htc evo used like an iPod touch

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by usmc111111, Oct 3, 2012.

1. usmc111111

usmc111111 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A friend of mine just bought a used evo to use like an iPod, any suggestions of what the best way to set this up? Would like to be able to turn everything off that searches for data network as the phone part will never be used so we can maximize the battery life on it

2. nubby

nubby Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You can put it in Airplane mode, or use wi-fi if you want to get some apps.

3. usmc111111

usmc111111 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Airplane mode will shut off wifi

4. nubby

nubby Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I am not sure about the evo, right now I am tethering my OG Droid with my nexus, on wi-fi in airplane mode.

5. usmc111111

usmc111111 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ya it does work in the evo, saved a bunch of time doing it that way, thanks

6. keirawatson

keirawatson New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Evo is a smartphone. The iPod is, well, an iPod. The Evo can do way more than the iPod touch, including everything the iPod can, other than access the Apple App Store.

7. usmc111111

usmc111111 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No ****, what the evo can do as a phone was never the question

8. MrCatPC

MrCatPC Member

Ratings:
    +2
    My 2 cents, non-taxable:

There may be a way to adjust the antenna or MIN ID # settings for your EVO like what I did to take a hand-me-down Moto Devour "off the grid" so that my 7yo son can "use his phone" for just games. I do keep it in airplane mode so that he can't just browse or download over WiFi, but the software adjustment was possible from a sequence of buttons at the activation screen (bypass activation on VZW) and accessing a field to input a bogus phone number as MIN value rather than the behind-the-scenes carrier-assigned phone number MIN value.

So the "phone" is now unknown to VZW carrier and could still place a 911 call since activation was bypassed, but that's all it gets from VZW beside showing signal bars for the CDMA antenna. I take it out of airplane mode & activate WiFi to download updated apps then lock it down again before my son uses it. I also created a new Google ID (Gmail account) for the device so I can push apps from Google Play/Market on my computer's browser by logging in with that account, then when I activate its WiFi the device begins downloading & installing those new apps.

That said I'm probably going to have to redo something because I activated the device as an emergency backup phone yesterday for about 18hrs before I got my Droid2-R2D2 back online. Emergency dial allows 911 calls and *228 for activation process.

Basically for my old Devour the steps involved factory reset, bypass activation, reassign MIN value, root, activate WiFi, add Google account, then personalization & apps installation. I can track down the full details for my Devour, but it will certainly be different for the EVO. Lookup threads devoted to unlocking carrier or switching to alternate wireless provider related to EVO model, that's where I started...

Re snarky iPod vs EVO response: I realize you probably mean well, but if an iPod was wanted the OP wouldn't *be* in this forum. I repurpose old hardware as much as possible. Next example project for me: modding an old laptop into hi-def HDMI media player on home network with no screen/keyboard/touchpad & bolted to back of 37" LCD TV in living room. If I wanted another set top box I'd do that instead (appleTV, Roku, whatever), but this would make better use of what's already cheap & handy.

Wish you luck & if it works out, your EVO mediaplayer would run circles around this MotoDevourPod, for sure! :)K

Search tags for this page
can i turn my htc evo into an ipod
can i use htc evo as ipod

can i use my htc evo as an ipod

can i use my htc evo as ipod

evo ipod touch

how to repurpose a htc evo
make evo like ipod

turn evo into ipod

turn htc evo into ipod
use htc evo as ipod