How to Uninstall system apps?

cowsquad

Reaction score
How do I uninstall system apps with terminal emulator? Could anyone give me the proper procedure to that? Thanks you in advance

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I would just get a file manager that has root access. There's a few free ones on the market. So much easier than terminal commands. Unless you just want to do it that way. If that's the case I can't help you there.

sent from somewhere...

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
How do I uninstall system apps with terminal emulator? Could anyone give me the proper procedure to that? Thanks you in advance

What system app do you want to uninstall? Some can be and other cannot without causing FC issues.

OP
cowsquad

cowsquad

Reaction score

What system app do you want to uninstall? Some can be and other cannot without causing FC issues.

Like google talk, dsp manager ,car home

OP
cowsquad

cowsquad

Reaction score

, old gallery

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would highly recommend against Uninstalling system apps period. Dl titanium backup pro, antek app manager or my backup pro and freeze the apps you don't want. You can always get them back then just in case.

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

You can use terminal emulator to remove system apps.

su to gain root
sysrw will mount the system as writable
cd /system/app will move you to the system app directory
ls will list the apps in the directory
rm xxx.apk will remove the app you want.
sysro will mount the system back as read only

I am not sure about 6.17, but I know that 6.10 would give you FC loop on boot if you removed google talk. Something about it is cooked into the system.

You should be fine removing car home, genie widget, and gallery3d. I would have moved them to /data/apps to make it easier to remove but they wouldn't work there.

Anything else you remove, I can't guarantee the results because they came with MIUI and I didn't add them.

If you want, instead of removing them, you can rename them with the command
mv xx.apk xx.bak

That should take them off the launcher and test if there are any problems with completely removing them. If everything is good, then you can repeat the procedure and us rm to remove the app completely.

bigdad63

Reaction score
+1 for titanium backup or system app remover. I end up using system app remover more because it's a little faster to backup, freeze, remove if all is ok, and reinstall if it's not.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score

You can use terminal emulator to remove system apps.

su to gain root
sysrw will mount the system as writable
cd /system/app will move you to the system app directory
ls will list the apps in the directory
rm xxx.apk will remove the app you want.
sysro will mount the system back as read only

I am not sure about 6.17, but I know that 6.10 would give you FC loop on boot if you removed google talk. Something about it is cooked into the system.

You should be fine removing car home, genie widget, and gallery3d. I would have moved them to /data/apps to make it easier to remove but they wouldn't work there.

Anything else you remove, I can't guarantee the results because they came with MIUI and I didn't add them.

If you want, instead of removing them, you can rename them with the command
mv xx.apk xx.bak

That should take them off the launcher and test if there are any problems with completely removing them. If everything is good, then you can repeat the procedure and us rm to remove the app completely.

I will be able to post the removable system apps, I always uninstall them so whenever I get the new build flashed I'll post...

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Removable system apps- (only if you don't use them and obviously anything in the settings that deal with these apps will force close/reboot)
CarHomeGoogle.apk
Email.apk
GenieWidget.apk
LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
Notes.apk
PicoTts.apk
SimpleLiveWallpaper.apk
TtsService.apk
VoiceDialer.apk
VpnServices.apk

Last edited:

nu2droid

Reaction score
I also use TB to remove unwanted apps like "Talk". I have had good luck with it not causing any force closes.
Let TB do a back up, then uninstall. With the back up, if there is any issue, you can put it back.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Or just freeze it. It's not like they take up that much space to begin with. That way, it's super easy to defrost if the app ends up affecting something serious

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.9

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I also use TB to remove unwanted apps like "Talk". I have had good luck with it not causing any force closes.
Let TB do a back up, then uninstall. With the back up, if there is any issue, you can put it back.

Removing the talk app can cause problems...not usually but I know one build in particular removing the talk app caused force close loops of the dialer...so be careful with that one