HowTo: Root the Motorola Droid easily

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Rider003, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Rider003

Rider003 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is basically a how to guide. I'm not a genious i just did alot of searching. Followed the steps and it worked. This guide may look confusing but believe me its as straightforward as it gets.
    ( FOR VERIZON USERS ONLY)

I didn't think of this myself i just condensed.
    Sources:
    - How To: Root the Motorola Droid (Android 2.0.1 & 2.1) | TheUnlockr

- If you get "Failed Flashing process. (0x7100)" in RSD Lite - Page 2 - Android Forums

If you wanna thank anyone, thank these guys.
    Step 1
    Download:
    - RSD Lite MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    - 2.01.sbf file MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    *Save the .sbf file to your C drive*
    Motorola Drivers:
    - 32 bit computer MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    - 64 bit computer MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    ( Click Start>right click: Computer) to find out which suits you best.

Step 2
    -Install RSD lite by double clicking the file you just downloaded
    -Double click Motorola Consumer Driver Installer and install the driver (32 bit or 64)

Step 3
    - Plug your phone in with your USB cable ( dont mount the sd card)
    - shut the phone off while it is plugged in
    - Now turn back on (still plugged in) holding the power button and UP on the dpad

- Now open RSD lite as administrator.
    this is where many run into problems. You can't open as administrator from a shortcut so go to the actual file location. I belive it defaults to your C drive under the Program Files folder.
    - Right click RSDlite and click open as Administrator :)
    - Now click the ... button and click on your sbf file you downloaded earlier
    - Hit Start, however it rarely goes off without a hitch. If you get an error
    * Go to RSDlite file location and delete and files starting with " Flasherrorlog and delete it. Now close the RSD PROGRAM. Open it back up and open the newly created Flasherrorlog text document (creates one automatically). You should see something alone the lines of ERROR: \\?\c:\r.sbfqawñraï was not found. As you can see there are extra characters after the .sbf (These are unnecessary) so count the number of characters after the .sbf. in this example thier are 7. So now you go to your .sbf file you downloaded and add 7 extra letters to the file name. i used abc1234567.sbf as a final name. Just alter the number of numbers added depending on how many extra unecessary characters are after the sbf error log file.

- Now just re-open the RSDlite and your start button should now be clickable, let it do its thing.

Your phone should reboot itself and your now running stock.
    Congrats :)

Step 4
    - Download the rooted android update zip file
    * Save file to your desktop (don't extract files)
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Step 5
    - Plug your USB cord into your phone and mount the sd card ( Pull down the notifications bar and click USB>Mount)
    - Drag the update.zip file onto your SD card, not in any folders just on the main screen that pops up
    - Now unplug your phone from the USB cable

Step 6 FINAL STEP :D
    - Turn your phone off
    - Now turn your phone back on holding the power button and the X key until you see a ! screen.
    - Now close your slide keyboard and hold the volume up button and the camera button on the side of your phone.
    - A menu pops up and use your dpad to select the "Apply Update" option
    - Once its done installing everything just click " Reboot Now" from the same menu.
    Congratulations you just rooted your droid

Search tags for this page

droideasily