Hows Battery Life??? I want to hear from rooted users...

cpjr

Reaction score
Rooted, running Das BAMF 1.4 ROM, Drod's 1.8 kernel clocked to 1.5ghz w/ custom profiles, etc ,etc....

I get MUCH MUCH MUCH better battery life than out of the box.

How's the 1.8 kernel? What profiles are you using? Thanks in advance.

:icon_eek:

I love it. Ive tried most that are out and this is the only one that I can crank up and it runs like a beast on my phone.

I have a profile to turn the clockspeed to a minimum when the screen is off, also one that turns the clockspeed down to 1.0ghz if the battery goes under 30%.

geoff5093

Reaction score
You don't have to be rooted to toggle 4G on and off. Either Phone Info or LTE On/Off works for that. I am currently rooted with Das BAMF and running at 1228 MHz and my battery life seems to be better. Adrynalyne does good work.
No you don't, just dial ##PROGRAM on your dialer and change the radio mode from CDMA + EVDO/LTE to CDMA Auto (PRL).

aluislugo

Reaction score
Bloatware and battery life

What bloatware specifically have others removed in order to improve battery life?

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Hey, so the reviews online for the Tbolt are saying horrible battery life... but I have to assume that this is going to be an issue for average users who dont remove bloat or learn how to switch 4g off... So for those of you who are running de-bloated custom roms, hows the battery life going and what are you doing to improve it? Thanks!

With the standard battery I'm getting roughly the same I got with my d1 on a gingerbread Rom. With the extended battery, I don't know if I could even kill it in 1 day should I try to! (from normal heavy use of course. Obviously navigation and streaming music for long periods would probably do it, but that's stating the obvious.)

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT using Tapatalk

monolithic

Reaction score
I'm running DasBAMF 1.4 with imoseyon's leanKernel 1.41GHz Extreme version.

It's under-volted and over-clocked to 1.41 GHz with imoseyon's Thunderbolt tweaks included.

I've thad tremendous battery life and performance. It's not going to work on all phones, but it's working pristine on mine.

imoseyon is a Linux engineer and the guy seems to know his stuff. The results speak for themselves.

I've also read over on XDA that over-clocking your Thunderbolt past 1.41 GHz isn't going to help you with performance and will just decrease battery life.

imoseyon's kernels:
[Kernel] leanKernel: minimal kernel, 1.41Ghz (and 1.92Ghz) - xda-developers

M.

droidFreak190

Reaction score
Here's my story I rooted a week ago and left everything stock...I did setcpu and underclocked alittle. Went from 6 to 10 hours...just flashed adrenalyn 1.4 ghz (b) kernel..and now I'm at 15 almost 16 hours with no 4g use....that kernel runs amazing with my stock rom

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

wooddale

Reaction score
Running DasBAMF with whatever rom came with it set cpu to 1.2 get 6 to 8 hrs but Im in a 4G area took a little trip other day about 250 miles was in 3G phone ran good hard to tell about bat life wasnt there long enough

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Running DasBAMF with whatever rom came with it set cpu to 1.2 get 6 to 8 hrs but Im in a 4G area took a little trip other day about 250 miles was in 3G phone ran good hard to tell about bat life wasnt there long enough

You running it at 1.2 all the time? If so try keeping it at 1ghz and use smartass governor. Also, are you syncing everything imaginable or using a task killer? Those will drain your battery. Usually when someone says 6 hrs they are using task killers.

Your battery should be better than that, maybe you have a defective battery?

wooddale

Reaction score

You running it at 1.2 all the time? If so try keeping it at 1ghz and use smartass governor. Also, are you syncing everything imaginable or using a task killer? Those will drain your battery. Usually when someone says 6 hrs they are using task killers.

I know I should cut it down to 1ghz I am running smartass. You are running remix whats the difference Im still on regular. Im looking at all ther stuff thats running on the apps lots of stuff there I dont have task killer only thing I have is a look alike clock from market thats looks like htc clock I like it because it shows me bat temp and info on how much space Im using. Seems to me I could get rid of some of the rtunning crapo but noit sure what

sgtguthrie

Reaction score

I know I should cut it down to 1ghz I am running smartass. You are running remix whats the difference Im still on regular. Im looking at all ther stuff thats running on the apps lots of stuff there I dont have task killer only thing I have is a look alike clock from market thats looks like htc clock I like it because it shows me bat temp and info on how much space Im using. Seems to me I could get rid of some of the rtunning crapo but noit sure what

Try a different kernel. Download kernel manager from the market (it makes it sooo easy) and install the first kernel listed. It's "leankernel extreme". The developer is a Linux engineer so he's got some talent. I'm using his interactive x governor and so far it rocks!

The bamf remix is the same Rom just a different theme. I've seen significant battery increases since I stopped using the stock launcher. Take all your widgets off of it (so they don't run) and try launcherpro. It is way more snappy, has a ton of options, and the plus widgets don't hog battery like sense does.
If you have any more questions let me know, I'll gladly help.

Edit:
Also, create a shortcut on your desktop for "settings/running services". Stop everything except your keyboard, setcpu, Google services, and connect to pc. Check it regularly and that'll help too.

Last edited:

wooddale

Reaction score

Try a different kernel. Download kernel manager from the market (it makes it sooo easy) and install the first kernel listed. It's "leankernel extreme". The developer is a Linux engineer so he's got some talent. I'm using his interactive x governor and so far it rocks!

The bamf remix is the same Rom just a different theme. I've seen significant battery increases since I stopped using the stock launcher. Take all your widgets off of it (so they don't run) and try launcherpro. It is way more snappy, has a ton of options, and the plus widgets don't hog battery like sense does.
If you have any more questions let me know, I'll gladly help.

Edit:
Also, create a shortcut on your desktop for "settings/running services". Stop everything except your keyboard, setcpu, Google services, and connect to pc. Check it regularly and that'll help too.

Instead of talking here Im gonna PM ya if thats allwright

Its TwiX

Reaction score
BAMF 1.4
1.3.2 kernel overclocked to 1.2 smartass gov no SetCPU
Sync every 2 hours for apps
4G off when in pocket
14 hours of uptime on heavy use. :D

Sent from my BAMFed out Thunderbolt

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
What bloatware specifically have others removed in order to improve battery life?

Anybody? Please

I believe the biggest battery savings come from being able to downclock your HTC Thunderbolt when you're not using it. Second, removing bloatware and setting your syncs to 1 day instead of 15mins-1hour also help.

In my experience as a non-rooted user for 3 weeks before I rooted - the app Blockbuster was downloading thousands of files all the time even though I never used it. I saw on my SD card almost 2,000 files that totaled to almost 100MB from the Blockbuster app alone.

I've seen battery improvement by running a De-Sensed (no HTC Sense) rom as well.

I think another close contender is running the screen at 20-30% brightness manually instead of auto-brightness.