HTC accessories: rip off?!

Foreverlad

Reaction score
The major corporations (HTC, Verizon, etc) don't make much money off the physical smartphone sales. It's all in the software, contracts and accessories.

You either pay through the nose getting branded versions of the accessories, or you take your chances on 3rd party stuff.

Me, personally? I'd rather suffer through 10 poor 3rd party purchases than acquiesce to any of the big brand gougers.

jr313

Reaction score
Yeah they may be pricey but as in anything you ever buy in life...You get what you pay for plain and simple

Foreverlad

Reaction score
Yeah they may be pricey but as in anything you ever buy in life...You get what you pay for plain and simple

I have to disagree. While there are times where cost = quality, this isn't necessarily one of those occasions.

Consider something like monster cable. Have you read the stories about customers paying 30-300 bucks for something that can be purchased (minus the branding) for 5 -50 bucks? The markup on this stuff varies from 80%-1000%.

Here's a screenshot of what I purchased today: (Ignore the yellow highlighting, I was in Gmail, searching the keyword of the company)

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3213/monopricemail.png

I read the reviews and not one of the items purchased had less than a 4-star review.

Like I said, there are certainly times when you get what you pay for. The mistake most people make is in overvaluing a minor piece of equipment.

jr313

Reaction score
Ok i hear you but on the other hand i purchased a $10 car charger 3 weeks ago and i take care of everything i own and i just had to buy a totally new one this time i paid $20 for it from verizon we'll see how long this one lasts...

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

Foreverlad

Reaction score
Ok i hear you but on the other hand i purchased a $10 car charger 3 weeks ago and i take care of everything i own and i just had to buy a totally new one this time i paid $20 for it from verizon we'll see how long this one lasts...

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

And it's a real shame it comes to that. Android's greatest asset is also the customer's greatest problem: customization.

There's so much branding and alternating features between all the major hardware developers, it's difficult for all the 3rd party companies to produce the wide variety of accessories for Android like they do for the iPhone.

With a hundred standards to adjust to, how many companies are going to invest in cables, docks, mounts and stereo setups?

It makes it difficult to find reliable sources for reviews and quality control with numbers to back them up.