How to "unroot" bionic??

Happyappy

Reaction score
I know this will be considered blasphemy here....but I need to know how to unroot my daughters bionic. We bought the phone 2nd hand from a third party who mentioned it was rooted. I never considered this a downside until recently when it's preventing us from upgrading the software on the phone.

I've tried doing a factory reset more than once, but the phone still won't accept the new software. Here are my questions:

1. How can I confirm the phone is rooted? Perhaps this isn't my problem at all...

2. Assuming it is, how can I either apply the new software while keeping the root, or unroot the phone to allow the software to apply.

Thanks all for any help you can provide.

Tonik

Reaction score
Being rooted by itself isn't causing the update to fail. It is some change to the phone that was done after rooting that is stopping it. So if you get rid of root you won't fix the problem...and you won't have root anymore to find the change they made and undo it. In the market download Root Checker, the free version to see if it is rooted. Then you/we will have to somehow track down what the previous owner changed that is stopping the update.

What is the error message you are getting when you try and update? That will give us clues.

ripper2860

Reaction score
I don't think the OP is referring to a VZ update. I know that on my rooted phone, I cannot use Blockbuster Movies or Google Video because it is rooted. The application will not run due to DRM being potentially compromised.

As for unrooting? Can't help there.

OP
H

Happyappy

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses. It's my daughter's phone so I'll need to run root checker and give you the error codes we get when trying to run the OTA update. We'll get back to you this evening.

Ripper...I should have been more clear. I am speaking of the Verizon OTA software upgrade on the phone.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Actually Tonik, it is completely possible that the root is preventing the update. Couldn't explain the semantics, but in my case when I was on .886, I also got the "Update unavailable at this time" message every time I checked. Also, I didn't start getting this message until immediately AFTER I rooted. Thought it would go away but...it didn't. So I unrooted, did a FDR, and sure enough immediately upon reboot it found .893 and asked to update. And since he's already tried FDRs with no luck, then this sounds like the exact same problem only on the next build. Not saying it WILL work, but it did for me.

As for unrooting, good luck. I've been asking for weeks now if it's possible to both unroot AND go back to .893, but every guide out there only explains how to flash back AND retain root.

mlfca

Reaction score
I had root on .886 and then side loaded 901 which killed my root. But certain apps were telling me I was still rooted? I just side loaded 902 and I still have this issue? (If I open the Verizon video app it says I am rooted) Is there a file I can delete???

It's not a big deal but at this point I would just like to be stock.

Thanks

bjjud

Reaction score
My previous Bionic would forever say "no Motorola Service agreement"...."would you like to get one?"....then it would try to contact some mythical server, which it could never get to, of course. I rooted the new one when it came in, and that problem didn't come back

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know this will be considered blasphemy here....but I need to know how to unroot my daughters bionic. We bought the phone 2nd hand from a third party who mentioned it was rooted. I never considered this a downside until recently when it's preventing us from upgrading the software on the phone.

I've tried doing a factory reset more than once, but the phone still won't accept the new software. Here are my questions:

1. How can I confirm the phone is rooted? Perhaps this isn't my problem at all...

2. Assuming it is, how can I either apply the new software while keeping the root, or unroot the phone to allow the software to apply.

Thanks all for any help you can provide.
this will remove root and allow u to update to .902 easily http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...01-902-compatible-902-update.html#post2006010

Last edited:
OP
H

Happyappy

Reaction score
We downloaded root checker and confirmed that it is rooted.

The phone is currently running android version 2.3.4. The phone shows that an update is available. When we run the software update it downloads the software fine then powers down and restarts. that status bar gets about a quarter of the way to complete then stops, a warning triangle shows above Andy, then the phone restarts. I don't see any sort of error message.

Sargentmajord: I appreciate the process you built...but I was hoping for a simpler solution. We'll definitely go that route if nothing else works.

Thanks all for your comments and assistance.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
We downloaded root checker and confirmed that it is rooted.

The phone is currently running android version 2.3.4. The phone shows that an update is available. When we run the software update it downloads the software fine then powers down and restarts. that status bar gets about a quarter of the way to complete then stops, a warning triangle shows above Andy, then the phone restarts. I don't see any sort of error message.

Sargentmajord: I appreciate the process you built...but I was hoping for a simpler solution. We'll definitely go that route if nothing else works.

Thanks all for your comments and assistance.
hey np an if u do go that route the whole process only takes at the most 25 mins u just plug ur phone in rds lite an walk away for 25 min then comeback an then tada ur done so its there if u need it an good luck with the unrooting process

OP
H

Happyappy

Reaction score
Thanks again all.

Looks like I'll be using the process designed by sargantmajord this weekend. I'll let everyone know how it worked out after we complete the process.

Thanks again for all the information.