How to use z4root with the Ally?

B

budmonster

I'm use to rooting Droids not an Ally. My girlfriend has one, I'm wondering how I do it? z4root says its complatbiale with the LG Ally, but when I click root the app just sits there and the loading circle just spins around. Does it take a real long time or something, I dont know what Im doing wrong. The phone is on 2.1-update 1 and is the latest.

Do I need to flash a recovery, etc.? How does the root process work for this phone?

Thanks guys...

kevinbewy

Reaction score
I used androot and it was my first time but went pretty easily... however I had some problems with a lot of force closes associated with a2sd but no problems since I reflashed and didn't install it

Sent from my Ally using DroidForums App

OP
D

dankarlinski

superoneclick should work like gem said. i used it on my d2 before i stumbled upon the z4. superoneclick is your best bet.

however, z4 did take around 5 minutes to root my d2.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I was able to root my gfs ally that way. I initially used universalandroot, and it worked until the latest ota update. I tried z4root after that and it DID work.

Which one did you try? Thew one with chinese characters or the one by Ryan at xda? I downloaded the version that was available off the market (offers temproot OR permanent root).

Droidforums.net appified!

OP
D

dankarlinski

you need to use the english one.

it was pulled from the market, but i have an APK file. shoot me a PM if you need it

OP
B

budmonster

I tried using the one from xda 1.3.0. It just hangs on the Ally. The loading circle just keeps going. I just exited the app. Does it take longer to root than the Droidx? She has the latest update on her Ally.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I can confirm that version 1.3 of z4root does work on the latest update for Ally. I just bought one for my daughter today, applied the latest update and used z4root version 1.3 to root it in about 30 seconds.

Are you turning on usb debugging before trying to use z4root?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

collinjm01

Reaction score
I tried Z4 and superoneclick and neither worked on my gfs ally. I cant figure it out. Ive rooted my droid1 like 234324 times and i cant get this phone to do it. Any help?

Reaction score
I tried Z4 and superoneclick and neither worked on my gfs ally. I cant figure it out. Ive rooted my droid1 like 234324 times and i cant get this phone to do it. Any help?

What version of z4root did you use? I read that only version 1.3 will work on the latest update for the Ally. There wasn't really anything special I did to get it to root, really - as soon as I got the phone home and on wifi it prompted me to apply the latest update, which I did. I then turned on usb debugging, loaded z4root version 1.3 onto the sd card, installed it, opened it, clicked on permanent root and about 30 seconds later it rebooted and I had superuser icon. I confirmed by running Titanium Backup and all ran perfectly.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Exactly right! You need to open z4, hit menu, and about and make sure its v1.3.0.

What version of z4root did you use? I read that only version 1.3 will work on the latest update for the Ally. There wasn't really anything special I did to get it to root, really - as soon as I got the phone home and on wifi it prompted me to apply the latest update, which I did. I then turned on usb debugging, loaded z4root version 1.3 onto the sd card, installed it, opened it, clicked on permanent root and about 30 seconds later it rebooted and I had superuser icon. I confirmed by running Titanium Backup and all ran perfectly.

DroidForums junkie!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Most of the time, when it hangs up, exiting and force stopping it in manage applications > all then rebooting and running permanent root will work. Have you tried that?

I tried using the one from xda 1.3.0. It just hangs on the Ally. The loading circle just keeps going. I just exited the app. Does it take longer to root than the Droidx? She has the latest update on her Ally.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

DroidForums junkie!!

xixgrimmxix

Reaction score
If u need the correct z4root, pm me... ill email u the apk file to ur gmail on ur phone

sent from lg ally (rooted running velocity 0.3)