1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How's your phone's sliding holding up?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by spazma7ik, Dec 28, 2009.

1. spazma7ik

spazma7ik New Member

I personally love the feel of the slider on the Droid, it feels very sturdy and secure when it locks in. Though I have heard some things about it wearing down shortly and becoming loose, which would totally annoy me.

Anybody who's had theirs for a while want to share how theirs is holding up?
  2. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

Mine works great and has since day one (release day)

some people pulled off the plastic on the back... (bad move) and that is what's causing issues with loose slides.
  3. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

I have not pulled the plastic off the back of my sliding keyboard and I have zero issues with the slider. Sturdy as the day I bought it.
  4. iiimegamaniii

iiimegamaniii New Member

I did yank the plastic garbage bag type thing off of the back and have had no issues with the slider--much smoother without it--still has the same "heft" / action as it did when I took that plastic thingy off.

- Mega
  5. spazma7ik

spazma7ik New Member

Ahh. Yeah that thing on the back, I noticed it and started to kind of peel it, then quickly realized it was too hard to peel for it to be meant to be removed.

Is it meant to be removed though? Mine's still on, so would it be in my best interest to keep it on?
  6. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

No it's no meant to be removed, it's there for a reason... to make it slide better and not wear into the metal over time.
  7. iiimegamaniii

iiimegamaniii New Member

An older thread had someone who actually called up Verizon & Motorola and supposedly they both said it was meant to be removed. <shrug> Mine's been fine and works better without it--it isn't as "sticky".

- Mega
  8. dezymond

dezymond RS Lead Premium Member

+1

i thought the slider was a bit too hard to slide with that plastic on so i ripped it off. still feels very sturdy and not loose at all, but easier to slide.
  9. Martin030908

I'll peel mine off when it starts to fall off... until then it can stay :)
  10. iiimegamaniii

iiimegamaniii New Member

11. FireDroid

FireDroid New Member

Yes it is meant to be removed, it is like the protective film that was on the face and back when it was removed from the box. It is there to protect the finish during construction and packaging.
    I am pretty sure that motorola did not go though all the trouble of designing and constructing an all aluminum case with a gorilla glass face just to hinge the funtion of the slider on a piece of less than 1mm piece of plastic film!
    I pulled mine off on day one along with all the other protective films and it has worked fine, I think people should stop being so neurotic and just use their damn phone!!!
  12. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

Sorry to say you are wrong here, it is not meant to be removed..... Trust me!
  13. dezymond

dezymond RS Lead Premium Member

then you don't have to remove it. it shouldn't concern you if other owners remove it or not, right?
  14. iiimegamaniii

iiimegamaniii New Member

I smell a new poll coming soon... LOL

Question:
    Do you let'er slide free, or do you do it with protection?

- Mega
  15. FireDroid

FireDroid New Member

Where is the proof that it is supposed to stay as part of the design??? I am using common sense here, think about it! Why would they use a small piece of plastic film for the design in an all aluminimum phone with a "special" gorilla glass. You think they would have used a special coating similar on the backside of the screen. There are little grooves deigned into it.
    To each his own I guess, but I ripped mine off asap and have been good to go! I guess the next car I buy I will request that the dealer leave the plastic film on from the factory so as not to harm the paint over the lifetime of the car.:icon_ banana:
  16. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

17. FireDroid

FireDroid New Member

+1 for Wil
  18. Martin030908

I'm not against the idea of taking off the plastic at all.... just I have zero issue with my slider/phone and it's still stuck on there good.... no peeling corners.... since it ain't broke I'm not gonna fix it :)

I do believe it's probably supposed to be removed... like the rest of the plastic pieces on it out of the box.
  19. FireDroid

FireDroid New Member

I hear ya brother, if aint broke why fix it, I am just strongly opinionated when I here that it is there as part of the design and function.

Bottom line is I love mine and it works great!!!
  20. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

I pulled mine off soon after reading online that people were taking it off. Prior to reading about it I hadn't even noticed it existed.

I took it off because it plainly was there to be removed. It was exactly the same plastic I took off everywhere else. It was harder to remove because it was in a harder place to remove it.

The sliding action improved.

But then the bottom row of keys fell a little tiny bit... and I'm completely obsessed about them. Mainly the space bar is a little tiny bit lower...