HQ movies for the Droid?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by EA.Droyd, May 8, 2010.

1. EA.Droyd

EA.Droyd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone have any ideas for getting movies on the Droid? I tried DVD Catalyst with no luck what so ever. Anyway, I've changed over to Blu-ray and most of my DVDs are old, so, I'm trying to find newer movies for the moto-droid.

2. Bxrider117

Bxrider117 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I get most of my newer movies from here. Just download to desktop and transfer to sd card.
    [removed link to copyright movie site]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2010
  3. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What problems are you having? DVD Catalyst works great for me.

4. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    First, please dont post links to warez sites. If you own the movie, we can talk, but I highly doubt you own a physical copy of Iron Man 2....

Second, ripping BD is a challenge I wont go into. And the maximum resolution of the phone negates any advantages an HD movie might have.

Finally, try Handbrake for ripping from DVDs you own.

5. idulfingz

idulfingz Member

different every week, you would have to ask
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use iskysoft converter, it converts to just about any format you want and it does a very good job, I have watched quite a few movies on my droid that way

6. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4
    In order to rip Blurays that you own, you'd need AnyDVD-HD...then remux the movie m2ts with TSMuxer into a m2ts file that has only the desired audio stream, ...and then to convert the movie m2ts file to an H.264 encoded MP4 using...HandBrake, I'd also give my resounding thumbs up for Handbrake.... just don't output too high of a resolution.... the Droid cannot play the HD video at the full 1920 x 1080, 524 x 340 or so would be superb on the Droids screen ...IMHO

7. EA.Droyd

EA.Droyd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    What a pain in the A**! It just seems like it's a pain that other platforms don't share, to have all these "workarounds" to have a movie play on a phone is ridiculous, maybe the whole idea is. Why can't one just order and pay for the properly formatted movie for their device and watch it?

8. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It's the same movie formats that all Apple products use. I'm not sure where the workaround is....

9. EA.Droyd

EA.Droyd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Handbrake looks to be for Mac only, maybe I'm wrong, but thats what I gather from their site. It seems to be expensive to rip a DVD that you have to have on hand. See, I've changed over to Blu-rays and most of the ones have digital copies with them and I think it would be nice to convert those to use in the Droid.

10. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Handbrake is open source and available for Windows, Linux, and Mac.... http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

You're SOL on the digital copies...

11. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4
    What platforms plays DVDs and Blurays on mobile phones??... Windows Mobile??... Apple iPhone>??
    You say that you want to be able to play your Blurays on your Droid, I gave the option... simple if you understand what you're doing... I make back-ups of all my Blurays so that I keep my originals from potential damage, I also make DVD copies of those Blurays so that my kids can watch them on their DVD players in their rooms, and I also make MP4s out of those Blurays if I'd like to watch them on my Droid, or my Moto Q9c before.... I have no Blurays yet that came with the digital copies, what format are those?...MP4s?

12. EA.Droyd

EA.Droyd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I was indeed able to get DVD catalyst to work for me, at least the trial version. It looks great on the Droid. I don't know what format the digital copies are but I read they were for computer use and could be played on mobile devices like the Iphone, not sure, i've not tried one yet.

See, I was under the impression that most people were simply downloading whatever movies they wanted from a pay service like the Itunes store and not have to use a movie that they already own or rent, borrow and then do some sort of time consuming conversion process to play them on their Droid, so, that's what I meant by a pain in the A**.
    So, I'm sorry for my ignorance. Again, I thought a downloaded pay version of the movie could be had from something like Itunes store, Netflix or one of many other sites out there.

13. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1

No, part of their DRM is that they (Apple, Netflix) can control where the movies go once you've paid for them.

14. EA.Droyd

EA.Droyd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So, is Handbrake free? Can I run out to the local Best buy and buy a copy? I know that DVD Catalyst is 10.00 and seems like a good deal. It just seems to take a really long time to convert them. I converted Matrix and it took about four hours and with it being a trial version, only about twenty minutes or so was actualy playable. So, I cant imagine what a full length movie would take. It could be my Laptop though.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  15. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1

I gave you a link to Handbrake.... And it's open source software....

It could take 4 hours to convert a DVD, if your computer sucks. My PC takes about an hour to do a 2 hour mobie, and it's banging on all four processors.