[How To] Unlock Bootloader & Root Galaxy Nexus

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
The most difficult part of this was having to break out my old dell pc to do this cause I couldn't figure it out on my Mac, but the process was pretty easy when my dell booted up after 198 hours.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

Yep, I ran the PdaNet deal up to the point where you plug the phone in. I hit cancel (not going all the way through the bootloader and root process until I'm sure of everything) and then plugged the phone in and I no longer get the failed driver warning. I should be good to go no?

scdown

Reaction score
This was the key for me after installing the new samsung drivers (which for some reason took about an hour on my computer) once I rebooted into the bootloader my computer was no longer recognizing the device. I had to go into the device manager and find the driver from the list of samsung drivers as described above. After that I just followed the instructions and was done it about 4 minutes! Thanks to OP an Natolx!

Edit: I had updated to 4.0.2 BEFORE doing all this and everything worked fine.

Same experience here. For whatever reason, in fastboot mode, it appears to windows as an Android 1.0 device.

9wire

Reaction score
Think I'll wait for the clockwork, wanting to root and unlock, but want to be careful.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Yep, I ran the PdaNet deal up to the point where you plug the phone in. I hit cancel (not going all the way through the bootloader and root process until I'm sure of everything) and then plugged the phone in and I no longer get the failed driver warning. I should be good to go no?

Yeah, you should be ready to rock and roll my friend.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Yeah, you should be ready to rock and roll my friend.

Thanks! I installed the drivers you gave me again anyway just to be sure. I still want to be sure I'm putting that root folder in the rite place. It says put it in C:, is this anywhere on my pc basically or does it have to be in temp or program files or anything specific? Thanks again man!

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Thanks! I installed the drivers you gave me again anyway just to be sure. I still want to be sure I'm putting that root folder in the rite place. It says put it in C:, is this anywhere on my pc basically or does it have to be in temp or program files or anything specific? Thanks again man!

Just C:/. Go to My Computer>C:/ and drop the root file there and you're good to go.

craigboy

Reaction score
It looks like it worked, thank you so much everyone. The problems I had were two fold: I didn't have the right drivers and two: I renamed the parent folder "root" not the real folder, which is why cmd prompt wasn't recognizing my commands.