How TO Update to 2.3.4 (4.08.605.2) GUARANTEED

jovelster

Reaction score
Okay im new to this forum .I was reading over and over how to get the second update. and i see people still had problems. I finally did it last night.and i figured out the problem. (IVE DONE IT ON 2 DROID INCREDIBLES )
1st. you should alredy have the first update 2.3.4 (4.06 xxxxx) which was like 80 mb. if not you can do it manually ,no root required (google it)
then where most people are having problems is with the second update its about 8 mb.
when i first got it.it downloaded it and restarted saying low memory so it cnt update.SO TO get throught that u must do this

2.move all apps possible.. to ur sd card (if ur apps rnt showing up.just unmount and remount the sd card)
3delete ur yahoo.
4.delete some messages from ur phone messages.try to have the least as possible.

keep doing that untill ur message that says low memory goes away

5. hold the power n cick restart. when it turns off hold powen n volume down button until u go into the sboot i think its called.
then go down to restore. when u get the red errow thing. hold the power and the volume up button. a little menu comes up n click the LAST OPTION... t says erase phone catche ..something like that. AND then restart

6.when it starts up go to settings then date and time. uncheck atomatic.. then mess around with the date. sometimes it still atomatically goes back to the current date.. what i did was also change the month to october n the year 2012..mess aroun with it untill it stays.

7. go home.click phone type *#*#2432546#*#* IT WILL SAY CHECK IN SUCCESSFULL then go back to the date and time.. n mess with the date. i put it as november 2010.n i got the update. ive done it 5 times on 2 different phones.. it takes 5 minutes the most after ur messing with the date.

you will recive the update and it will restart and do its thing....if at the end u still get the low memory notification. just delete more messages from ur phone messages.(step 2-4) and REDO STEP 5 THROUGH 7... ive done this multiple times n it works.. updated 2 phones succesfuly after finally understanding this consept.

Last edited:

nate39

Reaction score
Okay im new to this forum .I was reading over and over how to get the second update. and i see people still had problems. I finally did it last night.and i figured out the problem. (IVE DONE IT ON 2 DROID INCREDIBLES )
1st. you should alredy have the first update 2.3.4 (4.06 xxxxx) which was like 80 mb. if not you can do it manually ,no root required (google it)
then where most people are having problems is with the second update its about 8 mb.
when i first got it.it downloaded it and restarted saying low memory so it cnt update.SO TO get throught that u must do this

2.move all apps possible.. to ur sd card (if ur apps rnt showing up.just unmount and remount the sd card)
3delete ur yahoo.
4.delete some messages from ur phone messages.try to have the least as possible.

keep doing that untill ur message that says low memory goes away

5. hold the power n cick restart. when it turns off hold powen n volume down button until u go into the sboot i think its called.
then go down to restore. when u get the red errow thing. hold the power and the volume up button. a little menu comes up n click the LAST OPTION... t says erase phone catche ..something like that. AND then restart

6.when it starts up go to settings then date and time. uncheck atomatic.. then mess around with the date. sometimes it still atomatically goes back to the current date.. what i did was also change the month to october n the year 2012..mess aroun with it untill it stays.

7. go home.click phone type *#*#2432546#*#* IT WILL SAY CHECK IN SUCCESSFULL then go back to the date and time.. n mess with the date. i put it as november 2010.n i got the update. ive done it 5 times on 2 different phones.. it takes 5 minutes the most after ur messing with the date.

you will recive the update and it will restart and do its thing....if at the end u still get the low memory notification. just delete more messages from ur phone messages.(step 2-4) and REDO STEP 5 THROUGH 7... ive done this multiple times n it works.. updated 2 phones succesfuly after finally understanding this consept.

I can get it to attempt the update easily but it hangs up when it is supposed to reboot. It just won't finish the install. What gives?

OP
J

jovelster

Reaction score
@nate39

Does it give you the "not enough memory to install" notification at the end??? that hapened to me .just delete more things untill it lets you.

nate39

Reaction score
Actually I had to do the "clear cache" procedure posted on another thread twice and it finally updated, thanks

buddysharp

Reaction score
Jovelster, amazing post. I went through all forums for droid, HTC customer support and Tier 1 support, and Verizon Customer service,Tier 1 AND Tier 2 and no one was able to help me solve re-installing the second version of the OTA update. I didn't hit the low memory error, I had some other problem that caused the OTA to crash. Tier 1 at HTC told me they were pushing a third OTA maintenance update that would overwrite the first two OTA's and would solve all problems. But Verizon Tier 2 told me it was such a big patch that they were pushing it out 20K customers at a time and they had no way to push it to me directly. So, with my phone exhibiting all kinds of crash and malfunctions, I was told to just it and wait because my "baseband" version had been changed and there was no way to reexecute the second OTA. Until now. Phone upgraded to 4.08 on android 2.3.4.

OP
J

jovelster

Reaction score
@buddysharp

4.08 is the newest one.I wasent aware of another update ..but ur saying its just a bunlde of the 2 updates..so i probably wont get it... so if u alredy haave 4.08 (the second update) ... u still have problems with ur phone? mine works perfectly.everything is much faster... batter life always sucked..so kinda the same..on my brothers droid tho..he tells me the screen turns on by it self in the night...like some excorsist thing. lol.

OP
J

jovelster

Reaction score
@drakerocksu

I wasent aware you could have a check in failed... i never got that.. try restarting the phone?

OP
J

jovelster

Reaction score
@buddysharp

Nevermind I got you!. lol.
Im glad I helped.

r0ckinricky

Reaction score
i click restart and install and my phone doesn't restart same with my sisters tried at least 5 times i deleted all messages all email accounts and apps is here no manual update for this one yet ?

bjy20716

Reaction score
i click restart and install and my phone doesn't restart same with my sisters tried at least 5 times i deleted all messages all email accounts and apps is here no manual update for this one yet ?

My wifes has this same problem. She picks to install the update but the phone never reboots itself.

Anyone have an idea about this?

rldawg

Reaction score
Will not reboot.

I have the same issue. The update comes down and I tap the button that says Reboot and Install and the phone never reboots. I've called Verizon and they don't know what to do about it.

usher6360

Reaction score
I have the same problem with the rebooting.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

Surf4Marc

Reaction score
jovelster was right on!
After weeks of waiting for (an unspecified) bug fix and searching through countless threads, I tried the instructions in the beginning of this post (again).
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/members/236240.htmlEven though though my phone's internal memory appeared to be relatively empty (over 75% free in all areas), I continued to get the "Low Space" messages if I tried to install the update. Also, like others in this thread, after a failed update, the next attempt to update would not reboot the phone like it is supposed to.
The root problem did appear to be memory though. After I (finally) deleted all of my text messages, I was able to follow
jovelster's instructions and successfully complete the update to 2.3.4/4.0.8.605.2.
Be patient and persistent with the instructions. I followed them exactly as stated in the front of this post. Each attempt I had to change the date (Nov. 9, 2012 worked for me - finding a date that would stay was probably the most frustrating part), restart into the Boot menu and wipe the cache partition (this is the part that allows the next upgrade attempt to actually do the reboot), then send the 'check-in' code.
Initially, I deleted messages until the blasted 'Low Space' icon disappeared. That did not do it, I continued to get the Low space message when trying to update until I deleted ALL of my text messages. Truth be told, I probably should have tried deleting messages to/from my wife first, as that was the longest thread by far.
Anyway.. all of this to say, Thank you to
jovelster!
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/members/236240.html