HTC Droid DNA Battery Tests Show Good Results Despite Smallish Battery

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
HTC-Droid-DNA-battery-life-tested.png

When it was first announced that the new HTC Droid DNA would have a 2020 mAh battery, many of us immediately discounted the device, assuming it would not last very long under daily use. This almost seemed obvious because the new phablet comes with a True HD 5" 1920x1080 display. Luckily, the folks at HTC did a better job at creating an energy efficient display than we guessed.

According to some newly released battery tests, the new HTC Droid DNA actually has much better than expected battery life, despite the smallish battery. That's not to say it will be winning any awards just yet. It is still outperformed by several mobile devices like the Droid RAZR MAXX (unsurprising), but what is most noteworthy is that it holds its own and actually beats some of the other flagship devices available in several areas. Here's a quote with a few more details,

The Droid DNA managed north of 11 hours of talk time, 6:40 hours of web browsing, and 7:30 hours of video playback.

These numbers, while less than the duration shown by marathon runners like the RAZR MAXX, iPhone 5 or Note II, are still up there with the best Android can offer.

It beats the Galaxy S III in web browsing times, for instance, and is slightly better than the Optimus G video playback stamina. In any case, now the only thing to worry about seems to be whether the internal storage amount is right for your needs.

Those are actually some excellent numbers. What do you think?

Source: DroidDNAForum via PhoneArena

WestOkid

Reaction score
This test is completely useless. Web browsing numbers mean little when every phone is using its own version of a browser, settings etc. The iPhone is optimized for their browser. That's why they quote browser numbers all the time. I know people with the i5. Last longer than Maxx? Lol! Brigtness settings don't tell the whole story either because each phone handles that differently from a hardware and software standpoint. Also, I don't know about you guys, but I hardly spend time in the browser. A search here and there is it. I suspect the same goes for most based on the battery usage breakdowns I have seen posted over the last year. I can post many links that contradicts this. Use common sense. HTC has the absolute worst track record on battery life. They did not suddenly figure out how to optimize the android OS better than Google themselves.

http://www.starkinsider.com/2012/11/oh-no-htc-droid-dna-battery-lasts-only-425-hours-in-test.html

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/11/16/3653508/htc-droid-dna-review

Sent from my SGS3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Caesars

Reaction score
Good to hear it's manageable, i have read a few reviews saying it doesn't last the whole day :(. I guess it just depends on the user.

Return of the Android

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3

eddie7

Reaction score
Just wait in about a month they will release the "DNA MaXX". :icon_ banana:

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
If you follow the test trail it ends up at GSMarenas, the razr maxx running ICS has 16 hours of video playback, more than double than the HTC DNA.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
In the test that GSMarenas conducted;

Talk time; 1st DRM w/ICS 21.18, 11th DNA 11.07

Web browsing; 2nd DRM w/ICS 9.12, DNA 11th 6.40

Video playback; 1st DRM w/ICS 16.35, 25th DNA 7.30.

Thanks to GSMarenas for the test results.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I think this guys review is a good one. It seems like an honest review. The only thing that turns me off is the lack of a memory card slot. Other than that I'm really liking this phone.

I went to VZW today and played with it over an hour... Everything is smooth on the phone including Sense 4+...It's a shame about the storage..

Just a couple of apps on the phone.. I added Quandrant(7800+)...and you only have 9.47 available..

ynysy7u8.jpg

°BK's pure G-Nex°

acousticshade

Reaction score
Yea, the DNA MAXX with a 3200 mah battery and 64 gig storage. Now even w/o a sd slot, that would be THE phone to have. Pleaaassseeeee HTC. Why can't you release a phone like that???

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think ppl just need to compare it to more similar batteries. Like the GS3 and One X stock batteries. Dont compare it to the Maxx, HD Maxx or Note 2, those batteries are huge. Should the DNA came with a bigger battery? Thats up for debate...but so far battery tests I've seen shows the DNA is decent with battery life.

I wonder why the RAZR isnt on the GSM Arena tests...I see the RAZR i and Maxx. Surprised the RAZR HD's arent on there too.

Last edited:

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
jroc said:
I think ppl just need to compare it to more similar batteries. Like the GS3 and One X stock batteries. Dont compare it to the Maxx, HD Maxx or Note 2, those batteries are huge. Should the DNA came with a bigger battery? Thats up for debate...but so far battery tests I've seen shows the DNA is decent with battery life.

I wonder why the RAZR isnt on the GSM Arena tests...I see the RAZR i and Maxx. Surprised the RAZR HD's arent on there too.

I kind of resented the fact the RAZR was omitted, I'm still on the fence on the DNA as phone of the month for me. RAZR was livable battery wise for me, kinda miss seeing how much time I could squeeze out of it. A game unto itself.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I kind of resented the fact the RAZR was omitted, I'm still on the fence on the DNA as phone of the month for me. RAZR was livable battery wise for me, kinda miss seeing how much time I could squeeze out of it. A game unto itself.

Yea...I have a Maxx HD now. And I see the difference in battery life. I no longer have to put my phone in Airplane Mode at work and can still use it on the ride home from work with battery to spare. (bad reception area at work, have to put phone in locker, no signal kills batteries) BUT....I felt the RAZR had decent battery life for its battery size and specs.