HTC Evo 3D LOCKED!

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
EVO3DDDDDD-550x421.jpg

Looks like the locked bootloader of the HTC Sensation was only the beginning of a trend that will continue with the company’s other major handset launches. It was discovered that the HTC Evo 3D will also feature an uncrackable bootloader along with secure kernel images and locked recovery mode. The signed bootloader ensures that the EVO 3D only boots with approved software builds, making the implementation of custom ROMs all the more difficult. Instead of attempting to crack the bootloader (a task that is nearly impossible due to 256 bit encryption, the best bet to gaining access to development on the handset is via a workaround that could include locating a leaked development ROM or finding a way to trick the EVO 3D’s bootloader. We’ll leave that up to the more than capable development and rooting community. They’ve faced hurdles before, but rarely have they failed at cracking whatever handset they choose.

SOURCE: Confirmed: EVO 3D’s Bootloader, Recovery, and Kernel Images All Locked Down | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Guess they're taking the Moto route. I wonder how long it is before all phones are locked like this.

davidjr621

DF News Team
Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Guess they're taking the Moto route. I wonder how long it is before all phones are locked like this.

Its not the manufacturers, its the carriers that are pretty much requiring it :(

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Meh, I was looking into that phone!!
Whatever, my X will do fine.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
The whole tethering for free thing really pissed the carriers off. We now have bloatware and slow stock phones to look forward too.

Sent from my fascinate

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
yea man...it sucks that they are all starting to lock down their phones

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
The evo 3d still has awesome specs and sense theme changer.

Sent from my fascinate

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
...i still dont want my phone locked though! I bet the SGS2 will be locked too.

Sent from my fascinate

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Meh, I was looking into that phone!!
Whatever, my X will do fine.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
i too was looking to switch from verizon to sprint for this phone..but after finding this news, i decided to stay with verizon

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
If phones start getting locked down this much, I might need to consider waiting until something unlocked releases, like Android phones should.

The phone should belong to the customer, not the companies.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Yep. I was dead set against locked bootloaders and was going to show my displeasure by voting with my wallet on release day. Sprint would have had a lot of new customers!

But it looks like I might as well hold out for a dual core 4G phone from any manufacturer on VZW

jchammer123

Reaction score
I made a decision that I'm going to stick with the FEW developer pphones that come out. I'm most likely going to jump ship and buy the Nexus S. I don't need all the crazy features like front facing cameras, and I really don't need 4g. Most of the time I use any data I'm connected to wifi anyways. And I absolutely hate the skins manufactures are putting on the phones, which is why I still use and love my trusty D1!

Sent from my Droid

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wait a min...I missed the bootloader news about the Sensation....damn. Well like with a couple of other hot topics, some folks called this.

If you think about it, HTC has actual dev phones already. The ADP1 and 2 is made by HTC, along with the Nexus One. Then you have Samsung with the Nexus S.

For real, Moto can pull the Droid 1 card and say "here ya go folks, your dev phone." Moto did change their stance with the Xoom, probably due to it being the first Honeycomb device.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the carriers are asking the manufacturers to lock the devices.

The biggest reason for this is the continued path of free tethering. It will also have a built in security feature if or when door is acquired that will logo out tethering apps by directing them to the sprint built in one.

This isn't the only phone coming that's locked and encrypted. It's just the beginning.

Sent from my Bolt using Tapatalk

Beardface

Reaction score
And this is why I keep standing firm to my belief that the Thunderbolt is the last true developer phone where the bootloader is unlockable. With the ability to load different kernels, it is the most like the Original Droid in terms of what made it popular in sheer customization, that we are likely to ever see again. Everything else, while the specs are good, your hands are completely tied in what you can do.

Developer phones are a thing of the past.