Howdy DroidForums

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by deronvk, Dec 2, 2010.

1. deronvk

deronvk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    New here but old in Droid years, got my Moto Droid the first weekend they were available in Phoenix. Kept it stock all this time until just a few days ago. Posted in another area here - looking for help with my baseband.

Glad to finally be getting into this and starting to understand how it all works - hopefully able to get some help as well as contribute back.

Thinking of upgrading to a Droid X - with Verizon they let you upgrade after 1 year if you pay a $20 fee you can get the 2 year pricing (and of course extend the contract another year). Kind of thinking it might be worth waiting for a 4g Droid, but haven't heard anything about when that might be.

Peace,
    Deron

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Welcome! What issues are you having with baseband?

3. deronvk

deronvk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Baseband unknown

Not sure if this is a faux pas but copying from orignal post in the Rescue Squad forum:

Having baseband issues and getting no service on my droid after spilling a little water on it. Battery indicator shows a little bleed in the Xs and the phone indicator is totally dry. I let the phone dry, powered it back on and everything works except for cell service. Up until this time, the phone was stock so I'm still a noob. After reading everything here, this is where I've ended up:

Android 2.2
    Baseband - unknown
    Kernel - 2.6.32.9-P3Droidpierce@MyDroidWorld#186
    Build - Bugless Beast V0.5

Everything works great with this combination except still no cell service. So, after that, I loaded the update.zip for baseband C_01.3E.03P and power up the phone and am able to activate the phone and have cell service ...for about 1 minute. Then something happens and the baseband reverts to "unknown" and I lose cell service.

Trying to figure out a way to either lock in the old Eclair baseband or any other solution for getting cell service back. I have yet to try "gently swishing" the phone in iso alcohol; saving that for when all else fails.

Thanks,
    Deron

4. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Welcome to DroidForums!!
    The issue COULD be liquid related but we'll see what we can come up with. Isn't your D1 on FRG22D? I'd give the 43 baseband a shot but I can't promise it'll work but, you will be in no worse shape than now. I downloaded mine from Pete's site...www.peteralfonso.com.

DroidForums junkie!

5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    This seem odd. I have a different rom but my baseband is C_01.3E.03P, Android version 2.2, and 2.6.32.9-P3Droidpierce@MyDroidWorld#8.

Have you considered flashing a different rom?

Mike

6. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,809
    Twitter:
    jstaff79
    A ROM won't change the baseband....gotta flash that seperate. If you're rooted with a custom recovery you won't get OTA's so no new basebands unless you install them manually.

Sent from somewhere...

7. deronvk

deronvk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, my phone was stock before this so when i started it back up it had the 43 baseband I think. I'll put that on and try it to be sure and let you know. I know for sure that if I load up the 2.1 stock sbf that the phone works. It's very strange that when I load the C_01.3E.03P baseband update.zip it stays for only a minute after activation...

Thanks again, Deron

8. deronvk

deronvk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Error on installing C_01.43.01P

Tried installing the C_01.43.01P and got this error:

assert failed: sholes.update_cmda_bp("/tmp/rdl.bin", "/tmp/bp.img") E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 7)
    Installation aborted.

Doh.

Thinking I'll try the C_01.3E.03P first then without rebooting, try this one again...any other thoughts?

Thanks,
    Deron

9. deronvk

deronvk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Quick update: any baseband update I try returns the same error now. Tried one from P3Droid as well; same result. Now I'm really confused/stuck...any ideas?

10. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,809
    Twitter:
    jstaff79
    Have you tried changing ROMs?

Sent from somewhere...

11. deronvk

deronvk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    jstafford - I am up for anything - but still very new at this. Do you have a ROM you would recommend? Here's what I'm in the middle of doing:

1) RSD Lite to push stock 2.1 sbf file
    -Phone boots up and I can activate and make calls.
    2) RSD Lite to push SPRecovery sbf file

Next, should I do the update.zip with a custom ROM or kernel first? Or are those the same things? Still learning the lingo. :icon_eek:
    Thanks again....

12. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +455
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    ROM first, kernel second. Every ROM ships with a kernel. Some are stock, some are custom-built, the rest are kanged (with or without permission ;)) from another dev.

Did you ever get your baseband installed? The 43 baseband requires the previous baseband flashed first; you can't update from the original baseband directly unless the update.zip flashes the one first, then the other.