HTC Down, But Not Out; Taiwanese Government Will Step in to Assist

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-logo-on-phone.jpeg

Over the past few weeks/months we have heard increasingly worrisome news regarding the financial stability of HTC. Just recently we even reported that investor's are dumping HTC's stock in droves and dropped $1 Billion dollars off the company's market cap. HTC may be "on the ropes" but don't count them out yet! The company is so important to the economy of Taiwan, that the Taiwanese government is currently working out ways it can help the floundering giant. Here's a quote sharing some of the details about the request that got this ball rolling,

Speaking at a cabinet meeting, Perng Fai-nan said that the financial status of HTC is “of vital importance to the islands’ gross domestic product” and urged government to provide some financial assistance. Realizing that HTC has been a great contributor to Taiwan’s economy, he believes that the “bailout” will help boost the country’s ever declining export numbers, which have fallen for 5 consecutive months.

It's good to hear that we shouldn't give up on HTC. How many of you guys are rooting for them to make a big comeback?

Source: HTCOneForum via AndroidAuthority

npro1464

Reaction score
Thanks to my lousy experience with the Thunderbolt, I'll probably not be getting another HTC device. It's a shame, because at one point I thought of HTC as the staple Android phone maker. They are capable of making great products, but as I witnessed with my device, they make some bad ones and on top of that don't support them. That being said, I hope they're able to crawl out of their hole. I don't want to only be able to chose from Motorola, Samsung and Apple phones.

armeddroid

Reaction score
Read this earlier.
I personally like HTC. Other then the OG Droid, I had the Titan, Mogul, Touch, Touch Diamond (Microsoft OS).
Hope HTC pulls out of this hole. I want to see more from them.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Thanks to my lousy experience with the Thunderbolt, I'll probably not be getting another HTC device. It's a shame, because at one point I thought of HTC as the staple Android phone maker. They are capable of making great products, but as I witnessed with my device, they make some bad ones and on top of that don't support them. That being said, I hope they're able to crawl out of their hole. I don't want to only be able to chose from Motorola, Samsung and Apple phones.

My wife has a TB and since I am her personal tech at home, I too will never own an HTC device. The TB is such a bad phone. After several replacements, she still has issues. ROMs don't help so she is on stock right now and wifi is bad, LTE is bad, battery is horrible and honestly, SenseUI is horrible too. Sucks for HTC.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I'm hoping they pull through. When I'm ready for another phone I want another HTC. But honestly, with the way my Rezound runs, I'm not going to need a new phone for quite a while. This one is handling everything I'm throwing at it and asking for more, and it's not even rooted yet.

rowdyguy124

Reaction score
Hope things turn around for HTC. My wife loves her Rezound with Beats Audio and the ICS update. It's a great phone.

acousticshade

Reaction score
Wether or not you like HTC, they still have been innovators and have helped to drive the smartphone industry to what it is today. Their current top 3 or 4 phones are really excellent products and their phone cameras are equal or better to any other smartphone out there (except Sony's crazy 14 GP camera with a cell phone taped to it). It would be sad to see that driving force die and would leave a large void in the cell phone industry.

Now, maybe their government can get them to fire their US ad exec and get somebody competent to sell their product over here.

Escobar

Reaction score
I finally decided I'm going to upgrade to an S3 after almost 10 months with my Rezound. Camera and screen are beautiful. But the battery is terrible. I already spent the money on an otterbox and its not worth it to buy an extended battery and make the case worthless. I really hope HTC pulls through. If they can learn to put good batteries in their phones, I'll definitely go back to them. Still my favorite android OEM.

cooba

Reaction score
Love HTC

Why I like HTC:

SVDO - I can talk & surf the net on a 3g connection - no 4g where I live!!
HTC supporting unlocked bootloaders

As one other member mentioned. I also enjoyed my ppc 6800 Mogul (Window's OS) before Android was rockin.

HTC Has my Vote!!
:gotmyvote:

To bad their government has to get involved.

King_Bean

Reaction score
I LOVE HTC phones. Anyone that has ever owned an HTC phone (other than the Thunderbolt) loves them. I'm glad they're going to be sticking around.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I love HTC phones, and Sense is better than any other UI from other manufacturers. I love my Thunderbolt, and the One X is an amazing phone. After trying out the GS3 for a couple days, I couldn't get over how poor the quality was compared to the robustness of the TB and One X.

52brandon

Reaction score
I love HTC phones, and Sense is better than any other UI from other manufacturers. I love my Thunderbolt, and the One X is an amazing phone. After trying out the GS3 for a couple days, I couldn't get over how poor the quality was compared to the robustness of the TB and One X.
really? I have never played with the SGS3, but my GNEX feels more solid than my TB, never dropped my GNEX yet, but a roughly 2.5ft drop (out of my pocket) completely shattered my TB's screen. My D1 was a freaking trooper, dropped it about 6ft onto concrete and the was just a little mark. The One X looks nice though, would love to play with one but being on VZW, I don't wanna fall in love with a phone I can't have

swc2001

Reaction score
I like HTC even though I have never owned one of their products.
I dont like Governments that think a company is too big to fail though.
Do those words sound familiar? Well they should. And as you see a Stimulus style Bailout NEVER Works.
It just prolongs the patient on life support.

I say let capatalism rule!! In other words... create a SIII Killer.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are they supposed to create that SIII killer with hopes and dreams? GM is stronger than ever because the government and people of the U.S. bolstered them while they restructured; there's no reason to think the same isn't possible for HTC.