HTC Droid Incredible Retires? Incredible HD Taking Over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Everyone just calm down. It is a cell phone. Nothing more, nothing less. Miami will chime in here when he gets a chance.

Jas O

Reaction score
Some of you may be happy about what V3RDICT just posted on twitter....the saga continues....lol

For some of us dino's who don't twitter what did it say? Providing its postable.

This can be taken different ways but he said:

"So @NathanHTC fed me some bogus info about the Inc HD. Fun times. #android #HTC"

im not sure if hes referring to 3G vs LTE or the release time period.

ok in this case i think that no news is NOT good news. i am new to these forums but miami seems like a good guy. however why we havent heard from him by now is puzzling. when he knows that there a LOT of people waiting to do so...

I don't think he sits in front of a computer all day at work. Not that he can surf on anyhow. If nothing by 8:00PM then panic, but really it's just a phone. There are alot more important things in life. That being said I am on edge waiting to hear too.

Jas O

Reaction score
I actually lol'd. Don't try to make sense around here! Unless it's 2.5...[/QUOTE]

LOL:icon_ banana:

H412D

Reaction score
My question is why would they make 2 phone a 3G and a LTE phone. Good Business sense would be to make 1 that is LTE ready and not 3G. Why make a phone that would is 3G that would be behind in 1 month when LTE comes out.. I would rather get the LTE version of the phone then 3G...

Because of a little thing called consumer markets. Did you know it costs people extra for LTE so everyone isn't going to spring for a LTE device. I surely wont since I'm not paying extra money for a plan that doesnt include my area code.

We can't bring in one aspect business and marketing if we're going to ignore the rest. Making 2 versions of this phone makes no sense for multiple reasons and it's quite easy to see why people doubt there will be 2 versions of it that actually go into production REGARDLESS if people have had two versions in their hands.

Since you brought up consumer markets we'll roll their first. How many people go to see Freddy 12 Jason 32, Saw 17 etc? Not nearly as many as went to see the first. However how many people go to see James Bond films time and time again(with the most recent being an aberration of the others;less gadgets less sales)? This is because of their individual names. From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Tomorrow Never Dies, Quantum of Solace, etc. How many people would be getting ready to go see Harry Potter 7 right now? Thats in movies where individuals go for a one time experience.

This is a product a user will carry daily on a subscription based service. If there is going to be an LTE version of this in March or April, you're giving an unannounced device 4 months to go through the entire product life cycle of introduction, growth, maturation, and and decline. In 1/2 the stages of the product the profit is either next to nothing or returning to that figure.

They're then forced to spend more money on marketing to rush that product through the life cycle, which may or may not work. This risks the loss of brand equity which they built with the originial Droid Incredible, and then you're faced with the possibility of two products with the same name (HTC Incredible HD) sitting on your shelves BOTH not selling because of lost name value because they rushed one product to market just to get it out.

Given this time frame, it's quite easy for people with a bit of business knowledge to see why 2 versions of this phone simply doesn't make sense.

Firstly, I never said they would have the same names. I actually do believe that they will have different names (Incredible 2, Incredible 2 4g).

Making two phones actually does make a lot of sense. I think you are just looking at short run which you take into account diminishing marginal returns after another is released. The long run, for a phone released now, doesn't take this into account and serves to gratify a broader, lower scale market of 3g users, as compared to the more expensive and faster LTE.

There is more profitability in twenty 3g users and five 4g users as compared to fifteen 4g users.

Manufacturing costs are EXTREMELY minimal when producing two different versions of the phone. The only difference is swapping out the radio which will not be as costly as manufacturing a completely different phone.

People assume that everyone is going to rush out and buy LTE phones and pay the extra data fee, but this is in fact not true. As I stated before, LTE isn't implemented in the majority of the US, where 3g is, so people are not going to be as willing to spend the extra money and Verizon acknowledges this. Thus, offering a 3g version will expand to a much bigger market of 3g users and isn't just focused to the domain of 4g users, and will continue until Verizon rolls out LTE to 70% of the US.

Also, I don't know what you're talking about product life cycle? This will still be selling even when a 4g version is out, so there is no reason to rush. Also have you not seen that there has been $0 spent on marketing for this phone as of now?

So yeah, two phones :blush:

nnapoleon

Reaction score
Also, is there a way to tether the Incredible HD for free? I just got an email that tether.com can be used on Androids at a one time fee. I just wanted to double check before I purchase it. The Incredible HD will be my first Droid phone, right now I'm suffering with the Storm 1...

crimton

Reaction score
Firstly, I never said they would have the same names. I actually do believe that they will have different names (Incredible 2, Incredible 2 4g).

Making two phones actually does make a lot of sense. I think you are just looking at short run which you take into account diminishing marginal returns after another is released. The long run, for a phone released now, doesn't take this into account and serves to gratify a broader, lower scale market of 3g users, as compared to the more expensive and faster LTE.

There is more profitability in twenty 3g users and five 4g users as compared to fifteen 4g users.

Manufacturing costs are EXTREMELY minimal when producing two different versions of the phone. The only difference is swapping out the radio which will not be as costly as manufacturing a completely different phone.

People assume that everyone is going to rush out and buy LTE phones and pay the extra data fee, but this is in fact not true. As I stated before, LTE isn't implemented in the majority of the US, where 3g is, so people are not going to be as willing to spend the extra money and Verizon acknowledges this. Thus, offering a 3g version will expand to a much bigger market of 3g users and isn't just focused to the domain of 4g users, and will continue until Verizon rolls out LTE to 70% of the US.

Also, I don't know what you're talking about product life cycle? This will still be selling even when a 4g version is out, so there is no reason to rush. Also have you not seen that there has been $0 spent on marketing for this phone as of now?

So yeah, two phones :blush:

^^this makes sense, i hope verizon sees it this way. its not the end of 3g as we know it when 4g emerges, the majority will still be using 3g no reason to quit making high end 3g phones.

crimton

Reaction score
Also, is there a way to tether the Incredible HD for free? I just got an email that tether.com can be used on Androids at a one time fee. I just wanted to double check before I purchase it. The Incredible HD will be my first Droid phone, right now I'm suffering with the Storm 1...

is it me or does tether.com sound like a rip-off? i'd never heard of them until they started putting ads on my facebook but you can root your phone and tether for no fee.

defTwitch

Reaction score
tether.com is legit

I used it for blackberry and it worked great

if you can root a phone to get free tether i'd ALWAYS go that route... but for the blackberry a ONE TIME fee was far better than paying an extra 30 a month for verizon to enable tethering for me.

Jas O

Reaction score
Starting in July / later half of 2011 I would guess VZW will probably quit selling 3g and start forcing people to 4G

Status
Not open for further replies.