How/Where do I start? Should I?

OP
O

OwlD2G

Reaction score
That is a link to my copy of the file. It should work just fine...

worked like a charm, thanks; now that I'm rooted, what's the first mod you recommend? over-clocking? If so, where can I find those steps?

xPhoenix777

Reaction score
If you are following these instructions properly, you will wipe your data. Make sure to back-up in the steps. If you have Google Backup enabled, it should restore everything (including apps) once you get the new ROM running.

If you are not sure about hopping on a ROM just yet, buy titanium backup (look here) then you can go to http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/117840-difinitive-apps-freeze-list.html and freeze much of the bloat.

If you want to install a new ROM, here are the files needed (2 links. Left is the APK, right is the marketplace buy link. The APKs are the free versions LEGAL):
Bootstrapper - Marketplace Link
Rom Manager - Marketplace Link

Put them in the Dropbox like the Z4Root, and install. Both are on the market place and I would recommend buying them, support the developers so they can make more and better apps. These are free, legally, too... Its your choice.

Once installed, run the bootstrapper and and choose bootstrap recovery. Reboot. If you are booted into a black screen with a green menu, just hit the camera button to continue into the Android OS (will happen once in a while).

Now, you can use the ROM manager - The boot strapper steps are here too... but start at step 8 if you have the bootstrap already done: Team Defuse ROM Install - the ROM has a forum post here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ic-android-aosp-like-fission-rom-manager.html

My setup is just that... then lots of apps.

OP
O

OwlD2G

Reaction score
OK, now, I'm panicking. I don't see my apps, my wallpapers, anything. I know I have root access. What am I doing wrong?

xPhoenix777

Reaction score
did you install a ROM? That will erase everything...If you bought apps, they can be re-downloaded free. You can re-download all your apps from the market.

Wallpapers and contacts should have been backed up by the google backup and they will slowly make their way back to your phone. Your contacts should all be there still.

If you want to go back, you can open the bootstrapper and reboot to recovery. There is options in there to restore. Otherwise, on your SD card, if you followed the steps, you have everything in the data folder backed up - your wallpapers should be there.

If there is anything vital (maybe wallpapers or anything) keep it on your SD card or in dropbox from here out, in case you want to flash a new ROM.

OP
O

OwlD2G

Reaction score
did you install a ROM? That will erase everything...If you bought apps, they can be re-downloaded free. You can re-download all your apps from the market.

Wallpapers and contacts should have been backed up by the google backup and they will slowly make their way back to your phone. Your contacts should all be there still.

If you want to go back, you can open the bootstrapper and reboot to recovery. There is options in there to restore. Otherwise, on your SD card, if you followed the steps, you have everything in the data folder backed up - your wallpapers should be there.

If there is anything vital (maybe wallpapers or anything) keep it on your SD card or in dropbox from here out, in case you want to flash a new ROM.

I didn't buy a ROM or do anything, for that matter, after I rooted my D2G, so...all should be fine, eventually, right?

xPhoenix777

Reaction score
Nothing should have changed after you ran Z4Root. If you installed a ROM, things would change. Rooting doesn't do anything more than allow you to do more with SOME apps. Without other apps that harness this "admin power", rooting essentially does nothing.

What else have you done? You could get everything back shortly through Google (if it was auto backed up). I am not sure what you did if you didn't put a ROM on your phone or anything. Honestly I can't even tell you what to do other than wait it out. If you installed Fission and Bootstrap, that would be one thing...

Let us know what you did after rooting.

OP
O

OwlD2G

Reaction score
After rooting, I don't think I did anything risky at all...or anything...at all...period. I guess I'll just have to wait a few hours and see if things go back to the way they were. I'll keep you posted.

OwlD2G

NongATongE

Reaction score
If you are not sure about hopping on a ROM just yet, buy titanium backup (look here) then you can go to http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/117840-difinitive-apps-freeze-list.html and freeze much of the bloat.

If you want to install a new ROM, here are the files needed (2 links. Left is the APK, right is the marketplace buy link. The APKs are the free versions LEGAL):
Bootstrapper - Marketplace Link
Rom Manager - Marketplace Link

Put them in the Dropbox like the Z4Root, and install. Both are on the market place and I would recommend buying them, support the developers so they can make more and better apps. These are free, legally, too... Its your choice.

Once installed, run the bootstrapper and and choose bootstrap recovery. Reboot. If you are booted into a black screen with a green menu, just hit the camera button to continue into the Android OS (will happen once in a while).

Now, you can use the ROM manager - The boot strapper steps are here too... but start at step 8 if you have the bootstrap already done: Team Defuse ROM Install - the ROM has a forum post here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ic-android-aosp-like-fission-rom-manager.html

My setup is just that... then lots of apps.
Greetings!
I too just got my D2G and wanted to root it (I'm a root n00b). I've been running an un-rooted Eris for a year. Thanks for all the info so far. you guys are great. I've downloaded z4root and rooted with 0 problems! I was getting ready to run the bootstrapper you referenced in this thread, and wanted to be sure that it will work with the D2G, as it appears to be for the D2.

-Also, I'm not necessarily sure I want to run a new ROM. I may just want to remove some of the bloatware that Motorola and Verizon were so kind to provide. (hopefully can save some power) Is anyone aware of a relatively simple way to do this? (or at least a published list of the worst offending apps?)

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

jjdavola

Reaction score
Greetings!
I too just got my D2G and wanted to root it (I'm a root n00b). I've been running an un-rooted Eris for a year. Thanks for all the info so far. you guys are great. I've downloaded z4root and rooted with 0 problems! I was getting ready to run the bootstrapper you referenced in this thread, and wanted to be sure that it will work with the D2G, as it appears to be for the D2.

-Also, I'm not necessarily sure I want to run a new ROM. I may just want to remove some of the bloatware that Motorola and Verizon were so kind to provide. (hopefully can save some power) Is anyone aware of a relatively simple way to do this? (or at least a published list of the worst offending apps?)

Thanks!

I'd get Titanium Backup PRO and look HERE or you can always try THIS.

xPhoenix777

Reaction score
Greetings!

Thanks!

I'd get Titanium Backup PRO and look HERE or you can always try THIS.

This is the best way to go. Exactly what I would recommend. Titanium Pro is a purchase, but it is WELL worth it! But now we don't have to use appbrain, here is the market link, auto downloads to your phone with no extra apps:
Actual App - Free
Upgrade - The license so that way you can freeze the apps. Again, WELL worth the purchase.

NongATongE

Reaction score
hey, Thanks for the help xPhoenix777 and jjdavola! worked like a charm. Titanium is the bomb-diggity!
My battery life and performance are greatly improved!