HP Planning to 'aggressively attack' Smartphone & Tablet Market with Android Devices

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Sep 28, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

We have some pretty solid industry intel that HP is going to jump back into the tablet market big time. In fact, they are also planning to "aggressively attack" the smartphone market as well, and they plan to use the Android OS to do it. Here's a quote with some of the details,

This seems like a brilliant move by HP. For one, almost all technology us evolving toward the mobile world. Two, Android pretty much owns the mobile landscape. This makes it a no-brainer move by HP, and we are looking forward to seeing what they can come up with. Would you consider owning an HP phone or tablet?

Source: PhoneArena
  2. patmw123

patmw123 New Member

I'm excited to see what they come out with.
  3. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

HP... no...

They've tried (like Dell) a bunch of times to get into the smartphone arena. Each attempt completely failed. They had a really good chance with WebOS but just killed it off.
  4. BigZig

BigZig New Member

I would think about owning a HP smartphone or tablet. I own a Dv6 laptop and i have had zero problems with it, it is designed well and has good aesthetics. The only thing i will not be doing is jumping on the first product released. It seems now adays that OEM's are using comsumers as beta testers for their products and there are always issues out of the box. I personally will wait for those unforseen issues to be worked out before trying an HP mobile product but they do build quality products and wil give them a look for sure.
  5. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen New Member

I own a dv6t, its awesome. My laptop is an HP, my wireless keyboard and mouse is HP, my printer is HP, my laptop sleeve is HP. lol, i like HP. The fact that they would comeout with an android phone sounds pretty good. I would love that. I would not like a WebOS devise, only an Android one. Thats really not to knock on WebOS but i have so many purchased apps with android, im kinda invested into it now :happy3:. Im not going to do the same with another OS. I love android too much for that as well. An Android HP phone would be amazing. Just make it so its a very competitive device and i would buy it. It would match everything. :biggrin:
  6. SpeJ3435

SpeJ3435 Member

Not for me

I loved my Palm Pre Plus, which is what I had before my Droid Bionic, but I have not had any luck with any HP product I have ever bought. WebOs was a great OS, but the hardware was crap (I understand it wasn't HP). I feel if WebOs had Motorola hardware or something along those lines of quality, it would have survived. I wouldn't buy an HP android phone.
  7. npro1464

npro1464 Member

They should revive WebOS. Its a shame they gave up on it so quickly.
  8. drew96dawg

drew96dawg New Member

I will never own another hp anything. My $800 laptop that i've had for a year and a half has been nothing but trouble. The fans have quit working and the hard drive has died.

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
  9. Caesars

Caesars Well-Known Member

Good, I'll be able to buy more hp tablets for 80% off ;)

Return of the Android
    2 people like this.
  10. RyanPm40

RyanPm40 Member

Not the biggest fan of HP. Everyone says they make such great computers, but I bought a $950 HP Pavilion laptop a few years back and it was the biggest piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune of having. I'm gonna stick with macbook pros from now on (Nothing wrong with me enjoying Apple AND Android products! :D )
  11. npro1464

npro1464 Member

The more the merrier!!

Still wish HP would keep putting out WebOS devices. Maybe they could incorporate WebOS elements into their version/skin of Android.
    1 person likes this.
  12. milski65

milski65 Member

Amen brother. My first thought when I saw this thread.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  13. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

hp only makes good printers, everything else is bargain bin garbage.
  14. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

I had that same thought. Maybe create a WebOS Launcher for Android, that would be great...having the best of both worlds.

However, I would be weary, given HP's prior history in the mobile arena.
  15. SpeJ3435

SpeJ3435 Member

If I remember correctly, Google bought quite a few patents related to WebOs. After playing around on ICS and JB I have seen some similarities pop up between Android and WebOs, but I don't know if that is just coincidence. The new "Recent Applications" menu of ICS and JB are similar to the cards view in WebOs. In previous versions of Android, "multitasking" was just being able to open the apps that you were using prior to your current one, where as now you can open close to the exact page you were using (similar to WebOs on opening what you were doing earlier). On GB they had a WebOs launcher, but it never worked very well and didn't get a lot of support.

"Wave Launcher" in the market, which is like WebOs https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sImNvbS5tb2JpbGVtZXJpdC53YXZlbGF1bmNoZXIiXQ..

Cards View is called "Itching Thumb": webOS like multitasking on ANDROID - Page 17 - xda-developers

I still enjoy playing around on my Pre+ and love the true multitasking capabilities it offers.

There might be newer stuff out now, but I haven't really looked in a while.
  16. LocoRon

LocoRon New Member

A $99 7" tablet would be fantastic. All I really want it for is reading some ebooks, so the hardware doesn't have to be that fantastic. Just so long as it's not stuttering out of the box, or likely to die in a year...

Of course, at $99, this would be pretty much the electronic world's disposable device... even though my wallet doesn't like that idea.

Ultimately, though... "we'll see." :)
  17. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

They make good servers too.
Search tags for this page

hp android phone dgstorm