[How To] Unlock Bootloader & Root Galaxy Nexus

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well I'm at the initial setup so everything seems to be good. Totally forgot about root, had the phone the way I liked it too darn it....

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's weird....what app you using to tether?

Thought I'd be golden with wifi tether

No app. Its stock in Bluetooth settings. I have the wireless tether app, but I like options :happy3:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
No app. Its stock in Bluetooth settings. I have the wireless tether app, but I like options :happy3:
gotcha. I've always used wifi tether and never had a problem, then again the only phone I ever used it on was my Inc...

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here is a more clear set of directions:

1. Download and install Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Moblie_Phones_v1_4_6_0.
2. Connect phone to PC via USB.
3. Enable USB debugging.
4. Download and install Pdanet on both your computer and phone. Windows 32-bit or Windows 64-bit
5. Download and extract superboot folder, place it on C:/ and rename it to "root". Download Superboot
6. Power down phone.
7. Boot into bootloader(press and hole volume +/- simultaneously and power).
7a. Go to Start>Run and type "cmd" and hit enter.
7b. Type "cd.."(repeat until your at C:/)
7c. Type "cd root"
8. Type "fastboot-windows oem unlock" to unlockbootloader.
9. You'll receive warning about unlocking. Use volume + to highlight and power to confirm.
10. Click "install-superboot-windows.bat" that is in your "root" folder on C:/.
11. You should now have unlocked bootloader and root access.

Note: Phone will reboot and may take up to 5 minutes. If you get stuck at Google screen past 5 minutes
do a battery pull. After it's booted check for Superuser app and update(even if it says it's up to date).
Reboot after updating Superuser app.

Done.

This is good. I'll update my op with a bit more clarification when I get some spare time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Everything seems good to go. Oh man it's like getting this phone all over again:hail::biggrin:
All hail the mighty sbenson:hail:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
sb did you try the full blown manual method before yours? just curious... real helpful in learning what's going on... I ended up doing it manually, but using the superboot.img from your method b/c the original unsecure boot.img evidently doesn't work on .0.2.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
This is good. I'll update my op with a bit more clarification when I get some spare time.

Thanks. I reworded 7a. to make it clear that this part is on the PC and not the phone since the bootloader also says start when you're in it.

choklitcow

Reaction score
Everything went fine with the unlocking process, but now the phone has no reception. Eventually it will give up searching for service in the activation screen and let me turn on wi-fi. Re-locking has done nothing, even did a factory reset. Any tips?

Nevermind. After panicking for about 3 hours, the phone decided to find signal again. Nothing I did including full re-flash to stock did anything...but then it just randomly decided to fix itself? This phone is so magical it just fixes itself!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
nevermind. After panicking for about 3 hours, the phone decided to find signal again. Nothing i did including full re-flash to stock did anything...but then it just randomly decided to fix itself? This phone is so magical it just fixes itself!

lte ftw!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm rooted and everything is back to the way I like it. Gonna do a Titanium backup and try to figure out wireless tether. Thanks again sbenson!:hail::hail:

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just wanted to add a comment.

If u flash cwm recovery don't delete recover from boot p file in system with root explorer just simply add .bak to the end of it and remove all permissions.

This makes returning the stock recovery as simple as a reboot if ever needed.

sent from unlocked gnex

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
sb did you try the full blown manual method before yours? just curious... real helpful in learning what's going on... I ended up doing it manually, but using the superboot.img from your method b/c the original unsecure boot.img evidently doesn't work on .0.2.

No, I didn't feel like messing with the full root method. I'm not new to this stuff so I have a good grasp of what's going on. If I was just starting out, there's no doubt that I'd probably want to do it the hard way to wrap my head around everything.

I'm just glad this worked for a lot of you, and my hats off to those of you here providing support and ideas to those running into issues. Good work everyone.