HTC and Verizon

cp24eva

Reaction score
Anyone under the impression that as far as HTC goes, Verizon is overlooking them or HTC is overlooking Verizon? Just got an e-mail yesterday that advertised the new HTC One that is coming out. Nice specs and all. I know the rezound isn't even like 6 months old (or is it?) but On the official HTC site there is no word of that new Verizon phone. Seems like HTC is more of an ATT buddy. I like their phones. Too bad we don't have any of that 4,7 screen goodness over here. Some people think it's too big of a screen. I say well at least give us the option. At this point it's HTC or bust for me. lol. And dig this, the advertised HTC one will ship with ICS. Don't know when exactly it is shipping, but that phone could very well get ICS before us Rezound owners.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons that I can think of of why some phone manufactures stay away from LTE networks such as Verizon, is that the physical size of the LTE radio is slightly larger than GSM/HSPA radios, therefore possibly hindering product design and possibly hindering the manufactures from reaching a desired design.

Granted the RAZR is 4G and is super thin, then again that's Motorola...

And yes, that new HTC One phone will probably ship before we get ICS on the Rezound...

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
The thought that the HTC One would probably get ICS before the Rezound kind of annoys me. If Verizon wasn't as reliable as well as this wonder Rezound, I'd probably be over at ATT. That way I could get some better attention with an HTC phone over there loo. But on the flip side, maybe they aren't giving the Rezound much love because it doesn't need it as much as others lol. I mean, I literally haven't have many issue before or after the OTA. I'm just bankin on ICS do get of some minor improvement and a little better functionality.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought it was just that HTC was pulling back on product releases as well as having a worse than expected year. Honestly just the pitiful sales and high return rate of the Rezound should have been enough to sour Verizon from selling more HTC devices. I mean in just slightly more than 3 months the Rezound has dropped $200. That says a lot especially on Verizon.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The reason that newer phones get ICS before current phones is because they have already been working on that phone with ICS as the intended OS, which allows them to develop the device drivers for that phone at the same time (relatively speaking) therefore speeding up the dev process for ICS on a device.

Where as for us on GB phones, HTC not only has to develop ICS for us, they also have to re-write the device drivers all over again, which can prolong the process it takes the phone makers to push OS updates to their current models.

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
Yeah, the price did drop pretty quick. The LG dropped even quicker. Too bad. Big Red show too much favoritism. Part to blame is HTC themselves. Samsung does alot of their own advertising through the web and TV. Motorola ads always had Verizon stamps all over it. The few Rezound commercials out there didn't get the rotation, plus it seems like slim is in and that is most def not HTC lol.

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
The reason that newer phones get ICS before current phones is because they have already been working on that phone with ICS as the intended OS, which allows them to develop the device drivers for that phone at the same time (relatively speaking) therefore speeding up the dev process for ICS on a device.

Where as for us on GB phones, HTC not only has to develop ICS for us, they also have to re-write the device drivers all over again, which can prolong the process it takes the phone makers to push OS updates to their current models.

Could also be a scheme to get people to ditch their old phones and blow an upgrade on their new HTC phones.

RezoundHound

Reaction score
Thus is the nature of cell phones. Something newer, and arguably better, is ALWAYS just around the corner. I say arguably because there are some features on the Rezound that I still prefer over the One X. Just buy the best phone "for you" at the time and be happy with it until your contract expires. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to keep up with the latest technology.

HTC One X Cons compared to Rezound:

Lower pixel density, 312 ppi compared to 342
Lower resolution front facing camera, 1.3 Mp compared to 2.0
Non expandable storage
Non removable/replaceable battery
Omission of capacitive "Search" button
Single LED flash, compared to dual LED

RH

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
Thus is the nature of cell phones. Something newer, and arguably better, is ALWAYS just around the corner. I say arguably because there are some features on the Rezound that I still prefer over the One X. Just buy the best phone "for you" at the time and be happy with it until your contract expires. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to keep up with the latest technology.

HTC One X Cons compared to Rezound:

Lower pixel density, 312 ppi compared to 342
Lower resolution front facing camera, 1.3 Mp compared to 2.0
Non expandable storage
Non removable/replaceable battery
Omission of capacitive "Search" button
Single LED flash, compared to dual LED

RH

Oh, I know trying to keep up is a complete hassle, but that's not my point. My point is that Verizon doesn't favor HTC like it does Sammy and Moto.
But thats another thing that bothers me....companies making phone with different specs on different carriers. Why couldn't they have a phone, but simply just a carrier specific variant? Same specs, but the technology built in order to operate on the different carriers. Maybe my way of thinkin is too linear and I don't see the big picture lol. That's why i don't work for the OEMs.

RezoundHound

Reaction score
Why couldn't they have a phone, but simply just a carrier specific variant? Same specs, but the technology built in order to operate on the different carriers.

:i-m_so_happy: I agree with you 100%!!!!!

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
I think with this One series they were aiming for that...kind of. But it seems like more of a tier system rather than a carrier specified system. Aren't 2 of the 3 One series for T-mobile and one for ATT?

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
HTC is somewhat like buddies with AT&T, Samsung seems like it too! There's a little change for Verizon to receive the Samsung Galaxy SIII, but if not, I hope we get the HTC One X

Motorola Droid 2: CyanogenMod 9

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
HTC is somewhat like buddies with AT&T, Samsung seems like it too! There's a little change for Verizon to receive the Samsung Galaxy SIII, but if not, I hope we get the HTC One X

Motorola Droid 2: CyanogenMod 9

I think Samsung is friends with everyone at this point. I mean they have some of the best selling phones on 3 of the 4 major carriers. Sometimes I wonder where my smartphone buying priorities are. Carrier reliability, maker, then phone reliability, and specs....i think. I've only been on Verison since October I think. I see that Verizon doesn't favor the same phone that I do. Only reason I came over was because ATT had a downed tower for a month but didn't want to lend me a microcel. lol. Verizon needs a better spread of variety in my opinion Other than that i'd say verizon is tops. But they do have some of the best top tier phones. Not everyone is willing to pay these prices though.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon favors Motorola. It seems like they have some kind of business arrangement where Motorola will try to fulfill all of Verizons requests in return for free advertising from Verizon. Also I can tell you Verizon probably doesn't like the fact that you can unlock an HTC phone via the HTCdev website.

It is also more difficult to adapt a phone that is gsm for the rest of the world to cdma/LTE for a smaller American market. There seems to be more hurdles to jump for a phone to be released on Verizon rather than on At&t.

Att though has been favoring Samsung lately, with at least 4 different phones being released since fall (and more to come). They have only had one HTC device released since then.

The One model HTC phones look great, but the Rezound has lasting power. It's a great phone and it will take some really reallt awesome specs and a more optimized version of the Android OS to beat it. The real world difference between processors, ram, screen, build on these new devices will not be very noticeable IMO.

Last edited:
OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
Ah yes, this is true about the CDMA/GSM quandry. But with the technology already discovered on previous phones, you'd think that it would be easy just to modify the radio and then adapt it to the carrier specific phone. Not to give props to Apple, but they have phones on most of the major carriers if not all of them (I don't keep up with the Apple phones anymore so I don't know). I'm sure something could be done, but like I said, I'm not the working for an OEM so I could be the dumb guy on this matter lol.