How To Use ADB: All Commands and Options

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by alquimista, Dec 5, 2009.

1. baniels

baniels New Member

I must be doing something wrong. I have root.

I have tried both ways to install the gallery - adb shell and just as you described in your quote below.

Both times I get "Gallery.apk does not contain androidmanifest.xml"

Any thoughts?

2. baniels

baniels New Member

Nevermind. File I had had an .apk.zip extension. I removed the .zip, as is necessary with some apk's floating around. Well this one was an actual zip, containing the apk.
  3. Guchi

Guchi New Member

i can't do it......
  4. dccrens

dccrens New Member

I have got the sdk, eclipse, etc installed correctly. I can get into the shell by typing

"adb shell" at the linux cl.

But when I type "su" i get permission denied.

I can still cd to various directories on the phone. However, if I "cd data" and do and "ls", I get "opendir failed, permission denied"...

Do you have to be rooted to use this? From reading the posts, I thought you didn't.

Dave
  5. Vam.

Vam. New Member

Im trying this on a mac as well.

I navigate to the tools folder successfully, so that my terminal shows this:

Vambook-Pro:tools vamsinallamothu$

But when I attempt to go any further, this occurs:

Vambook-Pro:tools vamsinallamothu$ adb -s [A0000015B9EE21] shell
    -bash: adb: command not found

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Vam.
  6. miamidroid

miamidroid New Member

Try putting "./" infront of the command.
  7. Ahism

Ahism New Member

:D

okay fellers.
    I am on a PC and I typed this into the command prompt; C:\Useres\Pat>android-sdk-windows/tools
    I then got this in reponse; ' android-sdk-windows' is not reconizable as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Help would be nice. I'm trying to get the adb.
  8. MarcoTheMagnificent

MarcoTheMagnificent New Member

Okay. I'm having some issues and I'd like to see if anyone can help me or direct me to a forum already up to help me. Here's what I've got. I've got the motorola sholes (droid) and I thought I had it rooted. I installed the adb or sdk thing from the android developers website. It is located at C:\Users\Marc\Downloads and then the file has been unzipped so it's just a folder named Android. I'm not looking to change a lot of things or install 2.1. All I really want to do is change the boot animation. I can create my own zip file, so I'm not worried about that portion of it. I also want to change to the transparent notification bar. And possibly enable multitouch on the web browser.....for now. I'm trying to figure out how to do this. I believe I need to get the files off the droid for boot anim. I've gone through cmd and typed in adb shell. That seemed to work. I followed that with Is to view files, and then it said permission denied. I've gone through and rooted it though. I do not understand what's happening. Help? ...please.
  9. mackiv

mackiv Member

Hey OP(original poster) I'm not really sure if this is common knowledge, or if it was even already said, but if you take the adb tool and actually drag it onto the cmd prompt(windows) it will run the adb for you(after you hit enter).

thanx for the tut, I do have sum questions but i'll read thru this forum b4 i ask. thanx again!
  10. dmdj232

dmdj232 Member

I would just like to say THANK YOU!!!
    I have been asking for the last two days for someone to explain how to use ADB and explain it in a way where the "normal" user can understand!
    I followed your directions step by step and was able to understand how to use it
    THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!
  11. maximuscr31

maximuscr31 New Member

I am trying to get this to work on kubuntu 9.10. I am following sholes installation guide and this is apparently the area I am having a problem

I am entering
    Is this correct? I am new to this side of things in linux. I hate adding a windows partition for such a stupid mistake on my part. Where am I going wrong?

this is what I get when i try the adb command
  12. serveitup911

serveitup911 New Member

I also just get adb command not found. Running Ubuntu 9.10. Why does this have to be so complicated, manually editing .bashrc and crap. Can anyone point me to a tutorial for how to get adb commands working in linux? I have the sdk installed, but what do I do next so I can use commands?

Any help is appreciated.
  13. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

A tip for Windows users, if you find yourself using ADB alot, you can add the directory to your PATH system variable and the commands will run from anywhere in command prompt.
  14. wlscott

wlscott New Member

I have been trying to find a way to load apps to my phone that I have downloaded to my laptop. I am deployed to a country that I have no service in, so I can't use the market. I think this ADB may be what I'm needing. I'm trying to get Astro over to my phone now so I can get different apps loaded to it.

Will I be able to load apps to my phone from my computer with this?
  15. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

I feel that the serial number part should be taken out of the first post since the -s flag isn't needed. I wasted about 10 minutes trying to get it to work when i just tried "adb shell" and it worked perfectly.

As for finding your currently location pwd works better than using ls or ls -l to find your location, pwd's main function is to show your currentl working directory :D
  16. shocka2430

shocka2430 New Member

yes you could use adb to push apps to your phone, but you dont need to if you can connect your usb and choose mount on your phone. which i dont know since you dont have service. but if you can that is a whole lot easier then using the adb method just drag from your laptop onto your sdcard.
  17. kevdog

kevdog New Member

adb is great -- those that have a problem using it obviously didn't grow up using any type of command line and probably don't use any linux distro on a regular basis. End of rant.
  18. manningfan10

manningfan10 New Member

when i open adb the window pops up and just closes immediately. HELP!
  19. alfonso777

alfonso777 New Member

I am having this same problem except this is where I am getting stuck. I have my phone hooked up to the USB cable. Any ideas?

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner> cd\
    C:\>Android\android-sdk-windows\tools\adb
    Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.26
    (plus crapload of adb stuff here)
    C:\>Android\android-sdk-windows\tools\adb shell
    error: device not found
  20. RnD_Solo

RnD_Solo New Member

has anyone been able to find the config file that tells what to start at boot up??? ive been going through directory after directory for the last 45 minutes and i cant find it..

basically some apps i want to keep, i just dont want them to start when i boot the phone..i want them to boot when i start the app
Search tags for this page
adb command

adb commands

adb permission denied

adb reboot

adb reboot bootloader

adb reboot recovery

adb shell commands
how to run adb shell

how to use adb

how to use adb shell
using adb