How to use Wireless Tethering?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by xpvtlag, Dec 6, 2010.

1. xpvtlag

xpvtlag New Member

I'm a new member to the forums, although i browse them quite often, so first off, hi.

Second, if this is in the wrong area, mods please move it, i just figured this would be appropriate.

Now to my problem, i rooted my Droid yesterday, mainly for the Wireless Tethering feature. I just need to know how to use it, or what to use it with.

I have it installed on my phone, but when i press the screen to start using it shows my download speed at .4kb and upload speed as 0.0
    How do i fix this?
    I changed the SSID and passphrase to make it easily identifiable, and the channel is "Channel 06 (2437 MHz)"
    I also have a couple questions about it

1)When i press start tethering, should it basically be a wireless HotSpot?
    2)Do i need it to be plugged into my pc in order for it to work?
    3)I am on my desktop computer and do not have a laptop with a wireless card (which i read i needed to have), does that mean i can't use it?

Thanks in advance!
  2. pierced_droid

pierced_droid New Member

it shows my download speed at .4kb and upload speed as 0.0
    How do i fix this?
    I changed the SSID and passphrase to make it easily identifiable, and the channel is "Channel 06 (2437 MHz)"
    I also have a couple questions about it

It shows those speeds cause you are not using it yet.

1)When i press start tethering, should it basically be a wireless HotSpot?
    Just Like a Wireless Router

2)Do i need it to be plugged into my pc in order for it to work?

No

3)I am on my desktop computer and do not have a laptop with a wireless card (which i read i needed to have), does that mean i can't use it?

You can buy a USB Bluetooth adapter for and use it to connect to Wireless Tehther VIA USB. Depending on rom you have I know Ultimate Droid has a Wired Tether Feature.

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
  3. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

:welcome: to the forums!

I have never had to change those settings within the Wireless Tether app, but YMMV. And I think the last poster might have been correct as to your speeds. Failing that, your speeds are at the mercy of whatever signal your phone is getting and passing through to the app.

No. On the A855 Droid 1, the hardware isn't there for the full infrastucture mode, i.e. 'hot spot' (or like a wireless router). It will act as a 'ad hoc' connection which will connect fine to some devices, but not others. YMMV.

No. That would not be 'wireless'. There is USB tethering but that's a whole other story.

Yes. Or no. You will not be able to use a computer that does not have a wireless adapter to connect to the internet with this app.
Search tags for this page

android usb tethering router

what determines mobil hotspot speed