How to turn off auto system updates to avoid inability to root?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jbaughb, Nov 23, 2009.

1. jbaughb

jbaughb New Member

So I'd like to turn off automatic system software updates incase someone finds a way to root the phone with the "old" software version.

Is this possible?
  2. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

I don't think there is, you have the ability to just not install it from my understanding.
  3. cleverjake

cleverjake New Member

that would be asuming that rooting your phoen would require a certain version. As of now, the closest thing you could do is turn down automatic updates (they have to have your consent. Though, after several days, it will warn you that it is happening regardless).

Rooting instructions will come once it is fully discovered
  4. gtjokester

gtjokester New Member

No need to worry about that.. once we find a way to root the phone we will have to flash a new recovery image to keep root after reboot. That will most likely be signed with the test key and roms you install will need to be signed with the test key.. the phone won't flash roms signed with OTA release keys anymore.. Besides if you root your phone chances are that its so you can download and use custom roms and the rom devs are usually adding the things coming out in the next realease so u'll usually have the next release version by the time the OTA update goes out. At least that was the way it was with the roms that I ran on my G1. I never got updates from the system because the rom I was running was already up to date with lots of added functionality. I'm assuming it will be the same on the droid, i don't see why not.. unless of course you don't follow the dev that develops your roms and update it as they release them. rooted phones usually see alot more updates then non-rooted phones, if you like to try to keep up with the roms. I can't wait till someone finds a way to root!
Search tags for this page
android disable automatic system updates

android disable system update

android ignore system update

android system updates how to avoid

android turn off system updates

disable android software update
disable android system update

how to turn off system updates on android

stop automatic system updates android
system update android disable
turn off automatic system updates android