How would you install ROM using a Mac?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by pantherfan2010, Feb 9, 2010.

1. pantherfan2010

pantherfan2010 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone help me try to install a new Rom using a Mac Pro OSX? There doesn't seem to be any instruction, I do have the SDK with pathway correctly installed, so I can see my device. However, there does not seem to be any instruction from here? I may use a UBUNTU live disk if it would make things easier. But am Kind of lost.

I know this is general question, but whats my next step?

2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Honestly you shouldn't need the SDK to install a ROM....you do need it to install SPRecovery though...have you installed that?

3. pantherfan2010

Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to do that now, but the pathways they give are for Windows and mine are a bit different here. I have the droid mounted to my back and just entered the adb command. I downloaded that program. How would I install it to my mac?

4. gentlefury

gentlefury Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you need to use a mac to do adb its exactly the same as windows except you don't need drivers for the phone and to execute a command file you have to type ./ before the filename since it is unix based.

5. robotkiller

robotkiller Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Mac and never touched it when uploading my ROM. Not sure what instructions you are looking at. Like the other poster said - Root the phone, load up sprecovery, boot in recovery mode and install the files (using whichever method is used for your specific ROM - ie update.zip or Nandroid backup)

6. joshnichols189

joshnichols189 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a mac and never had to touch the terminal on my computer.. I did everything from the terminal on my phone once I was rooted, which I also did mostly from the phone.. I just transferred the files over from my computer because they downloaded faster..

All I had to do was mount the phone to the computer and the SD card would show up as a drive "NO NAME" and then I just placed files directly onto it (the root), and followed the steps from there.

7. bgrubb7

bgrubb7 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Try this link. I've never used the SDK or ADB for anything.

I used the instructions from right here to get Rooted and get SPRecovery installed. From there, you just install or restore from SPRecovery.

Also, try Droid Root Helper from the Market. It's an easy way to install SPRecovery and Busybox. Also Root Explorer (also from the market) is well worth the $1.99 as it will save you alot of time and keep you from having to use the terminal emulator to do most system tasks.

8. pantherfan2010

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay cool. I'm downloading smoke glass now. It is a .zip file. so I just copy the main file under nandroid then? I don't care about recovery, I have nothing saved.

9. pantherfan2010

Ratings:
    +0
    Easy to do. Didn't need to use the terminal. Tried to make life much more difficult.

Search tags for this page
android rom on a mac
custom rom android mac
how to flash android roms on a mac
how to flash rom using mac
how to install android rom using mac
how to install rom with mac

how to install roms on mac

install custom rom mac
install rom mac
rom installer android mac