HTC Edge: First Quad-Core Phone Revealed

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought the same thing, this thing will be HUGE. There are those that are saying that event the GN is too big and it doesn't have buttons. It took me a while to warm up to 4.3, please don't start making them even bigger not.

Yeah I agree, they need more RAM, I'm betting that's bottlenecking more then the clock speed. As for not raising the speeds, maybe they're already at the limit. Once you hit the max practical clock speed you just start adding cores, just like they're doing with PCs.

it's not just about adding more cores because the clock speed has reached a practical point, it's about increasing efficiency, if they continue to raise the clock speed without making the TDP more efficient, they will end up creating processors that can only be cooled by liquid nitrogen.

not sure if you OC at all, but the only extremely effective way to overclock a cpu is by raising the multiplier, that creates more speed with very little heat increase, however to high of a multiplier and the ram cannot keep up, then you have to put a divider on the ram which can only go so high. you can then increase the "FSB" of the CPU to get more speed without affecting the ram much however then you have to start adding more volts onto the CPU which in turn creates more heat that needs to be dissipated. The dual cores they are creating now are literally hundreds of times more efficient than the first quad cores, making them do more with less... therefore they don't need to increase the clock speed.

as for bottlenecks with ram on android I found this Android Memory Analysis - Texas Instruments Embedded Processors Wiki which states at the bottom in the summary

After considering memory analysis for android system; minimal memory requirement to run basic android features (standard android source form Google Inc.) are mentioned below.

• Boot time memory : 128 MB
  • Run time memory : 256 MB
Reducing run time memory further lead android system to kill unwanted/background activities and processes very frequently, which impact user experience for which android is known for.

Disclaimer:
Memory numbers mentioned above are with respect to standard android distribution from Google Inc. with all basic features working smoothly. However one can always remove unwanted libs, applications, services etc. and make custom android, which can run on lower memory than specified in this document.

meaning that while most companies add on to android, 1GB (especially the new ones running ddr2) is over 4 times the amount you need to run just the OS... I cannot think of any single app that would take the rest of that. android is incredibly efficient at multitasking, and with the community addons and optimizations (Th3ory roms version of unthrottled comes to mind) memory usage on 1GB ddr2 ram won't be an issue for quite some time. bump it up to 2gb, give us more storage space, and you're good to go.

loki993

Reaction score
it's not just about adding more cores because the clock speed has reached a practical point, it's about increasing efficiency, if they continue to raise the clock speed without making the TDP more efficient, they will end up creating processors that can only be cooled by liquid nitrogen.

as for bottlenecks with ram on android I found this Android Memory Analysis - Texas Instruments Embedded Processors Wiki which states at the bottom in the summary

meaning that while most companies add on to android, 1GB (especially the new ones running ddr2) is over 4 times the amount you need to run just the OS... I cannot think of any single app that would take the rest of that. android is incredibly efficient at multitasking, and with the community addons and optimizations (Th3ory roms version of unthrottled comes to mind) memory usage on 1GB ddr2 ram won't be an issue for quite some time. bump it up to 2gb, give us more storage space, and you're good to go.

I understand that which is why I said it. I understand all that I just wasn't going into it here. Just suffice to say that adding cores is a way to "add" performance, ie a way to sell "better" stuff, when you cant increase clock speeds anymore.

As for the RAM thing, I don't know how android really works, but windows 7 minimum memory requirements are 1 gig for 32 and 2 for 64, don't know if you've ever ran 7 with that amount of ram, but its not fun. More ram will make any computer faster and noticeably, to a point. Though I don't know, I think android doesn't use ran they same way a PC does do it may be different.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I understand that which is why I said it. I understand all that I just wasn't going into it here. Just suffice to say that adding cores is a way to "add" performance, ie a way to sell "better" stuff, when you cant increase clock speeds anymore.

As for the RAM thing, I don't know how android really works, but windows 7 minimum memory requirements are 1 gig for 32 and 2 for 64, don't know if you've ever ran 7 with that amount of ram, but its not fun. More ram will make any computer faster and noticeably, to a point. Though I don't know, I think android doesn't use ran they same way a PC does do it may be different.

true, they are already talking about octo-core cpus for phones by 2013.. seriously 8 cores... the thing better make my breakfast and take care of me when I'm sick.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!

Agreed, even on a desktop (especially Linux) ram isn't as necessary as the processor.
The ram is like your (physical) desktop, how much paperwork can you put on it at once time, essentially it let's you multitask more. The processor actually let's you work on whatever you're working on faster.
So in Android, you don't have a lot of windows open at once (since you can't) therefore ram is only storing behind the scenes running processes. Which means the cpu is the most important thing when running an app on the to which we always do anyway.
Ram on Android (and Linux) kills applications automatically once they start filling the ram. (this would be the prefect intro to a task killer killing but I'm going to restrain myself!) ;) So even if more ram would be more effective it probably would go unnoticed by the average user, all it would be doing is storing extra apps in the background. (giving an even weaker argument to task killers!) ;) I would love an extra gig, but that's just because I would like to have more stuff running in the background, even though I already have free mem.
Don't forget though, I'm still not advocating quads... Yet... Especially not from HTC! ;) It's like megapixels everyone, it sells to customers! ;)

Abadus

Reaction score
It all depends what you do. At work I use almost all 24 gigs of ram in my machine. But I develop sun roofs for a living and opening the whole top of a car plus all the other bits takes a lot of RAM. Processor is less important for me.

Now when it comes to my android phone I love the amount of ram in my Bionic. I can open an app a hour after going to the home screen and it is still right where I left it. My OG was soo light on memory that is would close an app the second it left focus.

Anyway's it is like torque vs horsepower or something like that. In your big 4x4 you want gobs of torque, in your street car you want gobs of HP. Both have their place. (Yes I know HP is a horrid measurement system of an engine just an example)

sb1831

Reaction score
So as the successor to the Rezound, which hasn't even launched yet, this phone has a solid 9-12 months before being spotted again and nearing release.