How to use my Verizon Droid4 as internat, unlocked, local SIM cell in Costa Rica?

ardenb

Reaction score
Need help in figuring out what can be done to use my US bought phone as a local international phone in Costa Rica.
1- Does my US phone need to be unlocked, and how is that done without voiding its warranty?
2- Can I just replace my US Verizon SIM with a local Costa Rican SIM? Is that all I need to do?
3- What else do I need to know about making my phone into a true international phone?
4 -There has got to be a better option than buying or renting another international phone or using my current
US phone and settling for Verizon's very expensive service solution?
5- Is there an existing thread or discussion that covers any or all of these questions? Where is that info?

duxdad

Reaction score
I have some first hand experience with setting up a phone for Costa Rica. I gave my son my old Droid 2 about which I called Verizon Global the unlock code. Was given easily. I then found a website costaricacellularconnection.com. I purchased an "ICE" sim card which they shipped to my home. I installed the card, entered the Motorola unlock code, the sim card PUK and lock code. When my son arrived last week he turned it on and is online and talking.
You can also add value online. They charge a 2 or 3 dollar service charge and there customer service is excellent. My son lost his PUK number and they promptly received it.
You can check with Verizon Global if you need a unlock code for the phone, not sure you need it for this phone