[HOW TO] Wi-Fi Tether on Droid 4

93fuelslut

Reaction score
Okay! I upgraded to the latest ICS on my Droid 4 courtesy of Verizon! Yay, finally got some ICS love. So first thing I do is re-root and then download wifi-tether and no joy! So I have been playing with it all weekend trying to get it to work. Finally tonight a new wifi-tether beta is was released and works with your instructions. Even though I can set the SSID and turn on encryption, my PC says it is not encrypted. At least I am up an running with some internet access again. Thanks for your work, I wouldn't have gotten anything working without your post! The version of Wifi-Tether I am using is wifi_tether_v3_2-beta1.apk. Happy tethering again!

Droid 4 - ICS 4.0.4
What is the point of encryption? And changing ssid?

lak4

Reaction score
Encryption is good practice and keeps people from seeing your data using tools like wireshark. I change the SSID as a personal preference. You don't have to do either that is up to you.

wkearney99

Reaction score
Any updates on this? I've just gotten my d4 upgraded and likewise can't seem to get wifi-tether working on it. In fact, changing the device profile more than a few times actually caused the whole phone to reboot. I was trying to see if any of the other profiles would work and the phone rebooted.

haztv

Reaction score
I can't seem to get this to work. I'm on the latest version of cm10 and I get up to the settings.db part. I don't have a settings tab to scroll to line #150 and do the entitlement check. Is this only for ics?
Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

wkearney99

Reaction score
I picked up the SQL tool, changed the entitlement value, did a full reboot and the built-in app works. Never did get foxfi or wifi tether working. Wifi tether was working with rooted pre-ICS. No idea why it stopped (other than ICS changes) but the SQL hack kind of obviates the need.

snowman

Reaction score
Before I rooted a short while agao
I just plugged in the cable and turned on wi-fi tether
the option was not there till you plugged in the cable but it always has worked fine
no special anything no root or anything required?
why go thru all thiese steps when it's just in the phone stock?
actually I checked it with speed test and it uploaded and downloaded at about 25 MBPS steady, I was shocked at the upload speeds on 4G

not trying to be a smart guy or anything but why all the programs and jazz for something it does stock?

Last edited:

snowman

Reaction score
Mine is unlimited and it just free they don't know if the data you download is from tethered or just downloaded?
it's just x amount of downloaded data now if you say these don't show the amount of data downloaded , thats different
I tether and it's just data dosen't show on my bill that I tethered? i still don't get it?
I know there aren't many unlimited plans left

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Mine is unlimited and it just free they don't know if the data you download is from tethered or just downloaded?
it's just x amount of downloaded data now if you say these don't show the amount of data downloaded , thats different
I tether and it's just data dosen't show on my bill that I tethered? i still don't get it?
I know there aren't many unlimited plans left
they charge u 20 if its on 3g. on 4g fcc said they cant charge ya that 20 so they dont.

snowman

Reaction score
ok thanks never heard of such a thing thats not good I guess I'm lucky also on 4G
I appreciate the explanation

ovelayer

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i cant believe how easy this was and how good it works! thank you:icon_ banana: