[How To] Unlock Bootloader & Root Galaxy Nexus

1ceFiend

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have all drivers & the PDA Net file.
When I get to step:

9. Power down the phone.

10. Connect the phone to your computer via usb.

...when i connect my powered off phone... i get a "found new hardware wizard" pop up.

It is looking to install software/drivers for " OMAP4440 "

I have tried to have it find automaticly and no luck.

do i need this driver?

I have tried to procede but then i fail at seeing my device in device manager.

I have had the D1 since day 1 and have ran many of the custom roms posted here by many devs so, i can do things the manual way if necessary...

just hoping for some help.

thanx in advance

I'm also coming from a D1 and I found this to be a bit more difficult... It just doesn't happen in 5 minutes for some of us. But you don't have to worry about that pop up, it doesn't matter.

alpine

Reaction score
Thank you! My OG died last night, so when and picked the Nexus today. Followed your instructions and was rooted in about 5 mins, only thing is when you go to install pdanet it wants to reinstall the usb driver. I declined since the first download has the driver when installing. :biggrin:

alpine

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have all drivers & the PDA Net file.
When I get to step:

9. Power down the phone.

10. Connect the phone to your computer via usb.

...when i connect my powered off phone... i get a "found new hardware wizard" pop up.

It is looking to install software/drivers for " OMAP4440 "

I have tried to have it find automaticly and no luck.

do i need this driver?

I have tried to procede but then i fail at seeing my device in device manager.

I have had the D1 since day 1 and have ran many of the custom roms posted here by many devs so, i can do things the manual way if necessary...

just hoping for some help.

thanx in advance

After you install the samsung drivers, when you go to install pdanet there was a pop up about drivers? If so, click no to keep drivers since that is what the first step does.

SG181

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting root to stick I think. I've got the superuser app installed on my phone, but whenever I try to use the busybox installer (or any other app that requests su permission like Light Flow), it just says "Busybox has been denied Superuser permissions". When I go to Superuser, the only app that shows up on the "Allow" list is Root Explorer. I don't see any options to add apps manually. I've tried going to the Superuser settings and setting the automatic response to "Allow", but that didn't fix the problem. Has anyone else experienced this? I'd really like to fix this without having to do a complete factory reset and then root the manual way using ADB to ensure that everything works properly.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting root to stick I think. I've got the superuser app installed on my phone, but whenever I try to use the busybox installer (or any other app that requests su permission like Light Flow), it just says "Busybox has been denied Superuser permissions". When I go to Superuser, the only app that shows up on the "Allow" list is Root Explorer. I don't see any options to add apps manually. I've tried going to the Superuser settings and setting the automatic response to "Allow", but that didn't fix the problem. Has anyone else experienced this? I'd really like to fix this without having to do a complete factory reset and then root the manual way using ADB to ensure that everything works properly.

Did you update superuser from the market?

EmericanX

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
worked flawless for me... on a side not with superuser permissions denied.. +1 to making sure to update superuser... another thing to note. on mine the request window didn't show up the first time, so after the time out superuser denied. you'll just have to clear the logs so it'll ask for permission again.

jpin321

Reaction score
I'm a little confused I was reading up on Superboot. Is root permanent? From reading about superboot it looks like you will lose root when you reboot.

"The superboot image is also 'insecure', allowing you to use 'adb remount' as well as having full ADB root access to your device until such time as you reboot after running this process (it's a non permanent ADB root as it's a 'fastboot boot' and not a 'fastboot flash')."

lazarus2297

Reaction score
Ok so i can't get this work at all.. I even tried on my wife's computer that has never had any android phone plugged in.. I did this to ensure no rogue driver issues..

i have uninstalled every other android type manufacturer software..

From the instructions the one thing that never happens is the android 1.0 driver thing never shows up.. i install samsung drivers plug phone in let it install unplug phone install pda net (64bit since that what I am using) when asked i plug phone in with usb debugging enabled.. and it installs pdanet just fine.. power off phone and then plug in and it tries to install OMAP 4440 unsuccessfully.. then i boot into bootloader mode and it installs samsung serial control device and something else but no android 1.0 anything.. I am going to keep trying but figured i would post this for tips just in case...

pool_shark

Reaction score
I'm a little confused I was reading up on Superboot. Is root permanent? From reading about superboot it looks like you will lose root when you reboot.

"The superboot image is also 'insecure', allowing you to use 'adb remount' as well as having full ADB root access to your device until such time as you reboot after running this process (it's a non permanent ADB root as it's a 'fastboot boot' and not a 'fastboot flash')."

I used superboot Thursday. I have rebooted several times since then, I still have root.

anhanymouse

Reaction score
Ok so i can't get this work at all.. I even tried on my wife's computer that has never had any android phone plugged in.. I did this to ensure no rogue driver issues..

From the instructions the one thing that never happens is the android 1.0 driver thing never shows up.. i install samsung drivers plug phone in let it install unplug phone install pda net (64bit since that what I am using) when asked i plug phone in with usb debugging enabled.. and it installs pdanet just fine.. power off phone and then plug in and it tries to install OMAP 4440 unsuccessfully.. then i boot into bootloader mode and it installs samsung serial control device and something else but no android 1.0 anything.. I am going to keep trying but figured i would post this for tips just in case...

When installing pdanet, make sure you decline the driver update. Happened to me the first time. Worked flawlessly after I declined the update.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

devildog9999

Reaction score
Instructions were absolutely flawless. Worked 1st try no issues whatsoever. One thing to remember though - make sure you back up "anything" you want off of the device before doing it. I lost 2GB of pics and videos (well, I would have lost them). This does a full wipe of the internal storage.

SG181

Reaction score
worked flawless for me... on a side not with superuser permissions denied.. +1 to making sure to update superuser... another thing to note. on mine the request window didn't show up the first time, so after the time out superuser denied. you'll just have to clear the logs so it'll ask for permission again.
No luck, even after updating Superuser it still gives me the same message. I tried both clearing my log and restarting my phone, and it still won't work. I'd rather not have to wipe all my data and go back to stock just so I can go through the entire rooting process again. Is there any way to unroot then reroot without wiping data? If no one else has a solution, that may be my only option.

1ceFiend

Reaction score
No luck, even after updating Superuser it still gives me the same message. I tried both clearing my log and restarting my phone, and it still won't work. I'd rather not have to wipe all my data and go back to stock just so I can go through the entire rooting process again. Is there any way to unroot then reroot without wiping data? If no one else has a solution, that may be my only option.

I messed something up the first time I tried to get root. I had to go back and lock then unlock the bootloader so it would wipe everything. Then I redid the rooting process and it's working flawlessly. I was having a similar problem.

And I still haven't updated Superuser...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sounds like you're unlocked, but not rooted. Same thing happened to me. I had superuser app installed after superboot but didn't actually have superuser permissions.

Power down your phone and boot back into recovery. Connect to your computer via USB and double click the super boot file in the root folder on your C drive. Repeat this until you gain superuser permissions.

1ceFiend

Reaction score

One thing that helped me, and was going back and updating the samsung drivers again without pdanet, and it worked after. I posted my issues and how I fixed them a few pages before, if that helps. It's kind of hard remembering all the different things I've done now...