HTC DNA or Droid Razr Maxx HD?

jessieyeahh

Reaction score
I have both in front of me right now. I don't know what to do...... I need your opinions!
I don't care about the price or SD card slot, BTW.

HTC DNA Pros:
Quad core processor
2gb RAM
I have to have this phone for 2 years so I think it would handle upgrades better...
Way better camera than the Razr

Razr Maxx HD Pros:
Longer battery life
LED blinking light that can flash different colors
Motoblur
The vibration is stronger on this phone... sometimes I can't hear my DNA vibrate :(
I feel like my phone calls are clearer on the Razr

That's all that I can think of for now..
Help me out, please!

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm a Motorola guy so I might be the wrong person for this onion thing lol but I would go with the RAZR. I hate HTC lol But I would chose the DNA over the s3.

But that's beside the point lol. I need the have the bigger battery to last me all day. I also love the huge display and SD cards are essential to me..
Just my 2 cents.

holla420

Reaction score
Hmm..I would say the DNA. I hate moto always has i think the DNA kills the hd maxx in everything besides the battery.bigger and better screen quad-core awesome specs.I know I'm very happy with my DNA :-D

Psykho

Reaction score
Droid life says that the maxx hd is $199 and the DNA is $149 on Amazon right now...

Gleason81

Reaction score
I'm a Motorola guy so I might be the wrong person for this onion thing lol but I would go with the RAZR. I hate HTC lol But I would chose the DNA over the s3.

But that's beside the point lol. I need the have the bigger battery to last me all day. I also love the huge display and SD cards are essential to me..
Just my 2 cents.

I have the Razr Maxx HD also and am a Moto fan...have had several Moto phones and a few others. Moto is by far the best in overall value/quality. Moto's radios are better. Call quality better. I too was considering the DNA but could not get over the battery given screen size and the 11gb of memory it offered. Just didn't make sense to me why it was put together that way given all the other beautiful specs. Just felt like it was short in a couple of "key" attributes I needed. The Razr Maxx HD hit the mark on everything maybe with the exception of the camera but I have figured out how to deal with the camera enough to be satisfied with it.

harp666

Reaction score
I have the Razr Maxx HD also and am a Moto fan...have had several Moto phones and a few others. Moto is by far the best in overall value/quality. Moto's radios are better. Call quality better. I too was considering the DNA but could not get over the battery given screen size and the 11gb of memory it offered. Just didn't make sense to me why it was put together that way given all the other beautiful specs. Just felt like it was short in a couple of "key" attributes I needed. The Razr Maxx HD hit the mark on everything maybe with the exception of the camera but I have figured out how to deal with the camera enough to be satisfied with it.

Feel the exact same way...was really excited about the dna...and still think its a great phone,however compared to the Maxx HD,purchasing the DNA gains you a little better screen with otherwise
severe limitations.
With jellybean now out for the Maxx hd it was not a hard choice for my wife.

ambrown

Reaction score
Since I'm in the market for a new phone myself I'm pretty much in the same boat. And the Razr HD and the DNA are tops on my list.

Having owned both HTC and Motorola phones now I think they both make superb hardware. I give the edge on hardware to Motorola in general, though I was always satisfied with my HTC Droid Incredible and it survived all the punishment I put it through.

The main thing leaning me to the DNA is the amazing screen, and the size for the form factor it's great! plus I do use the camera and the DNA has a much better camera. Plus the quad core is a beast.

The Razr HD has pretty much the whole package, battery life, awesome hardware, big screen,etc., but the camera is not as good as one on the DNA, it shoots fairly quickly but quality degrades especially in low light.

The DNA is rocking sooner solid specs as well with a magnificent screen that's quite slim for it's 5" form factor. And it looks great! And that processor should be able to handle anything. Jelly Bean ships standard on it, but with the Razr HD getting updated they're pretty much on level playing ground in that respect. The downside is the battery, which isn't as robust as the one on the Razr, and that's the one thing HTC hasn't seemed to excel at, battery life lasting the whole day. And while it may not be a deal breaker lack of an SD card is inconvenient at least.

But above and beyond the phones one thing I'm waiting on is verizon to offer a deal on data. I currently have unlimited so anything else will suck. Basically if verizon doesn't offer a better deal during the holidays then I may unfortunately not be getting either phone. So it's up to you verizon...how much do you want to keep me as a customer?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
What would you rather deal with, taking crappy pics or carrying phone charger with you wherever you go? Everything else is insignificant.

Shel

Reaction score
What would you rather deal with, taking crappy pics or carrying phone charger with you wherever you go? Everything else is insignificant.

Wait... am I supposed to be carrying a phone charger wherever I go?

Honestly, I've left my home at around 7:30am on several days, with a full charge, and returned home past 11pm, and still had over 20% charge remaining.

This is with making numerous phone calls, surfing the internet, sending about 8-10 text messages, etc.

I didn't watch any movies during this time, but I have listened to music in the morning at the gym for about 20 minutes, then used the phone throughout the day, and not had any issues with the DNA's battery... unlike my previous Thunderbolt and Razr (the original one).

If the camera sucks, it's unlikely (but possible) that any software update will fix that. Perhaps get the DNA, and try it out for a few days... everyone's usage varies, so the fact I don't have any issues with battery life doesn't necessarily mean you won't.

Caesars

Reaction score
If you have can't decide yet, seems like neither are that mind blowing to you, wait for the next big thing.

Return of the Android

richiethec

Reaction score
Ambrown - if you're gonna use the new phone just like you used the Incredible, you'll get much better battery life out of the DNA - so maybe that will be all you need. That's my situation thus far.

Since I'm in the market for a new phone myself I'm pretty much in the same boat. And the Razr HD and the DNA are tops on my list.

Having owned both HTC and Motorola phones now I think they both make superb hardware. I give the edge on hardware to Motorola in general, though I was always satisfied with my HTC Droid Incredible and it survived all the punishment I put it through.

The main thing leaning me to the DNA is the amazing screen, and the size for the form factor it's great! plus I do use the camera and the DNA has a much better camera. Plus the quad core is a beast.

The Razr HD has pretty much the whole package, battery life, awesome hardware, big screen,etc., but the camera is not as good as one on the DNA, it shoots fairly quickly but quality degrades especially in low light.

The DNA is rocking sooner solid specs as well with a magnificent screen that's quite slim for it's 5" form factor. And it looks great! And that processor should be able to handle anything. Jelly Bean ships standard on it, but with the Razr HD getting updated they're pretty much on level playing ground in that respect. The downside is the battery, which isn't as robust as the one on the Razr, and that's the one thing HTC hasn't seemed to excel at, battery life lasting the whole day. And while it may not be a deal breaker lack of an SD card is inconvenient at least.

But above and beyond the phones one thing I'm waiting on is verizon to offer a deal on data. I currently have unlimited so anything else will suck. Basically if verizon doesn't offer a better deal during the holidays then I may unfortunately not be getting either phone. So it's up to you verizon...how much do you want to keep me as a customer?

ambrown

Reaction score
Ambrown - if you're gonna use the new phone just like you used the Incredible, you'll get much better battery life out of the DNA - so maybe that will be all you need. That's my situation thus far.

That's true, and honestly I could live with it even if the battery life is exactly the same as the Incredible. The lack of an SD card slot is actually more disappointing to me than the battery. Chances are I may never need an SD card in the DNA but as far as running a custom ROM it makes it hard to backup. But I'm not going to be too much of a stickler on either phone though, I would love to own either one. It's more verizon and their crappy plan that is keeping me from upgrading yesterday. I'm seriously thinking of walking in and saying, "look I want to upgrade and I want to keep my unlimited plan, and if you can't do that for me then I'm going to another carrier." then promptly go to Sprint or someone that offers unlimited (or at least something better than 2 measly gigabytes a month) since all that 4G verizon wants me to use will end up costing me triple what I'm currently paying.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

EyeDocJerry

Reaction score
DNA or RazrMaxx??

I currently have a Moto Droid X, about 2.5 years old. Works fine, but am itchy for new technology. Was ready to get the DNA---the Note 2 was too large to fit into a jean's pocket (I am male), the SG3 was 6 month old technology and is already being discounted to clear the shelves, and the Razr is again, old technology by now. After much reading, I have
decided to wait until the Spring, and get the Sammy SG4. By most accounts, it is being touted as a game-changer, and won't be out-dated within the 2 year commitment. IMHO.

cp24eva

Reaction score
What is it that you people are carrying on a phone that you need that much storage for though? I have tons of pics and albums still with over 3GB left. Some of those albums I can actually stand to delete and just pull them up over the cloud. I usually only keep like the last 10 hottest albums on my phone plus a few my old favorites. Anything outside of that I can use the cloud space to pull up. No one listens to their whole library everyday. If the mood strikes me for something not in the phone then I can eat up a little data simply to go down memory lane. And if you say "well I keep alot of movies on their." Why? No 5.5 in screen will ever replace a tablet or a regular TV. But hey, that just my stance on it. The DNA as been great to me in the couple weeks I've owned it. The only problem I have with it is that the design is so great that I don't want a case on it, but I have to because I noticed a few nicks on it. But the Razr Maxx HD is a good phone too. I'm just more concerned about the whole Moto/Google issues and what not. The Maxx takes lesser quality pics too...just saying. Either phone is good though. HTC needs to quit BSing people and get with the program. People like options. Expandable battery and space...like the rezound. They went away from that for better phone design. But hey, Apple is doing the same thing, but at least they give people the 32 GB option.

ambrown

Reaction score
I currently have a Moto Droid X, about 2.5 years old. Works fine, but am itchy for new technology. Was ready to get the DNA---the Note 2 was too large to fit into a jean's pocket (I am male), the SG3 was 6 month old technology and is already being discounted to clear the shelves, and the Razr is again, old technology by now. After much reading, I have
decided to wait until the Spring, and get the Sammy SG4. By most accounts, it is being touted as a game-changer, and won't be out-dated within the 2 year commitment. IMHO.

While the GS4 is likely to be shown off at CES next year it probably won't be actually available in the US till summer, putting it's release date about one year from the GS3 release date. I mean just because there are rumors of it showing up in the spring doesn't mean you can buy it. So you can wait till summer, there's nothing wrong with that, and most 2013 phones should be on par with what the DNA is offering, but you won't even be able to put money down on a new GS4 untill mid to late Q2 2013.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2