[HowTo] Wifi Mount your DROID - Discussion

ke0kie

Reaction score
I live in NYC, it is possible that for the subnet(s) VzW assigns smartphone users, that they do indeed employ a proxy to prevent this type of traffic.

Its also worth mentioning that I cannot ping the VzW assigned IP (apparently, they filter ICMP-Reply on their edge).

In my apartment, WiFi + FTPServer works fine.

I do find it odd that after I x-fer some files onto the SD-Card, it has required a Droid reboot before the media player will acknowledge the files are there. What is strange is, I confirmed the files are there by using a terminal emulator and confirming the files are in the directories, right after the x-fer.

--Scott

ThermalGuy

Reaction score
WiFi xfer

There seems to be some confusion here. I see comments about pinging vzn etc. I don't think we are trying to access the vzn system, just create a P to P network of sorts between your Droid and YOUR own wifi access point and personal computer. Essentially, adding your Droid to your network and enabling sharing.
This turned ot to be very cumberson and complex in the long run.

Ultimately, I added Bluetooth File Transfer from the market and that allowed me to do two way transfers with no problem.:icon_ banana: THAT was soo easy it was laughable. No screwing around with IP addresses, passwords and crap.
Yea! no more 24 inch cable! Except for charging. Still waiting for the wireless charging thingy. :)

ke0kie

Reaction score
IP's are involved for creating an FTP solution.

I wasn't aware of a blue-tooth file transfer solution, that may be a good idea and will check that out!

I was 'hoping' to do some sharing between my office workstation and the droid w/o the cable, the trouble there is I can't establish and FTP session between my workstation and the assigned 3g assigned IP from VzW.

So, for the office, the cable or blue tooth would seem a lot easier :)

--Scott

ThermalGuy

Reaction score
IP's are involved for creating an FTP solution.

I wasn't aware of a blue-tooth file transfer solution, that may be a good idea and will check that out!

I was 'hoping' to do some sharing between my office workstation and the droid w/o the cable, the trouble there is I can't establish and FTP session between my workstation and the assigned 3g assigned IP from VzW.

So, for the office, the cable or blue tooth would seem a lot easier :)

--Scott

When I first started to try BT as a solution, it only worked ONE way, I could transfer TO the droid but not the other way. Annoying. ANOTHER nerffed BT issue from the friendly folks at Goog/VZN (no voice command from the BT headsets for truely hands free driving as required here) Then someone here suggested the Bluetooth File transfer app to fix the missing components of the stack. Works sweet and it's free. FTW! :icon_ banana:..........................................

ezekiel2000

Reaction score
I do find it odd that after I x-fer some files onto the SD-Card, it has required a Droid reboot before the media player will acknowledge the files are there. What is strange is, I confirmed the files are there by using a terminal emulator and confirming the files are in the directories, right after the x-fer.

Scott, you need the "SDMount Widget" from the marketplace. It'll allow you to refresh with just the press of a button instead of actually rebooting.
QR Code here:
chart

There seems to be some confusion here. I see comments about pinging vzn etc. I don't think we are trying to access the vzn system, just create a P to P network of sorts between your Droid and YOUR own wifi access point and personal computer.

No, there are two ways to wirelessly mount the droid that were discussed, wifi and 3G. Many like myself can use the wifi just fine, but not 3G. I only wanted to get 3G working in case I'm in a location where I didn't have access to wifi. Ok, honestly I just wanted to get 3G transfers working for the hell of it...I'd probably never use it anyway, just like to know how to do these things :)

ke0kie

Reaction score
Will check that SD mount widget, thanks for the tip!

My 3G FTP transfer reasoning is the same as yours, to do it anywhere 3G is available. There are deffinatley work-arounds so no big when I happen to be leasing an IP that won't work. It seems like various Droid users have gotten it to work, based on where they are on 3G.

--Scott

bgrubb7

Reaction score
Fantastic! Working great with Mac OS using Cyberduck to connect to the Droid's FTP server. I have yet to get ES File Explorer to connect properly with Mac OS, so this FTP server is a much needed option for me. USB transfer is just way too slow for transferring movies or large amounts of music.

Now if there were a way to set different static IPs for different WiFi connections... My Home network uses a 192.168.1.X Gateway, while work uses 192.168.0.X. Not a huge deal, as I can just check MyIP, but it would be nice to be able to use shortcuts to static IPs on my FTP clients in both locations.

bgrubb7

Reaction score
I am on a Mac, so I opted to go the route of clicking on Go / Connect To Server from the Finder menu. I then typed in 192.168.10.xx:2002 connected with the username and password and told it to remember it in my keychain, and now I have it without an FTP client.

This way I am able to use the built in options in the finder, such as quick look, coverflow view etc.

Really great find RinTin.. Appreciate it!

I totally missed this post earlier. Yes, Cyberduck works great, but this is a much easier method for the Mac.
:icon_ banana:

Psychokitty

Reaction score
-Is there an alternative to netdrive? For some reason the GUI is all screwed up on my laptop. I've tried changing the font I'm using, etc, all to no avail. The important entry info on the right hand side is being cut off, and )of course) the GUI doesn't allow for expanding the window. :(

ke0kie

Reaction score
I have leased various IP's over 3G from VzW in NYC, and so far none have worked w/ FTP Server. WiFi works great. Accept 3G is checked on the FTPServer.

I can't imagine anything else to try for a FTPServer + 3G solution.

ke0kie

Reaction score
I have leased various IP's over 3G from VzW in NYC, and so far none have worked w/ FTP Server. WiFi works great. Accept 3G is checked on the FTPServer.

I can't imagine anything else to try for a FTPServer + 3G solution.

Might be possible that provider blocks FTP data

This is what I suspect as well, at least in the NYC metro area. If I were in VzW position, I probably would too for this market.

guzzyron

Reaction score
Login Problems

New to the Droid. I followed the How To instructions carefully but when I launched Netdrive, entered the information and tried to connect I get an error message. I've tried this several times but I keep getting:

"Server authentication failed. Please check the credentials supplied. Login denied."

What am I doing wrong?

ke0kie

Reaction score
New to the Droid. I followed the How To instructions carefully but when I launched Netdrive, entered the information and tried to connect I get an error message. I've tried this several times but I keep getting:

"Server authentication failed. Please check the credentials supplied. Login denied."

What am I doing wrong?

You must configure a user, password, and port on FTPServer. Netdrive must be confgured for the IP your Droid has (whether wifi or 3g, get this info with the app MyIP), and matching port, user, and password.

FWIW, i've had zero luck mounting on 3g in NYC, so far

There was a suggestion to assign the droid a static IP on your home wireless network, which is wise. I suppose you would do this based on the MAC address of your droid.