HTC Annoyances/Nuances?

2001400ex

Reaction score
I have the OG Droid and it is starting to crap out finally, out of warranty. What I am deciding on is the Thuderbolt or Bionic like about everyone else on here. I have read quite a few threads and gotten a ton of info. But... I have not really gotten a feel for little nuances of the HTC compared to Motorola. Here are a few of the questions:

What annoyances are common with HTC compared to Motorola?

Which companies phone typically last longer/withstand a little abuse (not real abuse, just the occasional drop or something)?

Do they use the same power cords?

Does HTC integrate with Exchange e-mail like Motorola Droid?

I have read HTC gets Android updates quicker, but don't really recall that as fact with Verizon. Which is correct?

Please respond with actual experience with both companies, not perceptions. :)

OP

2001400ex

Reaction score
No one has any thoughts? Must all be burned out from the other TB/Bionic discussion. LOL

But I forgot one question, I frequently go to places with low cell service. Does HTC or Motorola do better in that scenario? The Droid actually does better than average from what I have found.

grgguy

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat and from what I've read it boils down to 2 things , If you want to root then go with HTC if not and you have a weak signal then go with Motorola . I am going to give the Thunderbolt a try .

Detonation

Reaction score
Here are some of my thoughts. Owned both an Inc and a X.

-HTC has a far better custom android OS. Sense is a compliment to the phone where as Motoblur feels like bloatware. I had more crashes and battery pulls with my X by the first two weeks I had it compared to the 3 months I had an Inc. Overall HTC wins the software battle.
-On the flip side, I've felt Moto has better hardware. The Inc was plastic and cheap feeling whereas the droids are metal. However this may be a non issue now since it sounds like the TB will also metal.
-HTC's are known to have worse battery life, especially because their stock batteries are underpowered compared to Motos. (The TB stock is 1400mah while the X is 1540mah). However this could become a non issue with improvements from HTC.
-Moto has much better accessory support. Moto phones have the magnet sensor for car and desk dock modes. The Inc didn't have this feature, and doesn't even have an official desktop dock (and the car dock took forever to come out).
-I have no experience with this, but apparently HTC's are much better for rooting/romming.

Overall I'd take an HTC over a Moto. Having a smooth, bug/lag free phone is more important than accessories. I can always buy an extended battery and third party accessories, but its a lot harder to "fix" the software on a Moto, especially with how they are locking down their phones.

Last edited:
OP

2001400ex

Reaction score
Here are some of my thoughts. Owned both an Inc and a X.

-HTC has a far better custom android OS. Sense is a compliment to the phone where as Motoblur feels like bloatware. I had more crashes and battery pulls with my X by the first two weeks I had it compared to the 3 months I had an Inc. Overall HTC wins the software battle.
-On the flip side, I've felt Moto has better hardware. The Inc was plastic and cheap feeling whereas the droids are metal. However this may be a non issue now since it sounds like the TB will also metal.
-HTC's are known to have worse battery life, especially because their stock batteries are underpowered compared to Motos. (The TB stock is 1400mah while the X is 1540mah). However this could become a non issue with improvements from HTC.
-Moto has much better accessory support. Moto phones have the magnet sensor for car and desk dock modes. The Inc didn't have this feature, and doesn't even have an official desktop dock (and the car dock took forever to come out).
-I have no experience with this, but apparently HTC's are much better for rooting/romming.

Overall I'd take an HTC over a Moto. Having a smooth, bug/lag free phone is more important than accessories. I can always buy an extended battery and third party accessories, but its a lot harder to "fix" the software on a Moto, especially with how they are locking down their phones.

Thanks for the information! Yeah, I did some light rooting with my OG Droid, nothing major, more for setcpu and wireless tether.

I am still debating. I like being able to easily root phones and hopefully the Thunderbolt holds up better, every Inc I have seen is beaten up. LOL

I did talk VZW into replacing my OG Droid for free since I am a $250 a month customer and 10 years without changing providers. But I still want a different phone now. LOL

Anyone else?

grnidkjun

Reaction score
I'm curious to see the responses to this topic as well.
I'm looking to make the jump to Android with whatever my next phone will be.
Obviously there won't be any real comparisons until Bionic hits the streets.

Maybe we'll start seeing some real use updates on Thunderbolt soon.

In addition to being curious about the dual processor and of course larger battery on Bionic, Something that draws my attention is I've read it will have the stronger Gorilla Glass. But also the promos are stating it will have the option of having different displays.. some set specifically for work and others for down time.

My current phone is a winmo 6.5.. yes.. winmo.
It does everything I need.. except it seems to lock up quite a bit.

I'm able to sync my calendar and contacts with outlook.
Though I have started already using a google account to sync my work calendar to my local pc. It just doesn't sync contacts.

My winmo, I have Walking Hotspot loaded which is an awesome utility.
It allows me to use my data plan for up to 5 devices and it works, with no add on fees.
Is there such an app for droid? I know I've seen one that allows one device with wifi tethering.. but not one for droid that does 5.

So really those are my biggest concerns... syncing for work, web browsing and look up, I'm not into games, avoiding lock ups, decent software for backing up and cleaning up the phone, getting around the mobile hotspot fees, larger sharpest resolution, and the stronger screen really does intrigue me. Oh yes, and swype.. I absolutely love this.. but it seems to be pretty standard on most droids now.

I understand that if I don't like Motoblur, I can disable this and install another GUI on top of it.. which I've already done on my current phone.

Last edited:
OP

2001400ex

Reaction score
I'm curious to see the responses to this topic as well.
I'm looking to make the jump to Android with whatever my next phone will be.
Obviously there won't be any real comparisons until Bionic hits the streets.

Maybe we'll start seeing some real use updates on Thunderbolt soon.

In addition to being curious about the dual processor and of course larger battery on Bionic, Something that draws my attention is I've read it will have the stronger Gorilla Glass. But also the promos are stating it will have the option of having different displays.. some set specifically for work and others for down time.

My current phone is a winmo 6.5.. yes.. winmo.
It does everything I need.. except it seems to lock up quite a bit.

I'm able to sync my calendar and contacts with outlook.
Though I have started already using a google account to sync my work calendar to my local pc. It just doesn't sync contacts.

My winmo, I have Walking Hotspot loaded which is an awesome utility.
It allows me to use my data plan for up to 5 devices and it works, with no add on fees.
Is there such an app for droid? I know I've seen one that allows one device with wifi tethering.. but not one for droid that does 5.

So really those are my biggest concerns... syncing for work, web browsing and look up, I'm not into games, avoiding lock ups, decent software for backing up and cleaning up the phone, getting around the mobile hotspot fees, larger sharpest resolution, and the stronger screen really does intrigue me. Oh yes, and swype.. I absolutely love this.. but it seems to be pretty standard on most droids now.

I understand that if I don't like Motoblur, I can disable this and install another GUI on top of it.. which I've already done on my current phone.

You can get wireless tether if you root your phone without add on fees, at least on the original droid. Not sure on the phones with the feature already included. If you don't know what root is, grab a beer and read through the hacks section.

For synching, that was one of my questions. The Droid did not synch well with Exchange until an update, then it still had problems where you could not access the corporate contacts without a separate program. Now everything is well integrated, at least with the Droid. I am curious how HTC has done synching with exchange, or is it an Android thing that it now synchs better.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you want battery life, at least for now HTC isn't for you. AFAIK the Galaxy S phones with hummingbird processor have the best battery life. HTC does give you Sense UI which is easily the best custom skin on android (I'd rather have Sense than stock, MIUI a close second)

OP

2001400ex

Reaction score
If you want battery life, at least for now HTC isn't for you. AFAIK the Galaxy S phones with hummingbird processor have the best battery life. HTC does give you Sense UI which is easily the best custom skin on android (I'd rather have Sense than stock, MIUI a close second)

I use Laucher pro, so not that concerned about Sense vs. Blur. And yeah I have read a ton of stuff about battery life for Thunderbolt vs. Bionic and everyone I know with a Inc has had issues with battery life. But there is also a rumor there is issues with the Tegra and battery life Moto is trying to work out. Siedo does have an extended slim batter for TB already, so I personally am not that concerned. We will see when the phones come out.

mjforte

Reaction score
Yeah I sometimes wonder why people are such diehard fans for HTC. I mean I understand they are easily rooted/ROMed and Sense is easily the best skin over Android, but battery life in my opinion, is one of the most important aspects to take into consideration when purchasing a phone. I have heard people say the Incredible and Evo both have poor battery life. I can't really say much about HTC as I've only had a Motorola Droid, but I'm most likely getting the Thunderbolt. I really hope battery life won't be too much of an issue.