1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How to transfer contacts, phone log, other app data, etc from Gingerbread to ICS

Discussion in 'Steel Droid' started by Swamp_Droid, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Swamp_Droid

Swamp_Droid New Member

This forum has been an invaluable resource since I've had my Droid 3. Thanks to everyone for their contributions! I have been using the Steel Droid Gingerbread flavor. Now I am trying to upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich but I have a hit a wall and I can really use some help.

I have searched both this forum and through Google but I am not finding a solution to my problem. I am sure I am missing something obvious and / or over-complicating things. I would really appreciate some help and direction.

Here's my situation:

I have Titanium Backup Professional which I use for my backups on my Droid 3. I have no problems upgrading to Ice Cream Sandwich form Gingerbread. When I restore the Gingerbread backup from Titanium to the Ice Cream Sandwich system, I end up with errors in the media app, the Google play store and the device will get stuck in an infinite boot sequence. To get the device usable again, I have to restore to factory default and I am left with the default Ice Cream Sandwich setup.

I have since read that it is not a good idea to restore the Gingerbread backup to the Ice Cream Sandwich system because there are too many differences. That makes sense to me but it leaves me stuck and confused for what I need to do next.

How can I get my apps, app data, phone log, text messages, email settings, wifi hotspots, etc setup in the Ice Cream Sandwich system? Is there a different way to restore the Titanium Backup that will work for this specific situation? I would like to upgrade and not go back to Gingerbread if I don't have to but I need all of my apps and data or it wont' be worth it.
  2. Swamp_Droid

Swamp_Droid New Member

144 views, no comments ... no suggestions, help ...

Hopefully someone will help sometime.

For now, I've gone back to Gingerbread. There were no issues loading my Titanium backup and getting it going again.

For anyone else in the same boat, I found some additional information here:

ICS problems... what you can do! - Android Forums
  3. fourconsonants

fourconsonants New Member

When I switched from stock Gingerbread I was concerned with getting some data over, especially contacts (as I had made the mistake of not having them sync to my Google account) as well as past text messages (I'm not sure why, I just hoard data like that for some reason). I had trouble getting my phone to export all my contacts as a .vcf (it would complain there was no SD card to store the contacts on) and there's no inbuilt function for SMS backup. I ended up using a couple third party apps.
    I used My Contacts Backup to pull out my contact data as a .vcf. It's kind of an annoying app, and insists on emailing you the .vcf, so you may be able to find a similar third party app that makes a bit more sense, but I can tell you for sure this one works. Just keep the .vcf somewhere not on your phone where it won't get wiped, and then restore it on the ICS side.
    I used SMS Backup and Restore to handle my text message history. It churns through all your messages and spits out a file you can pull off your phone. Once you're done switching ROMs, just reinstall the app on the other side and restore the message history from the file.

I don't know much about restoring call history, since I didn't consider that information useful enough to keep around. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some app capable of backing up and restoring the data, though.
Search tags for this page
android backup contacts and texts gingerbread
android ice cream sandwich copy contacts

backup contats gingerbread to ics

backup move from gingerbread to icecream sandwich

copy bookmarks out of android gingerbread phone

copy phone log from droid phone
google gingerbread backup data, sms
how to back up ginger bread contacts android

how to backup phone book ice cream sandwich

how to take ics backup to gingerbread

import contacts from gingerbread to ics