How to upgrade LG Volt LS740VE 4.4.2 to Current 4.4.4 OS when Virgin Mobile or LG will Not?

LSwanston9

Reaction score
Just bought a new Virgin Mobile USA/LG Volt LS740VE cellphone [from Best Buy, Wilson NC] about 3 weeks ago. The following week after purchase my Nexus 7's OS was upgraded (by Google) to 4.4.3; a week later - last week - it was again upgraded to 4.4.4.
I called VM's tech support and they said the phone automatically upgrades the OS - which is does not. Then I called LG about "their" LS 740 VE cellphone which came with 4.4.2, and asked the same upgrade Q/A and their Tech said that it is not 'set' to upgrade.
Perhaps I should have bought a Google/Nexus-type cellphone {any recommendations} because if Virgin Mobile is selling 4.4.2 when the 4.4.4 OS is out, then some one needs to "watchdog and report them" - but in the "he who dies with the most toys wins" world that's par for their course. (Enough of the commentary.)
I need to know how to upgrade that Android OS to the current 4.4.4 OS without rooting [which I do not know how to do, nor probably don't want to do] or without breaking this brand new cellphone.
I read about the "8 Reasons to Install CyanogenMod on Your Android Device" in the How-to-Geek Newsletter and it stated that via the Cy's installation it would upgrade the OS to the current one, however I do not want to put something in that is 'beta-problem' prone. So - there lies the rub! How to upgrade my LG LS740VE cellphone to 4.4.4 or later when the Carrier nor the Manufacturer are willing to do so.

Any expeditiently informative, and directing response shall be warmly lauded. \ Thanks, Leonard > [email protected].

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Short answer, you can't upgrade when the carrier nor the manufacturer won't.

Long answer, you'll need to unlock the bootloader & root that device. If the bootloader isn't unlocked & there isn't a root method for your device then you can't upgrade the OS.

Tapped from a Moto X

OP
L

LSwanston9

Reaction score
Short answer, you can't upgrade when the carrier nor the manufacturer won't.

Long answer, you'll need to unlock the bootloader & root that device. If the bootloader isn't unlocked & there isn't a root method for your device then you can't upgrade the OS.

Tapped from a Moto X

OP
L

LSwanston9

Reaction score
Well, 'Tapped', I have NO idea what you are referring to [doing]. I only know about 'rooting' because I read about it, I guess that's about reverse-engineering to take it back to OEM before the bloat ware is installed. Either way, I guess I would have to learn how to do that (where ???), and I wonder would if mess up the phone or would Virgin Mobile do something because I did root and that then the new LG Volt wouldn't work at all ... ??? Hummmm, there got to be a way.
So, how would I find where the 'bootloader' is ... well, I'm upon for Nerd 101 'cause I paid [to me] too much {$149.99 + tax} money for the cellphone in the first place \ . Some help - well, a lot of instructing help would be appreciated., Thanking you, Leonard

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Unless the LG Volt is a developers edition, odds are the bootloader is locked. Which means you can't install any other OS. The Nexus line of devices are bootloader unlocked, that's why they are easily upgraded. There's a lot of Android devices that lag behind in upgrades & this is common. Long story short, and not to be rude, I wouldn't try to upgrade the LG Volt & just live with it. A lot of things could go wrong if you tried. We can give you all the links & advice but in the end, if you messed up you phone you will be the one paying the price. Usually rooting voids the manufacturer warranty. And your carrier or manufacturer wouldn't replace it

Tapped from a Moto X