HTC Droid Incredible 2 froze and won't turn on.

PJDP

Reaction score
My HTC Droid Incredible 2 froze and won't turn on. I removed the battery and re-installed it, I got the white HTC screen then it shut off again. I plugged it in and tried the same thing but nothing. I have had it plugged in for 3 hours now and I am not even getting the charge light flashing. Does anyone have a clue on what I can do?

Thank you all for the help. I went to the Verizon store and they traced it down to my phone trying to update to 2.3 from the 2.2 and during that time it wiped the old operating system but froze up before it installed the new version. Thus leaving me with no operating system at all. I wish there was a quick fix to this one so I could help someone else out. Great news is I did make it thru the day without my Droid even though I didn't think it was possible. My new one should be here in the morning can't wait.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:

Insidious

Reaction score
The same thing happened to my girlfriends, call tech support or go to a store and they'll send you a new one.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

ABQNM

Reaction score
Did you let the phone die completely and shut off? If that happens, there is a a known bug in some HTC phones that causes it not to be able to charge the phone when the battery is less than 5%. Not sure if the dinc2 is involved, but it sounds like it could be the issue here. If that is the case, it needs a charged battery, so take it to the verizon store.

That applies if stock and the battery died. If that is not the case, we need more information.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I run my boy's dinc2 down to zero all the time.. it shuts off by itself then we plug it in. Been doing this since day 1 pre root and still during root.

Don't think that's the issue ...

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

ABQNM

Reaction score
If I understand correctly, you get nothing on the screen at all, right? Unfortunately if so, the phone is probably toast then. You could try your boy's battery just to test it out in case, but otherwise, Verizon will have to send you one.

OP
P

PJDP

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

Did you let the phone die completely and shut off? If that happens, there is a a known bug in some HTC phones that causes it not to be able to charge the phone when the battery is less than 5%. Not sure if the dinc2 is involved, but it sounds like it could be the issue here. If that is the case, it needs a charged battery, so take it to the verizon store.

That applies if stock and the battery died. If that is not the case, we need more information.

I did the battery swap with my wife's phone and had the same result. It was at about 40% when it froze up. I went to the Verizon store and traced it down to my phone trying to update to 2.3 from the 2.2 and during that time it wiped the old operating system but froze up before it installed the new version. Thus leaving me with no operating system at all. Of course the store didn't have one to give me, shocker there, but told me to call the customer service number. Of course I didn't have a phone to do it with so they called for me and a new on is on the way.

ABQNM

Reaction score
I did the battery swap with my wife's phone and had the same result. It was at about 40% when it froze up. I went to the Verizon store and traced it down to my phone trying to update to 2.3 from the 2.2 and during that time it wiped the old operating system but froze up before it installed the new version. Thus leaving me with no operating system at all. Of course the store didn't have one to give me, shocker there, but told me to call the customer service number. Of course I didn't have a phone to do it with so they called for me and a new on is on the way.

Sorry it has been a bit of a hassle. There is a possibility the phone could still be saved, but it is up to you to try if you want since they are replacing it. You can go to this page [Download] Exclusive: Official HTC Droid Incredible 2 Gingerbread RUU 2.18.605.4 (Same As The Official Gingerbread OTA) and download the RUU which is 2.3.3 for the phone. You would have to copy it to the SD card with a card reader or another phone since you can't access yours. Then rename the file to PG32IMG.zip. Put the SD card back in the damaged phone and hold the volume down key and press and release power (release volume down after the screen comes on) to boot to the bootloader. It should give you the white HTC screen then go to a white screen with some options. It should scan the card and ask you if you want to install the update. It may take a while to load, but once complete, you should have 2.3.3. From here you can go have it check for updates to get the newest version if you want or you can stay on 2.3.3 and root if you plan to do that.

Not sure if you want to go that route, but it may save the phone before Verizon can get one to you.

aardvark502

Reaction score
Had this same problem make sure the phone is off hold volume down and power to get to hboot. Use volume down and scroll to factory data reset and select it with power. That didn't work for me it still wouldn't turn on. If that worked don't try this but if it did work the fixed it for me do the same thing except while its wiping data pull the battery. Put it back in and while it restarts it will finish the data wipe and then it booted for me. Hope this helps.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

ki3t1995

Reaction score
If none of this works, call Verizon and have them send you a new phone.

Send from my Incredible 2