HQ Video Recording and Youtube HD Default Question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by hellabooya, Feb 15, 2010.

1. hellabooya

hellabooya New Member

I have been having problems with using abd commands on my computer, and I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong for the life of me. Any command I give towards my droid always results in, "device not found." Thus my question is, can I get the HQ video recording and default HD youtube hacks without using adb? I like using Terminal Emulator if there is a way to do it using that.
  2. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

3. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Hell,

I agree with KZ that you need to get adb working. The video hack where you replace your build.prop is a very SERIOUS hack. On the surface it looks simple, but if you screw up the file, or have issues replacing, you will potentially be left with a phone that will not fully boot. Make sure you have sprecovery nailed, and a good nandroid in place.

This is a system file, and while you might get by with terminal, it is handy to have adb working when messing with system files. And one last problem folks have had when messing with this file is not keeping a clean unaltered version on your pc or sdcard, somewhere. As a safebackup, I like to keep the clean version of the file on sd card root, and use a subdirectory to push,copy/move the altered files files. Like /sdcard/videohack/build.prop. You have to type the full path when executing your commands, but having the virgin copy on sdcard would make an adb rescue a little easier. Not as easy as nandroid, but nice to have backup plans for the backup plans:)

Craig
  4. hellabooya

hellabooya New Member

I have followed that guide and gotten to adb to work, ie. I can type adb and the list of commands will show up, but I have problems whenever I have to use adb to communicate with my droid. Many guides have adb prompts such as, "adb shell..." those are the commands that are not working for me. I have installed busybox, metamorph, droidroothelper, and as well make plenty of nandroid backups, I'm OCD about not wanting to do more than a couple steps over again when messing around with my themes.

Is there some part of adb that I missed where I get it to recognize my phone? I say this because all of the prompts I give adb to do anything to my phone always comes back as, "error: device not found."

I have Vista, and the SDK folder on my desktop, so all i do is open up the sdk folder->tools then in the explorer window i type cmd to get the command prompt pointed at the tools folder. I'm pretty sure I am doing that right but maybe I am mistaken.

edit: I also allow usb debugging
  5. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

'adb shell' simply launches the terminal... it's a one-time command, after which (if everything is correct) you will be prompted with a "#" from where you type/execute the remaining commands.

If your device is connected (and in USB Debugging mode) the command "adb devices" will give you a list of connected devices, if your device is connected (and again, in debugging mode) it will return a 'list of devices". Note: you have to be in the SDK tools sub-folder.
  6. hellabooya

hellabooya New Member

I type adb devices and then it says, list of devices attached, then nothing. Obviously I have done something wrong along the way, not sure what though.
  7. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

When you installed sdk, did you get the usb drivers at that time? Also, make sure that while usb debugging is enabled, you do not mount the sdcard. My money is on the usb drivers not being installed. I am an xp users, perhaps other who use Vista can shed some light on usb issues.

Craig
  8. hellabooya

hellabooya New Member

OK, I was able to figure out how to set up the HQ Default YouTube without using adb and just Terminal Emulator, so I'm stoked on that. Now If only I was able to use Terminal Emulator to do the HD Video Recording hack I would be in business :)

Craig I will try what you have suggested, I thought I downloaded everything, but I may not have.

And yes I ALWAYS back up before I do anything on my droid, because no one wants a 200$ paperweight
  9. hellabooya

hellabooya New Member

I love you Craig :) Thank you for the driver advice, not sure if I was supposed to know to do that or I just skipped that part in some guide, but whatever, thank you Craig.

I was able to do most of the steps for the HQ Video Recording, I wasn't able to perform the, "busybox cp -R build.prop /system" command. Since I was that far I just opened up Root Explorer and manually put the new build.prop file in the system folder since the old build.prop file had been renamed build.prop.bak. This seemed to work and I am now very excited :)
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  10. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Glad the simple solution was the right one. In past times I have had problems copying certain files with root explorer or terminal. At the time Better Terminal was suggested, although it is a 5 dollar app. There seem to be times when certain techniques will not work with certain attempts to modify, so it really is best to have multiple ways to skin the old cat. And then there is the old chmod trick, that will sometimes save the day:)

Craig