HOWTO Install Any Droid 2 ROM on your R2-D2 Droid 2 and keep all the R2-D2 theme bits

Reaction score
i installed RSD Lite and such and whatnot but it will not recognize my phone at all.
Any tips to get it to?

Which version of RSD Lite did you use? I used 4.9 and didn't have any problems.

I realized why my previous silent version didn't work. A simple Google search would have alerted me (and eventually did) to the fact that the bootanimation.zip file had to be an uncompressed ZIP file. I was using WinRAR, which compressed ZIP files by default; setting the compression level to "store" did the trick. I was therefore able to edit the desc.txt file to prevent it from playing the boot animation sound. Of course, that's functionally equivalent to removing or renaming the file, as it can't play a file it can't find... but I'm just OCD like that.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm pretty sure the Darth Vader widget was really just a picture gallery widget preset to the Darth Vader photo. I'm sure that, given time and the inclination, one could dig up the picture file by going through Angdroid's Star Wars ROM, but frankly, I don't think it's worth it!

Reaction score
tmsullivan, have you managed to sort out your troubles? Sorry I can't be of much help but you may have better luck in a thread/forum dedicated to RSD Lite and SBF-ing.

Meanwhile, I've been playing around with the new Liberty ROM and I really like it so far. This has real potential to become my permanent ROM. The best thing is that the built-in Liberty Toolbox makes changing boot animations and boot logos a breeze. I was also able to push all the live wallpapers and R2-D2 sounds I wanted into the appropriate system folders via ADB, something I was unable to do with Fission ("adb root" and "adb remount" would never work, nor would remounting /system via "adb shell").

Now... here's a little present for anyone who wants is. It's the perfect boot logo, in my opinion, to go with the R2-D2 boot animation. Enjoy.

Attachments

• logo.bin.zip
    37.3 KB · Views: 176
  • logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 431

Firewing

Reaction score
in northern cali, where the desert and the mountai
tmsullivan, have you managed to sort out your troubles? Sorry I can't be of much help but you may have better luck in a thread/forum dedicated to RSD Lite and SBF-ing.

Meanwhile, I've been playing around with the new Liberty ROM and I really like it so far. This has real potential to become my permanent ROM. The best thing is that the built-in Liberty Toolbox makes changing boot animations and boot logos a breeze. I was also able to push all the live wallpapers and R2-D2 sounds I wanted into the appropriate system folders via ADB, something I was unable to do with Fission ("adb root" and "adb remount" would never work, nor would remounting /system via "adb shell").

Now... here's a little present for anyone who wants is. It's the perfect boot logo, in my opinion, to go with the R2-D2 boot animation. Enjoy.

I know that boot animation is for a d2, but will it work on a d1? And do you just install by moving to system /media? I like it and would love to use it. :)

Sent from where the mountains meet the desert

OP
E

Ecnassianer

Reaction score
I updated the first post with the new download link and removed the nobootsound version. Thanks for all your help ming. Do you mind if I mirror the zip?

Sorry it took me so long. I missed the thread notification and didn't see the last two pages of posts. :)

tmsullivan, most of the RSDLite problems I see are because you have the wrong phone drivers installed. Try updating from the motorola site. If that doesn't work, try asking in an RSDLite thread. They'll know more than me.

Reaction score
I know that boot animation is for a d2, but will it work on a d1? And do you just install by moving to system /media? I like it and would love to use it. :)

I think I read on another thread (possibly in another forum) that the R2-D2 boot animation doesn't work well on the D1 because the D1 doesn't like full-sized boot animation images, which someone fixed by scaling the images down. (Don't quote me on this, though.) Google and see if you can find that post.

Anyhow, the file that should go into /system/media is called bootanimation.zip and should have three folders called "part0", "part1", and "part2", and a "desc.txt" file.

I have another present for you Star Wars fans out there. Lo and behold, the R2-D2 boot animation now has the proper Star Wars logo! Unzip the attached ZIP file and copy bootanimation.zip into /system/media (or /data/local). I also attached a GIF preview for your perusal that includes the "A long time ago..." boot logo I posted previously.

Attachments

• bootanimation.gif
    bootanimation.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 657
  • R2D2-bootanimation-with-yellow-logo.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 238

docfong

Reaction score
Does anyone have the 11MB "The Best of R2D2" video?
I restored all but the video with titanium backup after going to a custom ROM.
Also, what folder does it go in?

Reaction score
Does anyone have the 11MB "The Best of R2D2" video?
I restored all but the video with titanium backup after going to a custom ROM.
Also, what folder does it go in?

Sorry for removing that from my mod; I wasn't able to get the Best of R2-D2 app working so it seemed silly for that file to be sitting around in the system folder. I just made it available here for you; grab it quickly because I probably won't leave it on the server for too long. It should go into the /system/media/video folder; at least, that's where the Best of R2-D2 app would look for it if it were working. Please post your success story here if you're able to get it to work!

Alternatively, the next best thing would probably be to rename the file to whatever you want and keep it on your SD card, so that you can launch it via your favorite file manager whenever you want. That way, it's there when you want it, but it won't take up space in your app folder (and internal storage).

tecnologyman

Reaction score
Thanks for the tutorial, really helped me out on installing a custom rom in my Droid 2 R2D2.
Great job.

5sm

Reaction score
I was able to get The Best of R2D2 app on my phone by using bluetooth file transfer. I got on my wife's R2D2 and sent the app to myself, luckily it was in the list of available apps to transfer. I installed it from my SD card and it works fine minus not playing on start up. It shows in my application list with the R2D2 icon and everything.

The file is located in data/app/motorola.blurdemo-1.apk. I still have it on my sdcard so I can email it to someone if you want to make it available. I would guess you would want to download it to your sdcard and install from there.

Thanks,
5SM

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

docfong

Reaction score
I had no problems getting the Live Wallpapers restored except for TWO of them...

StarWarsESB_lightspeed.apk
StarWarsESB_R2D2.apk

When I drop them into the system/app folder with Root Explorer, change the permissions, and reboot I still get a force close.
I am running on a Fission ROM 2.5.7

Any ideas?

Reaction score
I had no problems getting the Live Wallpapers restored except for TWO of them...

StarWarsESB_lightspeed.apk
StarWarsESB_R2D2.apk

When I drop them into the system/app folder with Root Explorer, change the permissions, and reboot I still get a force close.
I am running on a Fission ROM 2.5.7

Any ideas?

Did you use the deodexed versions?

docfong

Reaction score
I used the files that were in mingaldrichgan's R2D2-bootanimationmod.zip

Reaction score

What ROM are you running?

I think they worked for me on Fission, but some of the live wallpapers FC'd on me in Liberty. I didn't investigate further, though, as the only live wallpaper I personally care about is 3D Millenium Falcon.

docfong

Reaction score

What ROM are you running?

I think they worked for me on Fission, but some of the live wallpapers FC'd on me in Liberty. I didn't investigate further, though, as the only live wallpaper I personally care about is 3D Millenium Falcon.

Fission_2.5.7_BE_DROID2