[How To] Unlock Bootloader & Root Galaxy Nexus

1ceFiend

Reaction score
You have to download it.

Here...

Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Moblie_Phones_v1_4_6_0

Put it in the root of C:/

I'm getting frustrated... I can't get past waiting for device and I've tried everything I could in this thread. I've reinstalled the drivers several times. Followed all instructions. But it still says that it can't find the drivers when I try to update android 1.0. Any suggestions? And I'm using 32 bit Xp and this computers a POS, if that helps. I'm starting to think I may just need to find a computer that doesn't suck, since I've had a lot of problems just to get here.

Snow02

Reaction score
Pm me team viewer id and pass. We'll get you fixed up. I'm free for the next couple hours.

RadHal

Reaction score
Try unplugging phone from USB, powering down phone, go into the bootloader, plug USB back into phone and see if it's recognized.

Tried that, but computer still not seeing the phone, getting "waiting for device" at CMD line. Nowhere do I see the android 1.0 driver in my device manager, I have the "SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface driver", could this be the issue. Maybe I have to try another longer method as I believe I got unlocked using the SDK method (I have repeated this process trying to root, so many times, unsuccessfully that it is becoming a blur). How does one know whether the bootloader is unlocked as there is no mention of locked status at the bootloader screen? I do have an unlocked padlock at the bootup splash screen with the black and white google logo.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Tried that, but computer still not seeing the phone, getting "waiting for device" at CMD line. Nowhere do I see the android 1.0 driver in my device manager, I have the "SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface driver", could this be the issue. Maybe I have to try another longer method as I believe I got unlocked using the SDK method (I have repeated this process trying to root, so many times, unsuccessfully that it is becoming a blur). How does one know whether the bootloader is unlocked as there is no mention of locked status at the bootloader screen? I do have an unlocked padlock at the bootup splash screen with the black and white google logo.

Ok, I know people that have needed to reinstall the drivers several times and try root more than once before they got it so I think you should try reinstalling the drivers again, I know it seem tedious but eventually your device will connect and you'll be able to run the bat file to root.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I'm getting frustrated... I can't get past waiting for device and I've tried everything I could in this thread. I've reinstalled the drivers several times. Followed all instructions. But it still says that it can't find the drivers when I try to update android 1.0. Any suggestions? And I'm using 32 bit Xp and this computers a POS, if that helps. I'm starting to think I may just need to find a computer that doesn't suck, since I've had a lot of problems just to get here.

Reinstall the Samsung driver for mobile phone, then run PDANet again and choose Samsumg, then try rooting again.

moneymaker19

Reaction score
I unlocked the bootloader but if I root will I still get the updates as long as i dont put a custom rom on yet ?

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I unlocked the bootloader but if I root will I still get the updates as long as i dont put a custom rom on yet ?

Yes, just don't accept the OTA if you have a custom recovery flashed. Or wait for a modified version of the OTA to flash manually with custom recovery.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Yes, just don't accept the OTA if you have a custom recovery flashed. Or wait for a modified version of the OTA to flash manually with custom recovery.

For what its worth Wicked said he was successful accepting/installing an OTA with clockworkmod Recovery. Even if not, you can always put that stock-recovery.p file back in /system and youll be back to stock recovery. I love this feature. Just another benefit that comes with having a Nexus.

P.s. nice beta team title blazed!

Last edited:

RadHal

Reaction score
OK I finally was able to launch the "install-superboot-windows" from the cmd prompt. I am at the bootloader screen, my phone is unlocked, at the bottom of the screen it reads " FASTboot STATUS - download: 00467800". Nothing appears to have happened after ~10 minutes. Do I need to select "Start" (I was concerned this would just start the phone normally and I didn't want to lose this screen). The other options are "Restart bootloader", "Recovery Mode", and "Power Off".
What should I do next.....?
thanks

All I did to install was..

1. Plug in phone
2. Downloaded the PDAnet/Drivers file
3. Install, click the Samsung phone choice
4. Reboot computer
5. Boot computer up, plug in phone, and the drivers should finish install instead of saying error on the last step
6. Boot off phone, get into the bootloader then replug it back into the computer
7. Type cmd in the Start menue
8. Once the prompt is open and the phone is plugged in, type in "cd C:/", then, "cd root", then "fastboot-windows oem unlock". Make sure that the "root" folder is in C: before doing this.
You should be brought up to the "Unlock" option, click it using power button.

Your phone is now unlocked.

For root:
1. Go into the "root" folder in C:
2. Click and install
3. Follow instructions, and it should reboot. It may stay on Google for like 3 minutes, then flash and it'll show up on the google screen and reboot normally.

Note: I did the update before all this.

1ceFiend

Reaction score
Reinstall the Samsung driver for mobile phone, then run PDANet again and choose Samsumg, then try rooting again.

Well, that didn't help directly, but did remind me what i was forgetting to do. I had to update the driver before I I tried unlocking it. I think I tried that before, but it didn't work until doing what you suggested. I've tried so many things its hard to remember...

And now on to the next part that isn't working! I can't get root. I double click the file, and command prompt pops up (sometimes it just flashes, sometimes it stays up) and says downloading 'boot.img' ... And nothing happens from there. my phone stays in the bootloader screen. Tried redoing all the drivers, again. Any ideas what's going on? I probably forgot something else again... *sigh*

hofy11

Reaction score
OK I finally was able to launch the "install-superboot-windows" from the cmd prompt. I am at the bootloader screen, my phone is unlocked, at the bottom of the screen it reads " FASTboot STATUS - download: 00467800". Nothing appears to have happened after ~10 minutes. Do I need to select "Start" (I was concerned this would just start the phone normally and I didn't want to lose this screen). The other options are "Restart bootloader", "Recovery Mode", and "Power Off".
What should I do next.....?
thanks

I also get identical massage --> FASTboot STATUS - download: 00467800 when i try to install the root file after the bootloader is being unlocked .... Can anyone advice anything, plz?

1ceFiend

Reaction score
I finally got it! After many reboots and redoing everything I could think of I, I just simply reopened the command prompt and tried it again, and it worked. Go figure.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I finally got it! After many reboots and redoing everything I could think of I, I just simply reopened the command prompt and tried it again, and it worked. Go figure.

Awesome! I think for some (like me) you just have to keep starting over and going through all of the steps and it will eventually work!

holmes

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have all drivers & the PDA Net file.
When I get to step:

9. Power down the phone.

10. Connect the phone to your computer via usb.

...when i connect my powered off phone... i get a "found new hardware wizard" pop up.

It is looking to install software/drivers for " OMAP4440 "

I have tried to have it find automaticly and no luck.

do i need this driver?

I have tried to procede but then i fail at seeing my device in device manager.

I have had the D1 since day 1 and have ran many of the custom roms posted here by many devs so, i can do things the manual way if necessary...

just hoping for some help.

thanx in advance