HTC Evo on Verizon

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mkarolian, Jun 25, 2010.

1. mkarolian

mkarolian New Member

I picked up an HTC Evo to mess around with... I was wondering, can I add the phone to my Verizon acct? I know Verizon has an "any app, any device" policy, its not taking the MEID through the account manager online.
  2. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Not without alot of hacking. Though they both use CDMA, the programming is different from carrier to carrier. For example, the EVO's 4G is setup to run on wimax while Verizon 4G will be LTE technology..so they wouldn't be compatible. I'd wait for the Droid X if I were you.
  3. mkarolian

mkarolian New Member

Right, but 4G aside you should be able to use the phone on the verizon network. The phone's radio is capable, I am just not sure how carriers "claim" certain MEIDs
  4. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Because the programming is different. You could use any CDMA phone on any CDMA carrier but not without flashing the programming of say Verizon into the EVO. Most companies no longer do this though because its a 50/50 chance of frying the circuit board of the phone..and that thing is not cheap!
  5. techdaring

techdaring New Member

Is this handset with new display or old display ? I hear that HTC EVO have new display and already shipped out.
  6. smokiedabong

smokiedabong New Member

This is what I don't like about US carriers , they act like they are in the phone selling business when they actually should be in the mobile network operator business . In Europe I could buy a phone and use it on any of the major networks : Vodafone , Orange , T-Mobile etc. I didn't had to chose an operator because they were the only ones carrying a specific phone . It's nice when you want to get the latest phone from Japan , one year before any carrier will have it .
  7. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

The X is not a LTE Device, Just 3G.
  8. dustin4863

dustin4863 New Member

OLD THREAD SORRY
    if the radios are the same cant you just call big red tell them you got a droid x off ebay have them add the esn and them your on verizons network on a evo?
  9. Backnblack

ESN will them them what device it is....
  10. dustin4863

dustin4863 New Member

got ya so unless you get a nice tech its not gonna happen?
    also is it not the same as them activating old alltel phones i have had to do that a few times and either had to go to a store or call in.
  11. Backnblack

No need to go into a store or even all VZW to swap a device. It can be all done via the web.
  12. Rouge

Rouge Member

Verizon can add the MEID into there system if you call them, but 4G and 3G would have to be off, *228 would not work. So you would need to have it manually programmed and have one of there PRL's added to the phone. Only thing is trying to get someone from verizon to do it. Even then making calls and texting would be the only part of the phone that worked since sprint has different internal data settings for pix messaging and internet connection. Good Luck.
  13. sic0048

sic0048 New Member

Why even worry about it now with the DroidX coming out? By all accounts the Drid X is better than the EVO with one exception - no front camera. But the DroidX screen is similar, has a better battery, better processor, better rear camera, better social media integration, etc, etc, etc all in a slightly thinner form that makes the phone feel smaller than the EVO.
  14. Backnblack

That is subjective...
  15. Hiroshika

Hiroshika New Member

You guys are all wrong. Verizon will not activate any phone that is not verizon branded. Theres a way to swap esns with a verizon phone, but that requires a crazy amount of hacking and its illegal. Even if you get a nice rep, he or she cant activate a phone thats not in verizons list of approved devices, nor can they add to that list. The only carriers that accept phones not branded by their own network are cricket and metro pcs and thats where you get prl flashing, which by the way, cant fry your motherboard, or anything of the sort. Its not a simple process, but its not difficult and if you fail you can just try again.
  16. Nerotoxen

Nerotoxen New Member

It's all in the radio. I used to have a vx6800 titan. I could've used it on sprint had I downloaded the proper radio for it. When we used to change roms on those you had to download either a sprint, verizon, etc radio. Not sure what the differences are in them but it would distinguish the difference between the V and the S.

All it takes is a little bit of coding to get it to work right.
    hxxp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=492214 - XDA site to a rom where you have to choose the carrier... Not sure if I'm supposed to post links so I put hxxp instead of http. :)
  17. Hiroshika

Hiroshika New Member

The problem isn't that it can't phyiscally work, verizon just won't activate it. Call them, they'll tell you the esn isn't in their listing, so it can't be activated. Or even go online and try to put it in the online esn changer. Verizon phones can work on sprint, and vice versa, we roam on their network and they roam on ours, but neither network will allow phones that aren't branded by them. Even if you replace the software, kernels, radios, prl, etc with that of a verizon phone, the esn still prevents it from being activated. You CAN change that, as I've said, but its tricky, and very illegal, and thats pretty much the only thing that could leave your phone broken and useless afterwards.
  18. barcodelinux

barcodelinux New Member

19. Hiroshika

Hiroshika New Member

its all in the fine print. its not an accident that they said device.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  20. JhankG

JhankG New Member

If this was possible, you would have seen DOZENS of threads on this forum already talking about using their Evo on Verizon. It just does not work.
Search tags for this page
can i use a htc evo on verizon
can i use a sprint evo on verizon
can i use an htc evo on verizon
can i use my htc evo with verizon
can you use htc evo on verizon
how to use htc evo on verizon network
htc evo for verizon

htc evo on verizon

htc evo verizon

use htc evo on verizon
verizon evo