How will 2.2 come to rooted rom users?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by kasch18, May 12, 2010.

1. kasch18

kasch18 New Member

So I rooted after the 2.1 ota update. Now that I am rooted and using custom roms (changes often but currently ud new era), what will happen when the new 2.2 update is released? Will the rom devs have to incorporate the features into new rom releases? If I was pure stock rooted would I recieve the ota update? Will we need a new sbf for a rooted 2.2? I know enough to install these roms etc, but I don't really know enough about how this all really works. Thanks
  2. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

It would show up the same way 2.1 showed up:
    1). A leaked development release starts getting used to build custom ROMs
    2). Over the air update is released to select audiences.
    3). Somebody grabs the update.zip and modifies it to include root (so that anybody that wants to can install it without losing root)
    4). The update gets used as a base for custom ROM images

Pretty soon everyone is making their roms out of 2.2

On the one hand, you'll be maybe a week behind the update if you don't want to update. On the other hand, most of the updates for 2.2 will probably already be in your custom rom by the time they release it.
  3. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

I don't know if I could ever go back to stock after rooting my phone. I had the Motorola Droid for 5 months after I finally decided to root. After Pete's BB 1.0 with the Smoked Glass theme with a 1.0Ghz overclock..... I can wait a week or two after the official release for a BB 2.2 version. :p
  4. verian

verian Guest

I'd put my money on the fact that the developers with be making 2.2 better then the ota and will probably have it sooner then everyone else. We were running 2.1 for a long time before it ever was released.
  5. Glock

Glock New Member

Given the amount of time it took them to push 2.1 to us...I don't know that we will ever get 2.2 except through custom roms...you may be a hair presumptuous there :D
  6. elementaldesign

elementaldesign New Member

2.2 update

When 2.2 update is released refuse the update unless your sure your sprecovery or clockworkmod recovery will block it. Check posts before you accept it. Like they said previously it will take 1-2 weeks before most roms will be updated to 2.2. Its just a matter of time. Motorola may be trying to lock down the phone to prevent root. So be carefull on installing the update.
  7. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 New Member

The Droid will 99% likely not get 2.2 as motos next phone is coming, and my bet is well before then lol we literally just got 2.1. But yes, they would incorporate features, or as alot do, just use it as a base and go from there.
  8. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 New Member

We never got root through a modified official 2.1 ota like we did with 2.0.1, not sure where you got that info from...
  9. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

Yes we did. Pete put out an update.zip file that gave you stock 2.1 with root access. It's right here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  10. elementaldesign

droid 2.2

The Droid most definitely will get 2.2. Motorola is not giving up on the phone that put Android above the iPhone. I signed up with adobe to beta test the flash player. I received the 10.1 flash player for PC earlier this month and suspect android will be released in June.

Anyone have screenshots of ultimatedroid new era?
  11. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Blackdroidmod.com
  12. elementaldesign

ultimatedroid new era

I checked blackdroids site before just discription no pics. I thought someone may have a screen capture of themes and stuff. Thanks anyways.
    Ultimatedroid v10 running smooth @ 900hrz freezes and force closes requiring battery pull above 1 ghz.
  13. Anarchist310000

Anarchist310000 New Member

Where did u get that info. The droid is scheduled to get 2.2 as it comes with flash and adobe has been developing flash for the Moto Droid as well i doubt we will see all that work go to waste.