HTC Evo 3D LOCKED!

King_Bean

Reaction score
So, what exactly does this mean? A locked bootloader = no rooting, correct? If so, I'm totally cool with that. My og Droid has been rooted since January 2010 and I've run dozens and dozens of custom ROMs. FOR ME, the pros of staying stock outweigh the advantages of being rooted. Thus, I wouldn't root my next Android device, even if I could. There's nothing I can do rooted that I can't do stock. Well, let me rephrase that: the things I can do rooted (overclock, wirelessly tether, run custom roms) are things that I don't care about. Plus, rooting/ROM'ing is waaaay too much work for me.

BUT if rooting/ROM'ing is a big deal for you, I TOTALLY understand why you would be pissed by these latest developments. Nevertheless, a stock Android phone is still vastly different from a stock iPhone.

Being rooted and flashing custom ROM's are two different things. I have flashed a few ROM but would not be upset by a locked bootloader not allowing it. I would be pissed if I could not root my phone.

A locked bootloader does not mean you can't root. It means it will be that much harder to develop and flash ROM's.

So, are you saying that a locked bootloader simply means that it's HARDER to root and develop ROMs but not impossible? I was under the impression that "locked bootloader" meant rooting/ROM'ing was impossible and the phone just had to remain stock.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
1 problem here

Hey King, you lost me on one point: you said "the pros of staying stock outweigh the advantages of being rooted", and I honestly can't think of one "pro" to remaining stock - unless you're talking about not voiding the warranty. Other than that, I view "rooted" as being like the Administrator on a PC and "stock" as being the guest who logs on occasionally. What can a guest do that the administrator can't? Or what are the pros of being a guest over being an administrator?

-Mike

Sorry for the lack of clarity. You're right, being rooted does have some obvious advantages to being stock. WHAT I MEANT TO SAY was that I PERSONALLY would prefer to be stock than rooted. Without going into details, I'll just say that being rooted is a huge hassle for me b/c I have no discipline and I feel the need to flash ROMs. And, in my experience, flashing ROM's leads to A LOT of time spent working through bugs, backing up apps, restoring apps, etc. etc. That's just too much work and it's not worth it for me. If I had some discipline and didn't feel the need to flash ROMs then, yes, I suppose being rooted would not much of a hassle (as someone mentions in a post below this one) but I'm not going to even bother rooting strictly for wireless tethering or root-only apps.

most probably a stability thing. ROMs always have issues that need to be addressed,whereas the stock OTAs, while might issues are relatively stable. Although to be fair, if there is an issue with an OTA its a nightmare being forced to wait for an official fix.

This is what I meant to say. I just like having a phone that works without having to think about the bugs that may or may not be present with the latest ROM I've flashed. Not to mention the insane amount of time spent on ROM'ing (again, this may just pertain to me because I didn't have the discipline to stick with one ROM).

Now, if having a locked bootloader one day prevents me from having USB tethering, I might get SLIGHTLY pissed just based on the fact that I may need USB tethering in the future (even though I virtually never tether now).

is this is assuming the carrier released roms dont have bugs. and that just isnt the facts. and whilke rom developers can fix the bugs in a day(ussually) its 2 months or never with the carriers.

King_Bean

Reaction score
Hey King, you lost me on one point: you said "the pros of staying stock outweigh the advantages of being rooted", and I honestly can't think of one "pro" to remaining stock - unless you're talking about not voiding the warranty. Other than that, I view "rooted" as being like the Administrator on a PC and "stock" as being the guest who logs on occasionally. What can a guest do that the administrator can't? Or what are the pros of being a guest over being an administrator?

-Mike

Sorry for the lack of clarity. You're right, being rooted does have some obvious advantages to being stock. WHAT I MEANT TO SAY was that I PERSONALLY would prefer to be stock than rooted. Without going into details, I'll just say that being rooted is a huge hassle for me b/c I have no discipline and I feel the need to flash ROMs. And, in my experience, flashing ROM's leads to A LOT of time spent working through bugs, backing up apps, restoring apps, etc. etc. That's just too much work and it's not worth it for me. If I had some discipline and didn't feel the need to flash ROMs then, yes, I suppose being rooted would not much of a hassle (as someone mentions in a post below this one) but I'm not going to even bother rooting strictly for wireless tethering or root-only apps.

most probably a stability thing. ROMs always have issues that need to be addressed,whereas the stock OTAs, while might issues are relatively stable. Although to be fair, if there is an issue with an OTA its a nightmare being forced to wait for an official fix.

This is what I meant to say. I just like having a phone that works without having to think about the bugs that may or may not be present with the latest ROM I've flashed. Not to mention the insane amount of time spent on ROM'ing (again, this may just pertain to me because I didn't have the discipline to stick with one ROM).

Now, if having a locked bootloader one day prevents me from having USB tethering, I might get SLIGHTLY pissed just based on the fact that I may need USB tethering in the future (even though I virtually never tether now).

is this is assuming the carrier released roms dont have bugs. and that just isnt the facts. and whilke rom developers can fix the bugs in a day(ussually) its 2 months or never with the carriers.

VERY good point. The thing is, I'm coming from the perspective of a guy who's Motorola Droid ran FLAWLESSLY stock (which, it did). If my Droid had bugs stock, who knows, my opinion would possibly be different right now.

UNC

Reaction score
So, what exactly does this mean? A locked bootloader = no rooting, correct? If so, I'm totally cool with that. My og Droid has been rooted since January 2010 and I've run dozens and dozens of custom ROMs. FOR ME, the pros of staying stock outweigh the advantages of being rooted. Thus, I wouldn't root my next Android device, even if I could. There's nothing I can do rooted that I can't do stock. Well, let me rephrase that: the things I can do rooted (overclock, wirelessly tether, run custom roms) are things that I don't care about. Plus, rooting/ROM'ing is waaaay too much work for me.

BUT if rooting/ROM'ing is a big deal for you, I TOTALLY understand why you would be pissed by these latest developments. Nevertheless, a stock Android phone is still vastly different from a stock iPhone.

Being rooted and flashing custom ROM's are two different things. I have flashed a few ROM but would not be upset by a locked bootloader not allowing it. I would be pissed if I could not root my phone.

A locked bootloader does not mean you can't root. It means it will be that much harder to develop and flash ROM's.

So, are you saying that a locked bootloader simply means that it's HARDER to root and develop ROMs but not impossible? I was under the impression that "locked bootloader" meant rooting/ROM'ing was impossible and the phone just had to remain stock.

A 'locked' bootloader means nothing. Almost all HTC phones are locked... An encrypted bootloader is what we are discussing. With an encrypted bootloader you cannot install custom kernels. So basically, even with an encrypted bootloader you can still root/flash custom roms, but you cannot install custom kernels that allow you to use any Android versions other than the last one that was signed by the OEM (OTA OR STOCK). So if you have an encrypted bootloader and the last OEM Android version is 2.1 you can never have a fully functional 2.2 or 2.3.

King_Bean

Reaction score

A 'locked' bootloader means nothing. Almost all HTC phones are locked... An encrypted bootloader is what we are discussing. With an encrypted bootloader you cannot install custom kernels. So basically, even with an encrypted bootloader you can still root/flash custom roms, but you cannot install custom kernels that allow you to use any Android versions other than the last one that was signed by the OEM (OTA OR STOCK). So if you have an encrypted bootloader and the last OEM Android version is 2.1 you can never have a fully functional 2.2 or 2.3.

So basically the ONLY disadvantage to having an encrypted bootloader is that users will be stuck on the most current version of Android until an OTA. That's what everyone's so angry about?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well if a manufacturer or provider refuses to support your device and you fall back a couple OSs...things like newer apps and interfaces may not work. It may force one into buying a phone prematurely in theory. For instance if the fascinate was encrypted none of us fascinate users would have flash until about a month ago...7months behind other phones....but luckily we had 2.2 roms.

Sent from my fascinate

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
maybe you dont understand.

So basically the ONLY disadvantage to having an encrypted bootloader is that users will be stuck on the most current version of Android until an OTA. That's what everyone's so angry about?

thats the latest android version released by the carrier not by google . i believe gingerbread was released just before christmas 19th or there abouts. thats 5 months and dropid x is just getting Gb maybe friday?? meaning by the time they the carriers upgrade the phones the version is already outdated. as i am sure the gingerbread they are releasing is not the latest source code. thats why people want phones that they can put full roms on to have the cutting edge. for alot of people and yourself this probably doesnt matter but to the community here or hackers/rommers this does make a big deal.

King_Bean

Reaction score
Well if a manufacturer or provider refuses to support your device and you fall back a couple OSs...things like newer apps and interfaces may not work. It may force one into buying a phone prematurely in theory. For instance if the fascinate was encrypted none of us fascinate users would have flash until about a month ago...7months behind other phones....but luckily we had 2.2 roms.

Sent from my fascinate

Can't argue with that. But the average Android user doesn't care about these incremental updates (obviously, the people on this forum are not "average" Android users).

thats the latest android version released by the carrier not by google . i believe gingerbread was released just before christmas 19th or there abouts. thats 5 months and dropid x is just getting Gb maybe friday?? meaning by the time they the carriers upgrade the phones the version is already outdated. as i am sure the gingerbread they are releasing is not the latest source code. thats why people want phones that they can put full roms on to have the cutting edge. for alot of people and yourself this probably doesnt matter but to the community here or hackers/rommers this does make a big deal.

Can't argue with this either. But I happen to be one of those people that doesn't care about incremental updates just as long as my current device isn't waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind. But I don't mind my device being a LITTLE behind just as long as it's functioning properly.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
this is where it gets tricky

there are many of us that just dont get gingerbread. i have been on froyo only tried a few roms and and built one and just dont see what the gingerbread hype is. with eclair to froyo(flash) this was a big thing. when icecream comes out which i believe will have some awesome features than waiting 5 months for them is gonna be a problem. but gingerbread just really doesnt have anything like flash to make most people want it. but as you see there are a lot of bleeding edge(no not talking about G2x screens :) ) that want the latest os and thats why its such a big deal with the people on here. my g2x is on froyo and was released 4 months after Gb was released should never of released with an obsolete os.. they stated gb coming sooner than you think than its this summer so they may get gb to the phone 7 months after it was released thats outdated period for me when it comes to gingerbread over froyo i personally dont care. but would not buy a phone that you have to wait on the carrier to update for this reason. the talk is dual cores wont really be fully utilized until icream sandwich well thats late this year but if you wait on the carriers it will be next summer. you may more understand when icecream has some feature you really want and your sitting with an encrypted bootloader that can get it for another 7 months after non locked bootloaders are talking about how great it is. thats how i felt with flash and how i got this terminal disease called rooting and romming.

King_Bean

Reaction score
there are many of us that just dont get gingerbread. i have been on froyo only tried a few roms and and built one and just dont see what the gingerbread hype is. with eclair to froyo(flash) this was a big thing. when icecream comes out which i believe will have some awesome features than waiting 5 months for them is gonna be a problem. but gingerbread just really doesnt have anything like flash to make most people want it. but as you see there are a lot of bleeding edge(no not talking about G2x screens :) ) that want the latest os and thats why its such a big deal with the people on here. my g2x is on froyo and was released 4 months after Gb was released should never of released with an obsolete os.. they stated gb coming sooner than you think than its this summer so they may get gb to the phone 7 months after it was released thats outdated period for me when it comes to gingerbread over froyo i personally dont care. but would not buy a phone that you have to wait on the carrier to update for this reason. the talk is dual cores wont really be fully utilized until icream sandwich well thats late this year but if you wait on the carriers it will be next summer. you may more understand when icecream has some feature you really want and your sitting with an encrypted bootloader that can get it for another 7 months after non locked bootloaders are talking about how great it is. thats how i felt with flash and how i got this terminal disease called rooting and romming.

And I definitely can't argue with this. The only thing I can say, and you already mentioned it, is that MOST of these updates are only incrementally better. They aren't revolutionary. But, like you said, IF a particular update has some REALLY cool "revolutionary" features then, yes, it would suck to be stuck with an encrypted bootloader and stuck with the "older" version of the OS. But even in this scenario, an encrypted bootloader would not substantially change my overall feeling towards Android with regards to the freedom it provides over other operating systems and I think people who are suggesting that they would run to Apple are blowing this whole thing out of proportion a tad bit. In other words, Android OS on a phone with an encrypted bootloader is still VASTLY different than iOS (whether jailbroken or not) in many different ways.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
id go back to a rotary home phone

before id buy an iphone or give apple any money that is the exhibit of greed and disrespect for its customers. your holding it wrong. steve jobs can take his money and buy android than at least Microsoft would have 1 more phone 7 user think that would make 6. :)
I think all carriers ,phone makers and os's have their pluses and minuses. but im more of a treat me right and ill give you my time and money. for everyone in my family i would push them toward motorola since they seem to have the most stable hardware and phones. and none of them would ever root or do any of this stuff. locked bootloaders/encrypted whatever is just not for me now .

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
so what if it's locked, is it encrypted is the question.

If u clicked the linked to the source and read the whole article I posted, u would see that it is encrypted in 256

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

But that is the thing, with an unlocked device you can say "eh, it was not that big a deal, or that is cool" . The rom community may be a small precent but we sparked the hype. People are going out there buying android phones cuz a few years ago when people were breaking out their iphone we were breaking out something different that allowed us to make the device our own. We may both have droids but it was totally different especially if we rooted and I was running one rom and the other guy is running something totally different. Yeah not every one care about roms but they do like seeing and having something different. Its as if the oems are saying "thanks for the hype, now we will take it from here". I say leave it open and allow people to keep innovating. Yes with openness you have the negative of people making bad roms, or apps with malware, and other bad things. But that would be like a pc not allowing you to enjoy your computer because there are viruses on the internet. There is a market for that, its called anti-virus software. Oems can do the same thing, if some one bricks their device then charge them for the rsdlite, RUU, or what ever software it takes to "unbrick" the device. Oems need to spend less time locking us out and more time improving their software.

-----------------------------RANT OVER-----------------------------