1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

HTC DESIRE with 2.1 and Flash 10.1 with Amoled and Snapdragon

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by armeddroid, Feb 16, 2010.

1. armeddroid

armeddroid New Member

Def diggin this phone.

HTC Desire: your Nexus One with Sense and Flash has arrived (video)

[​IMG] The one thing you'll never see on a stock Nexus One is a skinned interface like Sense or TouchWiz -- they're just not Google enough for a phone commissioned and sold directly by Mountain View. Thing is, Sense on Android has plenty of fans, and the mere thought of running it on something with as much oomph as a 1GHz Snapdragon brings tears to our eyes. The solution? The Desire, of course, featuring virtually all of the original Nexus One's mojo with a little less direct Google support, a little more Sense, and a trackpad in place of the old trackball. The 3.7-inch AMOLED display carries over, but things get interesting on the software side: not only do you get HTC's freshly-updated Sense with Friend Stream, you also get Flash 10.1 compatibility, which means you need every clock cycle of that 1GHz more than you ever thought you would. Unfortunately, North Americans, you're getting screwed on this one for the time being -- HTC is only announcing that it'll be "broadly available" throughout Europe and Asia in the early part of the second quarter, while it'll come to Australia via Telstra. Supersonic, care to save us?

Update: Promo video is now after the break (thanks, O'Neill!), and our hands-on with the device at MWC can be found here.
    HTC Desire
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HTS DESIRE FOR FIRST LOOK

HTC Desire first hands-on (updated with video)

By Joshua Topolsky [​IMG] posted Feb 16th 2010 5:32AM
    Hands-On

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Well, we just got a little up close and personal with HTC's "superphone," the Desire. What you're looking at is basically the Nexus One, sans trackball (though plus an optical touch area). Certainly the specs are the same, though you've got the new Sense UI on board for good measure. At a glance the phone actually doesn't seem as snappy as we were expecting, and there are obviously a few kinks to work out with some of the new Sense concepts (Leap for instance -- the pinch-to-card view -- was giving our demo person some trouble). Still, the Desire is definitely high on our gadget lust list right now. We're obviously reserving final judgment for a later date, but until we get some more time with this guy, feast your eyes on the gallery below.

Update: Added a quick video after the break showing the Sense UI... not behaving.

Update 2: We've been told by an HTC rep that the Sense build on the Desire unit we played with is actually quite early, so it's probably not indicative of the actual performance of the pinch-to-card view. We played with a Legend that had a later, nearly final build of the UI and it was definitely snappier and more responsive.
    HTC Desire first hands-on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yeah I bet that is another powerful smartphone...or would that be considered a "superphone" since it has the Snapdragon I wonder...
  3. armeddroid

armeddroid New Member

I certainly hope so. But now that we are seeing everything all in one.
    I have to say, its sick.
  4. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

What is snapdragon?
  5. armeddroid

armeddroid New Member

New processor for smartphones that uses less power and smarter tech to make your phone much faster.
    Anyone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Droid is running 600mhz while the Snapdragon starts you off at 1ghz.
  6. JhankG

JhankG New Member

550mhz actually.
  7. armeddroid

armeddroid New Member

lol
    Spaziba, JhankG.
    On that note, i am glad to at least see the Flash on a phone now with 2.1.
    Thas good to see and I hope that the Droid will receive the same treatment soon.
    :)
  8. MM1 Payne (US Navy)

MM1 Payne (US Navy) New Member

Dosent this kinda give us a timeline for flash? when is the phone supposed to be released?
  9. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Nice looking device.
  10. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Too bad it's going to Tmobile, that abomination of a cell phone provider (imo). :(

If you're on TMobile in the UK you can get the phone March 26th.
  11. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I wonder why these latest phones are all going to T-Mobile. /ponder
  12. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

No idea, but I really dislike TMobile. My least favorite cell carrier. Cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars but that's neither here nor there for this thread.
  13. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

One article I saw indicated this is the phone going to Verizon, also. Last I heard, the release date for the Verizon Nexus (this phone possibly) is supposed to be late March to early April. That's supposed to be very solid. Hopefully.
  14. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

this specific phone is only announced for Eur/Asia. :(

HTC Desire: your Nexus One with Sense and Flash has arrived (video) -- Engadget

but i'm sure we will see something similar stateside in the coming couple months
  15. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

I got an update from my Mobile Buzz widget saying it was going to TMob.
  16. armeddroid

armeddroid New Member

Yeah..even if its going to Tmob.. (which sux imo) i am glad to see the flash and 2.1 is on it.
    thas sweet. To me that is a good sign of things to come.
    we probably wont see this phone till Q3.
    Question still remains for the remaining Android OSs'.
    When?
    lol
  17. StupidGenius

StupidGenius New Member

18. brock

brock New Member

am i the only one who is starting to think that htc devices are starting to get old?

they all look the same.
  19. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

Not at all.

They are a lot like RIM. They push out hundreds of the same handsets and slap a name on it.

Not to mention their hardware is much to be desired. On paper their devices look impressive but they spend all but 5 minutes on QC. Not a fan at all.

I will never buy an Android device that they push out. Apologies if I come across so harsh but RIM and HTC rub me the wrong way.
  20. JonKyu

JonKyu Beta Team

I was just about to post the same thing!! I dunno at first I really wanted the whole HTC Sense UI stuff, and now I'm kinda like....mehh. I dunno what happened HTC Sense UI just seems so boring now lol. And def agree with CK they made sooooo many devices and the naming is getting kinda retarded. Dragon/Passion/Incredible/Bravo/Legend I mean really? The only name I like is Nexus 1, which was probably chosen by google and it actually means/stands for something...ohwell to each his own, I'm actually not so stoked about the legend either and that's suppose to be the "beautiful" one.

PS @CK: According to google they spent a lot of time testing the Nexus One did you see that youtube video in that google series about the Nexus 1

PS2: I'm super annoyed that they're giving out so many free Nexus 1's away :\
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
Search tags for this page

flash player htc passion 2.1