How's your phone's sliding holding up?

wil318466

Reaction score
Sorry to say you are wrong here, it is not meant to be removed..... Trust me!

Not to get off subject here, but whenever someone says "trust me", I always start paying close attention, because that person usually has no other response.

What could possibly be the reason for this plastic covering to be kept on? It obviously LOOKS like it should be removed simply because we are so trained as consumers to receive electronics covered in plastic to protect it while it ships. This is also true on new car windshields, large pieces of glass, etc etc.

What kind of design mechanics are involved where a black electronic device with a heavy metal case and a glass face need a flimsy plastic covering on the back of the device that doesn't say "do not remove"? If there were writing on it that said "do not remove", I might side with you here. Maybe.

But please, explain to me why you would say "trust me"? Have you researched this, or spoken to someone who had input in the design of the phone?

I might be taking this too far, in fact I know I am... but for some reason your simplistic response really annoyed me. You will never be able to convince me a cheap plastic covering was meant to be kept on an advanced device like this.

-Wil

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not against the idea of taking off the plastic at all.... just I have zero issue with my slider/phone and it's still stuck on there good.... no peeling corners.... since it ain't broke I'm not gonna fix it :)

I do believe it's probably supposed to be removed... like the rest of the plastic pieces on it out of the box.

FireDroid

Reaction score
I hear ya brother, if aint broke why fix it, I am just strongly opinionated when I here that it is there as part of the design and function.

Bottom line is I love mine and it works great!!!

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I pulled mine off soon after reading online that people were taking it off. Prior to reading about it I hadn't even noticed it existed.

I took it off because it plainly was there to be removed. It was exactly the same plastic I took off everywhere else. It was harder to remove because it was in a harder place to remove it.

The sliding action improved.

But then the bottom row of keys fell a little tiny bit... and I'm completely obsessed about them. Mainly the space bar is a little tiny bit lower...

Million

Reaction score
Took the plastic sticker off... slides smoother w/o it...

Sliding is good otherwise, its loose and slides as it should

OP
S

spazma7ik

Reaction score
I pulled mine off soon after reading online that people were taking it off. Prior to reading about it I hadn't even noticed it existed.

I took it off because it plainly was there to be removed. It was exactly the same plastic I took off everywhere else. It was harder to remove because it was in a harder place to remove it.

But then the bottom row of keys fell a little tiny bit... and I'm completely obsessed about them. Mainly the space bar is a little tiny bit lower...

Huh? I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by the bottom row fell?

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
See this thread. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...-pull-out-keyboard-question-2.html#post101707

Huh? I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by the bottom row fell?

Echo3

Reaction score
I wasn't even aware there was a piece of plastic film covering the back of the slider. My phone slides still smooth and tight. :icon_ banana:

bacalao

Reaction score
My droid slides a tiny bit more wobbly because I've dropped it, body slammed it 3 times... I'm a clumsy brute

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is meant to be removed. Don't take the word of a forum member who just happens to own the phone over Motorola, who actually produced the phone. Take it off, leave it on, that's up to you. Just don't spread misinformation when it has already been confirmed that it is meant to be removed.

twistedrotors

Reaction score
I've had my Droid since release day and I always use the hardware keyboard. I had left the back plastic on because it didn't seem to be hindering anything and it was really stuck on there. About 2 weeks ago air bubbles started popping up under the plastic. I would smooth them out but after a day of use they would come back. Still, no big deal. Yesterday though the edge of the plastic must have snagged on a roller and it got bunched up and creased. No way to smooth it back out so I just peeled it all off. It came off very easily. The slider is noticeably smoother now and still feels very solid. I really give the slider a workout but I think Motorola would stick the plastic on there with some better glue if it was necessary.

My .02? Leave it on until it falls off if you're worried about it.

-John

boatman2220

Reaction score
I have not pulled the plastic off the back of my sliding keyboard and I have zero issues with the slider. Sturdy as the day I bought it.
Same here. I rarely use the slide out keyboard. I thought that leaving the plastic there would shim it up enough to keep it a little extra tight.