HTC Droid DNA Bootloader Is Unlockable Via HTCDev!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-dna-bootloader-626x182.jpg

Good news for those of you that have preordered the HTC Droid DNA! It has been discovered that the Bootloader is Unlockable via HTCDev. So this may or may not still be working once the phone is actually released. HTC could possibly block this with a software update. The phone will remain S-On meaning you will have to flash kernels through fastboot. You will still be able to install a custom recovery, and will be able to install Roms and other mods. To unlock you will need to follow the directions at HTCDev after selecting "all other devices". Hopefully this will still be an option when we actually have the phones in our hands.

Via Droid-Life

wasatch

Reaction score
This will void the warranty on the phone. Not a big deal but, does HTC communicate to your carrier that you have unlocked the bootloader?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too excited. I will admit I thought the Rezound would have plenty of good roms and vanilla by now, but it's been awful and I think it has to point largely to Sense being so integrated. Seems like we'll finally get CM10 soon, but none of the stock roms run like they would on a Nexxus.

The hardware is great and I don't mind Sense, and the phone runs real sol. But I have to agree I've learned that if you are excited because you think unlocked means you can get a good Nexus-like experieince you will be disappointed.

Reaction score
This will void the warranty on the phone. Not a big deal but, does HTC communicate to your carrier that you have unlocked the bootloader?

Maybe this is the tinfoil hat on my head talking but I often wondered if the carrier can view apps that is installed on your phone (i.e like superuser). I'm assuming no since they havne't kicked me "yet" but it is always something to think about.

wasatch

Reaction score
The hardware is great and I don't mind Sense, and the phone runs real sol. But I have to agree I've learned that if you are excited because you think unlocked means you can get a good Nexus-like experieince you will be disappointed.

I have not used the Nexus, only read the reviews. I am looking at rooting my phone primarily so it will function as a modem when I need it to. I have not been satisfied with the solutions I have found so far. Not even interested in a laptop on a leash and bluetooth is not a satisfactory experience.

I just was wondering if there is any communication between HTC and a carrier WRT unlocking the bootloader.

Thanks for the input. It does agree with what I have found so far for the Rezound. I can't complain too much though, other than the tethering issue I think it is a great phone.