMHO...they should've tried this back when Facebook took down MySpace....

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Many think Facebook has peaked. Last quarter was the first time they lost users. Something in the area of 10 million. But profits were up so FB isn't worried. I wonder if that will continue?