How to uninstall apps like Skype?

BOYJ

Reaction score
I have no use for the Skype app and others but when I go to home>>menu>>settings>>applications>>manage applications there is no option to uninstall Skype (the uninstall button is not highlighted). How can I delete apps like this? I am not rooted, running 2.2

atthehop

Reaction score
I think you need to root. I do not want to root but want all that junk off also. I hope someone works out an easy way to remove the junk.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't need to root to uninstall swype. If you have a program that installed swype for you like Astro File Manager then you would uninstall it there.

Go to whatever your file manager program is, search for swype, tap it an an option to uninstall it should come up.

I'm not positive OP that you can't delete it from the apps menu. When you went there did you remember to select all apps at the top of the menu? If you didn't go look again. If you did then try the way I described.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
To remove Skype and other pre-installed apps, you will need to root your phone.

OP
BOYJ

BOYJ

Reaction score
The Skype app was already installed on the phone when I bought it. Astro file manager will not give me an option to uninstall. I guess the only way to do it is to root the phone, but I am leery about doing that considering I do not want to turn my phone into a brick.

WolverineFan

Reaction score
Rooting??

Can n e 1 please explain what rooting ur phone means?? I'm a newbie with my Droid and was juat wondering?? thanks and sorry for stupid question

OP
BOYJ

BOYJ

Reaction score
I don't even think I entirely understand what it means...

smiller

Reaction score
I would like to remove these unwanted apps as well. How do I "root" my phone?

mauiblue

Reaction score
I would like to remove these unwanted apps as well. How do I "root" my phone?

There are a few articles on the Internet, forums, even YouTube on how to root a smartphone (for Iphone the term used is "jailbreak"). Google is your friend as well as forum search. Rooting a phone can be hazardous but many users have been successful. Go for it if you dare as the rewards are cool. For me, I'll keep my phone stock until I get the nerve to experiment or bored:).