1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How to turn off syncing to gmail, calendar, & contacts

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by pgloodt, Dec 22, 2010.

1. pgloodt

pgloodt New Member

Is there a way to stop Droid X from sync'ing to the internal g-mail, calendar, & contacts? I'm using third-party apps for e-mail, contacts, and calendar but need to turn off the automatic sync function to the built-in google features.
  2. JRobzilla

JRobzilla New Member

Under settings and then accounts select your account and uncheck the sync boxes

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  3. pgloodt

pgloodt New Member

Under "Settings", "Accounts", there are no "checkboxes" to uncheck. There are only two entries under "Accounts": Phone- Backup Assistant" and my gmail account which I had to set up when I purchased the phone.

If I select the gmail account, it opens to a sync window, but the only option is to turn sync "on". There is no checkbox to stop the sync function.

Pete
  4. travisn000

travisn000 New Member

there should be a section on that page labeled "manage accounts"... if you click on the account (email address) you will then get the check boxes for contact, calendar, etc
  5. droidx4me

droidx4me New Member

I am trying to do this as well and I get the same thing, there are NO checkboxes. I go to Settings, Accounts, and if I click on my gmail account I ONLY get the opportunity to "touch" each one to sync that item. My options are Sync Contacts, Sync Gmail, Sync Calendar.

Anybody have any ideas?? Thanks.
  6. erict

erict New Member

Not sure if this pertains to what version you are running. I am running 2.2.1 and when I go to settings, my accounts and click on my gmail(google logo) I have three green check boxes I can check to to turn sync on and off. The three boxes are, sync contacts, sync gmail and sync calendar. Not sure why others don't see these options.
  7. droidx4me

droidx4me New Member

How bizarre...I am running 2.2.1 as well. This makes no sense to me.

Thanks for your response, though.
  8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Just curious, when you bought the X did you not realize it was a google phone?
  9. droidx4me

droidx4me New Member

Yep, I knew...but other than browsing and maps/gps I don't use the big G for anything else.

As many others have said on this forum, I don't want all of my personal info out on G's servers. Plus, I sit in front of my computer all day, all of my tasks and calendars are in Outlook and I just want my pda and pc to talk to each other.

In the future this may change, but for now, I am happy to use the DX in a way that suits me best. So far so good:)
  10. gkwylie

gkwylie New Member

Figured it out!

I had the same question - and it took a couple of minutes for me to piece together the instructions JRobzilla gave...

The trick is to access the Settings from the App page. So...

Touch the App button (the little circled triangle) on your home screen.
    Go to Settings
    Go to Accounts
    Select your Gmail account

THEN there are three selections (with check boxes) to sync (or not to sync - that is the question!) your Contacts, Gmail, and Calendar.

If you were like me, I was trying to access it through the Gmail app! That doesn't work!

Good luck!

Kim
    The CPE Source - Unlimited Continuing Professional Education for Accounting Professionals
  11. morningglory

morningglory New Member

Help! Just tried the above and there are absolutely no check boxes. All I can do is Sync. I do not want my contacts or my email to be synced on gmail
  12. schatzy62

schatzy62 New Member

13. morningglory

morningglory New Member

Much thanks!! It worked. I have a separate toggle to shut of Data cause power control widget only shuts it of partially (still says 3G) All boxes unchecked!!
  14. Androidmeda

Androidmeda New Member

It didn't work on my phone

I followed the above instruction, but there still were no such checkboxes for Google Mail. It only allows you to sync only. This is really bad, because I really don't want to share my private phone numbers on Google Mail Contact. And, when I deleted some of those private phone numbers in the Contact of my Google Mail account, they were also deleted on my Android phones! Unfortunately, I haven't done the backup of the phone numbers on my Android phone yet, and I have no means to contact those people by email. So, my next phone may not be an Android phone.
  15. ericsbcn

ericsbcn New Member

It's not very intuitive, and it took me a long time to figure it out. But if you don't see the checkboxes under your Google account in My Accounts, it's probably because you have automatic sync turned off. And the only way to turn it on/off is via the power control widget. So you have to add the Power Control widget to you desktop and then press the fourth button on the widget to enable/disable sync.

The instructions are in the link provided by schatzy62 above. Although the bit about the Power Control widget is kind of buried at the end.

The weird thing is, if you have auto sync turned off, then data shouldn't be syncing with your Google account in the first place. So you shouldn't have been having a problem anyway.

- Eric S.
  16. hecksagon

hecksagon New Member

Theres a free app on the market called AutoSync Account Activator that lets you select sync time intervals for all of your accounts. I'm sure you can use this to completely disable their sync. You can also use it to sync over wifi only. Make sure that your contacts application uses its own database though. Many contacts apps are still using the google contacts database and therefore still need the sync functionality. If you are not sure, try to create a new contact in the google contacts app and then see if it shows up in your 3rd party contacts app. If so you should leave contacts sync at maybe a 24hr interval.
  17. hecksagon

hecksagon New Member

And if you are concerned about numbers syncing with your google account there is an option when you create a new contact whether you want it associated with your gmail account or just have it stored on the phone unsynced.
  18. Androidmeda

Androidmeda New Member

Thanks Eric S!

You're absolutely right, I couldn't see the checkboxes because I turned off Automatic Sync. Now that I turned on Automatic Sync, I could see all the checkboxes and disable sync for all accounts. HTC Desire HD doesn't seem to have Power Control widget, all these settings are done through Accounts & sync. Let's hope it works as expected!

Indeed, the data should not have been syncing with my Google account when the Automatic Sync was turned off. But, it did sync data with my Google account and leave me with a splitting headache trying to work out how to stop it. Thanks again!
Search tags for this page
disable android calendar sync
disable gmail sync

disable gmail sync android

disable sync gmail android

how to stop gmail sync in android

how to stop sync in android
how to turn gmail sync on android

how to turn off gmail sync android

how to turn off google sync

remove gmail calendar from android

remove gmail sync android